Italian Civil War

If you can't figure where a given topic fits - place it here.
Yavid

Italian Civil War

Post by Yavid » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:50 pm

I was wondering if anyone has or knew of the Italians declaring war on Germany and have front line units in the Allied drive up the boot. I've read alot on the subject and haven't found anything. I'm wondering if anyone else has
Behold the Power of Yavid

Imperious leader

Re: Italian Civil War

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:42 am

I think not. Italian efforts after having Mussolini step down are regulated to cleaning up the streets of pro fascist elements and vigilance after knowing that Mussolini established his own republic in the North that contained a pro- German faction. Of course this faction was totally supported by German financing and material support.

If anything small pro- Mussolini units were formed.

Allied occupied Italy was concerned with stability of life after 23 years of Dictatorship.

When IL Duce was captured his support totally dissolved and some units just melted away in Northern Italy or even joined German forces.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Yavid

Post by Yavid » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:03 am

Yeah that's what I thought. I was looking something more along the lines of an Italian version of Free France and Vichy France. But other than limited actions like the German Fritz X bombing there is nothing even close to that degree of involvment in the Allied war effort. Oh and that Italy declared war on Japan. But nothing close to the Two Frances.
Behold the Power of Yavid

MrFreeze

Post by MrFreeze » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:30 am

Hey there,
According to the "World Almanac of World War II" (edited by Brigadier Peter Young), Italy declared war on Germany October 13, 1943.

According to "World War II: A Statistical Survey" by John Ellis, there were some pro-Allied Italian units:

"The first pro-Allied regular forces formed were the 1 Raggruppamento Motorizzato in September 1943. This saw combat from November 1943 and was renamed the Corpo Italiano di Liberazione in April 1944. In September/October 1944 this corps was broken up into the Gruppi Combattimento listed hereafter.

Infantry Divisions (total = 2)
184 Nembo formed 1943. Combat record: Italy April-Aug 44.
'Utili' formed 1944. Combat record: Italy April-Aug 44.

Gruppi di Combattimento (total = 4)
With an official establisment of 432 officers and 8,578 ORs these formations were a valuable addition to the always overstretched Allied order of battle in Italy whilst their combat contribution has been consistently underrated.
Cremona formed 1944. Combat record: Italy Sept 44-May 45.
Legano formed 1944. Combat record: Italy Sept 44-May 45.
Friuli formed 1944. Combat record: Italy Sept 44-May 45.
Folgore formed 1944. Combat record Italy Sept 44-May 45."

For post-surrender Italian pro-Axis units, there was an SS division and 3 or 4 division sized units. Different sources seem to vary, possibly considering the Italian SS division as a German formation. I hope this helps. I enjoyed looking up this info.