FAQ

Wacht am Rhein (Watch on the Rhein) was the German code name for this counter offensive. I don't want to hear anybody complaining about the weather this winter unless you were in the Ardennes during the winter of 1944! I simply love playing this game. Check out the new combat system when you can.
Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:19 pm

Well said

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:38 pm

Here's a question from the AH boards today (paraphrased):
If a German unit moves into a hex occupied by an Allied Truck, does the Truck get a chance to move away to avoid being commandeered, since it is not actually commandeered until the Board Upkeep phase?
And here's what I answered:
While the rules don't explicitly state that trucks in hexes with enemy units may not move, this is implied by the rule on page 18 regarding commandering: "If you move an Infantry, Artillery or Tank into a hex containing enemy Trucks or Supply tokens, you will commandeer those Trucks and tokens when the front-line markers are updated." Since the rule does not say "unless they move away", it can be assumed that they are stuck in place once enemy units enter the hex. This is an advantage for the Germans that reflects the surprise offensive.
I got to thinking about it, and now I'm not entirely sure I'm correct (just pretty sure). If the Trucks can move, the Germans would have to totally surround them to commandeer them, and that doesn't seem right. Larry?
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:35 pm

Indeed, such trucks and supplies are in fact captured immediately when the hex is entered. The trucks that are commandeered are actually converted and taken control over when the front-line markers are updated. Your take is completely correct (as usual).

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:30 pm

OK, here's the FAQ version of this question:

Q: If a German unit moves into a hex occupied by an Allied Truck, does the Truck get a chance to move away to avoid being commandeered, since it is not actually commandeered until the Board Upkeep phase?

A: No. Trucks are captured as soon as enemy combat units move into their hex, even though they are not commandeered until the Board Upkeep phase. When they are captured, they may no longer be used by their former owner. However, they also may not be used by their new owner until they are commandeered. This interrim period (the remainder of the Movement and Reinforcement phase) represents the time necessary to take prisoners and assign personnel to the newly captured Trucks.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:52 pm

And another one from the AH boards. You were right, Larry, they continue to roll in!
What if German tanks blitz through an unoccupied supply depot? The rules state that the supplies are commandeered in the upkeep phase, but is there anything stopping the allies from using the supplies until then?
My answer:
At this point I would say that the supplies will not be commandeered unless at least one German unit remains in the hex to claim them. The rules say that you have to move "into" a hex to commandeer its contents. I usually interpret moving "into" an area to mean you have to stop there, as opposed to moving "through" an area.

With this interpretation, the German tanks would not commandeer the supplies at all, so the Allies would be free to use them. In fact, the hex would remain in Allied hands.

If I am wrong, by strict reading of the rules, the Allies would still be able to use the supplies until the front lines move, since there are no enemy units in the hex. This makes little sense, so I think it supports my position.

I will pass this on to Larry for an official ruling.
Am I right?

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:01 pm

Indeed you are correct.
Let me try to help make this clear. If a German combat unit (infantry, artillery, or armor) moves into a hex that contains only American supplies and/or trucks, they (the supplies and the trucks) are immediately unusable by the American player. The trucks cannot be moved and the supplies cannot be used – by either side.

Officially the trucks and supplies in question are not commandeered until the front-line markers have been updated. This waiting for the front-line markers to be updated is designed to prevent the German player, in this case, from using the soon to be commandeered trucks and supplies during the turn of the capture.

It might seem that trucks and supplies should be considedred captured upon the entry of enemy units into their hex, but that would suggest that the newly captured supplies and trucks could be immediately used by the capturing player. That would be an incorrect assumption. They are not commandeered (captured) until the front-line markers have been updated and we all know that the front-line markers are not updated until after all movements have been completed. That would make it too late for the capturing player to actually use the newly captured supplies and trucks.

By the way “Movement into” absolutely means to remain in the given hex. A tank blitzing through a hex and not remaining on it, cannot capture the by passed trucks and supplies. Indeed the hex and its contents, as presented in this example, would remain in the American players hands.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:20 am

Thanks. I've passed this along.

Nuclear

Post by Nuclear » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:17 am

Tip/suggestion for Larry. When you come out with an Axis and Allies Game that has confusing rules, perhaps instead of providing just an instruction manual, you could provide a video that explains how to play the game.

My dad and I spent over 7 hours trying to figure out the rules. Lets just say that your rules are harder to read then the Philosophical Articles that I read which are very involved.

I am currently going for BA in philosophy and plan to continue onto to get an MA. However your rules seem to not even follow logic at times. Your rules have too many different possible meanings.

At the end of it, my dad and I got fed up with trying to figure out the game, and just walked away from it. In my opinion it was a waste of money. It is worthless without understandable rules.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand Binary and those that do not.