First Time Playing

Wacht am Rhein (Watch on the Rhein) was the German code name for this counter offensive. I don't want to hear anybody complaining about the weather this winter unless you were in the Ardennes during the winter of 1944! I simply love playing this game. Check out the new combat system when you can.
FleetAdmiral

First Time Playing

Post by FleetAdmiral » Thu May 10, 2007 10:01 pm

I've read through the FAQ and all the other posts but these questions remain, and a friend and I played for a bit (we really mangled the rules).

Questions:

1) Turn 1 - Axis player attacks 1 hex for free, then after that both players must roll initiative to determine who attacks first in the next attack?

2) Attacking - After the 1st round of combat (attacker goes, and then defender's remaining units). Does combat continue if the attacker still has units and so desires?

3) Combat Phase - After being attacked. Does the defending player have the option to withdraw all surviving forces (those with 1 hit [forced to retreat] and not hit)?

4) Combat Phase - Retreat. If defending player has truck with him and it survives can that truck take the supplies in the hex and retreat 1 hex back (along with other survivors)?

5) Truck and Supply Losses - a re-clarification. Say that I have 3 infantry and 5 supply tokens. The attacking player rolls 4,4,4. The infantry does not get hit, but the supplies get hit. Question, do I lose only 3 supply tokens?
Ever had the IJN have 4 BBs, 4 fully loaded CVs, 2 DDs, 5 TRNs, and 1 Sub -VS- 3 US BBs, 3 fully loaded CVs, 3 TRNs, 11 DDs and 1 Sub?

Commands: Galactic Empire Data Bank

Frimmel

Post by Frimmel » Fri May 11, 2007 12:00 pm

1) Turn 1 - Axis player attacks 1 hex for free, then after that both players must roll initiative to determine who attacks first in the next attack?
On turn 1 only the Axis player makes any attacks. The Axis players makes as many or as few attacks has he chooses and when finished you move on to the movement phases.

After turn 1 there is a roll to determine who makes the first attack. The second player then gets to make an attack and players alternate until both no longer wish or can attack.
2) Attacking - After the 1st round of combat (attacker goes, and then defender's remaining units). Does combat continue if the attacker still has units and so desires?
I'm not quite sure what you are asking here. But each attack is only one round. A hex may be attacked more than once but each attack from any one hex has only one round. Forget any other A&A games you have played when playing BOTB. The combat system is not similar.
3) Combat Phase - After being attacked. Does the defending player have the option to withdraw all surviving forces (those with 1 hit [forced to retreat] and not hit)?
The only forces that move during the combat phase are those that are forced to retreat. Surviving units in a hex may move during movement.
4) Combat Phase - Retreat. If defending player has truck with him and it survives can that truck take the supplies in the hex and retreat 1 hex back (along with other survivors)?
A truck may move during movement and take the supplies with it without using a supply token. A truck may move troops and supplies if a supply token is paid to activate the hex for movement. This refers to trucks in enemy ZOC and that have not been commandered by the other side. Trucks not in enemy ZOC automatically return to the off board area.
5) Truck and Supply Losses - a re-clarification. Say that I have 3 infantry and 5 supply tokens. The attacking player rolls 4,4,4. The infantry does not get hit, but the supplies get hit. Question, do I lose only 3 supply tokens?
That is correct. I often, at least as Allies but supplies and trucks in a hex as "fodder." I don't so often as Axis as they have fewer supplies and trucks

FleetAdmiral

Post by FleetAdmiral » Fri May 11, 2007 6:36 pm

Thank you very much. The posts, the FAQ and you answering my questions completely clears things up. The next time we play, we will not be mangling the rules...
Ever had the IJN have 4 BBs, 4 fully loaded CVs, 2 DDs, 5 TRNs, and 1 Sub -VS- 3 US BBs, 3 fully loaded CVs, 3 TRNs, 11 DDs and 1 Sub?

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed May 16, 2007 6:29 pm

Great... comments noted

FleetAdmiral

Post by FleetAdmiral » Thu May 17, 2007 12:49 am

Sorry got a few more questions - which came up after implementing the proper rules in tonight's game:

1) Counter-Attack (defender's remaining unhit units) when they counter-attack do they use supplies? <-The situation, the attacker destroys and forces a retreat of 3 of the defenders 6 infantry. Do the defender's remaining 3 infantry return fire for that round of combat? If so, do they require supplies?

Frimmel

Post by Frimmel » Thu May 17, 2007 8:27 am

They do not return fire. When it is their controller's turn to attack they may expend a supply to do so or more than one if they wish to attack more than one hex.

8) I'll say it again, "Forget the other A&A combat systems when playing BOTB." 8)

Only one hex attacks at a time and only the attacking player rolls dice. Resolve attack. Only units forced to retreat are moved. The other player gets to be attacking player. Repeat until no one can or wishes to attack proceed to movement.

If a hex is attacked- it may still be attacked from if it has units in it and supply to do so.

FleetAdmiral

Post by FleetAdmiral » Fri May 18, 2007 3:35 pm

Okidoke Thank you. That resolves that.

I'm just so used to the other A&A system - and at the moment I'm working on a grand total of 100 National Advantages (20 per nation) for Revised for the next game we're going to play. So far I've got 93 completed...

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sun May 20, 2007 8:22 am

Thanks, Frimmel!
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok