Axis & Allies (Revised) Deluxed

We've talked about Advanced A&A... Now I'd like to hear your comments on what YOU envision a DELUXE A&A GAME to be. What would it look like.
allweneedislove

Post by allweneedislove » Fri May 25, 2007 9:59 am

everyone seems to want a fix for the suboptimal submarine.

convoy zones do a good job of transforming subs closer to thier true nature of economic and logistical shit disturbers, rather than thier current use of a warship for attacking other warships.

however, convoy zones will not work on a map the scale of revised. a good fix for this would be to have subs do economic damage like strategic bombing raids for bombers.

allweneedislove

Post by allweneedislove » Fri May 25, 2007 10:01 am

a good mechanic to make subs economic attackers as well as warships is to use the following rule wereby subs that are in a sz next to a british, american, or japanese industrial complex takes away 2ipc from the collect income phase of that powers turn. if the sub is one sz away from the industrial complex it takes away 1ipc. this idea came from axis and allies revised enhanced(aare)

this is a simple fix for the sub and gives the sub a new feel (economic inhibator). it also encourages sub purchases as they have new benifits.
Last edited by allweneedislove on Tue May 29, 2007 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrazyStraw

Post by CrazyStraw » Fri May 25, 2007 1:50 pm

Flashman wrote:Didn't quite know where to put this, but I wondered if people have seen these A&A "tutorial" videos? Check out the first turn UK purchase.

http://www.morrisongames.com/
Hey Flashman.

I think tutorials are a great idea to include with a deluxe set. Over at Caspian Sub, we wrote one-page cheat sheets for each power.

The idea was that you could hand the sheet to a generally experienced gamer, and he would start off playing a competent game. The sheet listed moves for the first turn, goals for short/mid/long term, and some variants.

So I HEARTILY ENDORSE the tutorial concept in some form.

Heck, at one point I recommended that someone write up tutorials for LHTR, and I even gave permission for an LHTRist to rip off our template and slap an LHTR logo on it ;)

As for the Morrison material, I appreciate his efforts, but he recommends moves that are both flagrantly illegal and strategically bad. I suspect if he played a wider set of guys his recommendations would improve.

That being said, he's got the right idea about how to build the game.

Peace
Carthago Delenda Est

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri May 25, 2007 4:02 pm

What were his illegal moves?

And does anyone leave areas empty like that? Surely you would always leave at least one infantry to defend an IPC territory, yet he just abandons Leningrad to the Germans!

CrazyStraw

Post by CrazyStraw » Sun May 27, 2007 9:58 am

It's been a while since I looked at his stuff, but as I recall he recommends going for rockets and heavy bombers simultaneously, which is illegal. There were other issues with movement, and then there were strategies like building an IC in South Africa.

But I don't want to hijack this thread - let's get back to the main topic.

Peace
Carthago Delenda Est

questioneer

Post by questioneer » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:01 am

Hey Larry,

When do plan on creating this game and about what time would you like it on the market?

Fall 2008 maybe???

Questioneer

trihero

Post by trihero » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:27 am

I just had a few questions:

1. Do you plan to address the "imbalance" between Axis and Allies? I have to say that actually I am quite amazed at how close the battle between the two are in Revised. It's really close.

But in any case, it's generally accepted that the Axis need somewhere between 3-9 extra IPCs to start with in order to have a fighting chance. If you were to release a deluxe Revised, would you try to address this small imbalance with some sort of initial unit change?

2. Do you plan to rebalance navy costs at all? Sometimes I get the feeling that destroyers at least are overpriced; no one really builds them except for the one token one you need to counter subs.

I know you probably aren't trying to make a massive overhaul and I'm quite pleased with the overall game, but maybe a couple of babysteps would help the balance.

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:18 pm

Trihero
I plan on make some serious changes. Thats about all I can get into at this point. I'm presently overseas and will be more forthcoming in the future.