Larry plz answer: token "consumption"

Wacht am Rhein (Watch on the Rhein) was the German code name for this counter offensive. I don't want to hear anybody complaining about the weather this winter unless you were in the Ardennes during the winter of 1944! I simply love playing this game. Check out the new combat system when you can.
xxstefanx

Larry plz answer: token "consumption"

Post by xxstefanx » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:54 pm

Just curious:
Why did you decide that only 1 supply token is needed to move units into different hexes whereas there is 1 token needed for each attack direction?

Best regards
Stefan

Larry

Post by Larry » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:01 pm

Mostly because I did not want any “Free” attacks. I felt that paying a supply token to move a group (even if they went in separate directions) covered the movement bill but at the same time felt that each attack required its own separate supply payment. I kind of looked at it this way – Gas up and leave ( fuel) – thus one supply payment for everyone.
Gas up, leave and attack (ammo, medical supplies, fuel, rations)… well each of these involved some serious supply consumption.

Do you think it should be done differently?

xxstefanx

Post by xxstefanx » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:25 am

As I said I was just curious and perfectly ok with your decision!

We simply played it wrong first using a token for different directions for attack AND movement unitl we accidently noticed "oh, it's only 1 for all movements independently how many directions you move"!

Given that it is a supply token which involves ammo too it suits the situation, agreed!

Considering tokens there might be another question:
Why does the overall supply token reinforcement (9STs) not decrease for the Axis during the game? (The Allies are out of question as they could obviously supply the forces full scale!)

Thx for answering!
Great game! :!:

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:45 pm

What would this decrease depend on... be based on?
Also - Why go there...? That to me would be an unnecessary complication and unnecessary book keeping.
Thanks for your questions... Tough ones I must say. Makes me stop and think.

xxstefanx

Post by xxstefanx » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:54 am

The decrease would be based on "general supply problems". Basically as far as we know the Germans would never have been able to supply the whole 4 weeks on maximum scale (even if the wheather did not clear up!). So we more felt like 9 tokens for the beginning of the offensive like R1 and R2, and then slowly fading maybe 8-8-7-7-6-6 (depending on exact figures). Maybe this is wrong, as I have not re-read the exact supply figures but I think the OUTSIDE supply reinforcement to be brought to the battle could not been constantly kept on 9 STs.