FAQ

Wacht am Rhein (Watch on the Rhein) was the German code name for this counter offensive. I don't want to hear anybody complaining about the weather this winter unless you were in the Ardennes during the winter of 1944! I simply love playing this game. Check out the new combat system when you can.
Krieghund

FAQ

Post by Krieghund » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:55 am

I am putting together an "unofficial" FAQ. I have only 4 questions so far, but it's a start! Could you "regulars" (especially Larry) read these over and let me know if there are any mistakes or omissions, or any other questions that need to be added? Thanks.

Q:On page 12 of the Operations Manual, under Air Combat Initiative Roll, it states that "Each player rolls a die; high roller chooses who places Aircraft first." Under Place Aircraft, it states "The player who won the Air Combat Initiative places all of his or her Aircraft in any hexes he or she chooses, and then the other player does the same." Which is correct?

A: The player who won the initiative roll chooses who places Aircraft first.

Q: Who moves units retreated in the Air Combat and Ground Combat phases?

A: The player who owns the units moves them.

Q: On page 18 of the Operations Manual it states that "Whenever a ground unit enters or leaves a hex that falls within an enemy zone of control, its movement stops." Does the condition of a unit starting its movement in an enemy ZoC prevent it from moving to an adjacent ZoC hex?

A: No, an activated unit may always move at least one hex. In this case, you have two conditions that stop movement, but they occur simultaneously as the unit crosses the border between the two enemy ZoC hexes.

Q: I am a little confused about how truck movement works. Could you explain it to me?

A: At the beginning of the Movement and Reinforcement phase, you may move any of your "free" trucks that are on the board to your off-board area. Free trucks are trucks that either are not in an enemy zone of control (ZoC) or are in a hex on the edge of the board (even if that hex is in an enemy ZoC).

During the Movement part of the phase, each truck that remained on-board can drive all over the board (and off it), staying on road hexes, until the truck either enters or leaves an enemy ZoC, enters an enemy-controlled city, or decides to stop. As the truck moves it can load up to a total of six supply tokens and/or activated units (infantry and/or artillery) that have not moved yet from the hexes it passes through (and the off-board area if moves there). If the truck moves off-board and returns, it may re-enter the the board in any valid reinforcement entry hex (see page 21)*. The truck may not unload until its movement stops, at which point it unloads all of its cargo into the hex in which it stopped.

During the Reinforcement part of the phase, each off-board truck (including this turn's reinforcement trucks) can load up to a total of six supply tokens and/or infantry and/or artillery units from the off-board area (including this turn's reinforcements), then enter the board and move exactly as in the Movement part of the phase, filling any remaining cargo spaces as it moves. These trucks may enter the board in any valid reinforcement entry hex, regardless of the reinforcement chart they or their cargo came from.

Supplies may only be moved by truck. No supply tokens need to be paid to move either trucks or supplies.

Questions for Larry:

1. Is the italicized part (also marked with a *) of the above truck movement answer correct? Or do trucks that move off-board during Movement re-enter the board during Reinforcement?

2. Does a truck have to be able to trace a clear path to the edge of the board to be moved off-board at the beginning of the Movement and Reinforcement phase? This would only be an issue if a truck is surrounded by enemy units, but not in an enemy ZoC.

3. If so, does this clear path have to exit the board on the right side of the front lines?

4. What about if the truck is behind enemy lines, but not in an enemy ZoC?

5. Can a tank's blitz ability be used to move an extra hex after stopping movement in an enemy-controlled city?
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:03 pm

Questions for Larry:

1. Does a truck have to be able to trace a clear path to the edge of the board to be moved off-board at the beginning of the Movement and Reinforcement phase? This would only be an issue if a truck is surrounded by enemy units, but not in an enemy ZoC. This is a great question… As the rules of the game read – Trucks that are not in a ZOC can be moved off-board. This is not in the spirit of the game. I want to consult with Bill Mcquillan\ (Lead developer) on this. Please ask me about this again near the end of next week.

2. If so, does this clear path have to exit the board on the right side of the front lines? Yes (it would)

3. What about if the truck is behind enemy lines, but not in an enemy ZoC? It would not be able to exit.

4. Can a tank's blitz ability be used to move an extra hex after stopping movement in an enemy-controlled city? Yes.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:12 pm

What about question 1:

1. Is the italicized part (also marked with a *) of the above truck movement FAQ answer correct? Or do trucks that move off-board during Movement re-enter the board during Reinforcement?

Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:42 pm

I’m not totally ( 100%) certain I understand you question. For that I do beg your pardon.
With that said… Trucks that move off-board during movement can re-enter the board during the reinforcement moment. YES

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:47 pm

The question is, if a truck moves off the board during the Movement part of the Movement and Reinforcement phase (not at the begining), does it re-enter the board during the Movement part or the Reinforcement part? Sorry if i'm being picky, but I want to make sure I get it right.

Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:57 pm

Ok.. Thanks for spelling that out to me.
The answer is ...YES

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:15 am

OK, I am amending the last question as follows:

Q: I am a little confused about how truck movement works. Could you explain it to me?

A: At the beginning of the Movement and Reinforcement phase, you may move any of your "free" trucks that are on the board to your off-board area. Free trucks are trucks that are not in enemy-held territory and either are not in an enemy zone of control (ZoC) or are in a hex on the edge of the board (even if that hex is in an enemy ZoC).

During the Movement part of the phase, each truck that remained on-board can drive all over the board (and off it), staying on friendly road hexes, until the truck either enters or leaves an enemy ZoC, enters an enemy-controlled city, leaves the board, or decides to stop. As the truck moves it can load up to a total of six supply tokens and/or activated units (infantry and/or artillery) that have not moved yet from the hexes it passes through. If the truck moves off-board, it may continue its move by re-entering the board in Reinforcement part of the phase. The truck may not unload until its movement stops on-board, at which point it unloads all of its cargo into the hex in which it stopped.

During the Reinforcement part of the phase, each off-board truck (including this turn's reinforcement trucks) can load up to a total of six supply tokens and/or infantry and/or artillery units from the off-board area (including this turn's reinforcements), then enter the board and move exactly as in the Movement part of the phase, filling any remaining cargo spaces as it moves. These trucks may enter the board in any valid reinforcement entry hex (see page 21), regardless of the reinforcement chart they or their cargo came from.

Supplies may only be moved by truck. No supply tokens need to be paid to move either trucks or supplies.

Look OK so far?

Of course, I may need to edit this again pending your consultation with Bill McQuillan on the answer to my previous question.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:41 am

Larry wrote:Questions for Larry:

1. Does a truck have to be able to trace a clear path to the edge of the board to be moved off-board at the beginning of the Movement and Reinforcement phase? This would only be an issue if a truck is surrounded by enemy units, but not in an enemy ZoC. This is a great question… As the rules of the game read – Trucks that are not in a ZOC can be moved off-board. This is not in the spirit of the game. I want to consult with Bill Mcquillan\ (Lead developer) on this. Please ask me about this again near the end of next week.

2. If so, does this clear path have to exit the board on the right side of the front lines? Yes (it would)

3. What about if the truck is behind enemy lines, but not in an enemy ZoC? It would not be able to exit.
Something else to consider regarding these questions. If it turns out that on-board trucks need to be able to trace a path along friendly roads to get off-board, it would also seem that trucks in enemy ZoC on the edge of the board would need to be in a hex that contains a road going directly off-board in order to move off-board.