Hit allocation - small targets

Wacht am Rhein (Watch on the Rhein) was the German code name for this counter offensive. I don't want to hear anybody complaining about the weather this winter unless you were in the Ardennes during the winter of 1944! I simply love playing this game. Check out the new combat system when you can.
captainzlog

Hit allocation - small targets

Post by captainzlog » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:35 am

This question comes up particularly in the early turns; if for example there are 1 US infantry and 1 artillery attacked by heavy german forces, how do you allocate the hits? If the germans score say, 7 hits against those 2 pieces, do only the 1 and 2's count (i.e. will a 3 wrap around to the 1 slot and hit the same target even though it may be destroyed)?

And when allocating multiple hits, do you still count the spaces that have been hit already, even if they have two hits on them?

Krieghund

Re: Hit allocation - small targets

Post by Krieghund » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:32 am

captainzlog wrote:This question comes up particularly in the early turns; if for example there are 1 US infantry and 1 artillery attacked by heavy german forces, how do you allocate the hits? If the germans score say, 7 hits against those 2 pieces, do only the 1 and 2's count (i.e. will a 3 wrap around to the 1 slot and hit the same target even though it may be destroyed)?
Any result of 6 or less is always a hit, regardless of the number of targets. The hit numbers in excess of the number of defending units do wrap around. In your example, 3s and 5s will hit the infantry, and 4s and 6s will hit the artillery. In the case of a single defending unit, all hits would be assigned to it.
captainzlog wrote:And when allocating multiple hits, do you still count the spaces that have been hit already, even if they have two hits on them?
Yes. It's possible to hit a unit more than twice. Any excess hits are wasted. In your example, it would be possible that all seven hits are resolved against one unit (if they were all even or all odd numbers), leaving the other untouched. The fortunes of war...
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok