Bombers & Supplies

Wacht am Rhein (Watch on the Rhein) was the German code name for this counter offensive. I don't want to hear anybody complaining about the weather this winter unless you were in the Ardennes during the winter of 1944! I simply love playing this game. Check out the new combat system when you can.
Dagon81

Bombers & Supplies

Post by Dagon81 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:54 pm

Its really a detail but why can't bombers carry supplies to sieged hexes? These airdrops happened frequently during this battle...

Anyone thought about this?

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:59 pm

This is an interesting concept, and it might make for a good house rule. Here's how it might work:

Any bomber can carry four Supply tokens from the Offboard Area to any hex during the Air Combat phase instead of attacking. The tokens are placed next to the bomber during the dogfight to determine whether that particular bomber is hit. If the bomber is shot down, the Supplies are lost.

At the beginning of the Reinforcement phase (after Movement), for each surviving bomber, roll a die for each dropped Supply token. On a 7 or higher, the token lands in the target hex. On a 1 through 6 it lands in an adjacent hex instead:
1 - the hex to the East
2 - the hex to the Southeast
3 - the hex to the Southwest
4 - the hex to the West
5 - the hex to the Northwest
6 - the hex to the Northeast

Any Supplies that land off the board are lost. Supplies landing in hexes with enemy combat units are commandeered as normal, as well as those landing in hexes containing enemy Trucks and Supplies.

What do you think?
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Dagon81

Post by Dagon81 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:32 am

I was more surprised when I read the rules and couldn't find anything about this kind of transportation.

4 supply tokens might be too much... or not. I really dont have an idea of the transport capacity... Would love to know if this rule was ever thought about when Larry was developing Axis & Allies: Battle of the Bulge and put aside or just never thought...

Good idea! I think the randomness of the airdrops might work fine with your concept :)

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:18 am

I chose four Supply tokens because it "feels" like a good number. Trucks can carry six, and I didn't want the air drops to be as effective as Trucks. Since only 50% of the airdropped Supplies will reach their target on average, four seemed like the minimum capacity to make it worthwhile.

Maybe Larry will shed some light on whether or not this concept was ever considered for the game during development.

Larry

Post by Larry » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:53 am

Indeed air re-supply was considered. It didn't quite make it however. I don't recall the specifics at this point. It almost certainly was a balance issue. Try it if you like... I'd suggest you follow Krieghunds rules as writen here . If my original intent was not exactly as Krieghund has submitted here it would differ only in the number of supplies per bomber. I think 4 is a lot but thats purely subjective not mechanical. If you need a number ... make it 3 per bomber. :D

Dagon81

Post by Dagon81 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:04 am

Alright! When I first thought about this I was more into 1 - 2 supplies per bomber... as these would always land in the right hex but it makes much more sense krieghund's way with 3 or 4 supplies per bomber...

Maybe the problem was because this way blitz movements by the german tanks are not halted with weaker truck supply lines...? But anyway, these can only be delivered later and only one german bomber (if survives) may deploy these... so no big difference.

Thanks a lot Larry :)

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:26 pm

If you try this, let us know how it works out.