The Rules:

We've talked about Advanced A&A... Now I'd like to hear your comments on what YOU envision a DELUXE A&A GAME to be. What would it look like.
Home Guard

Revised Rules

Post by Home Guard » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:02 am

Hi all
Thanks for your comments Larry and Micoom I think you are right about Japan and the Dutch East Indies.

If it is ok with you all I would just like to offer some more ideas. I understand that they may appear a bit radical and therefore beyond the bounds of this Deluxe version but somebody might be able to test them, here goes.

3:- National Advantages/Secret Operations

I think NA's are a good way of adding more flavour but I would like to see this expanded and played in such a way that each power would get a suprise element.

Each power would get at the start of the game say 12 Secret Operation Cards - Each round they could take the top card and keep it secret until played.

On these cards would be a mix of the best NA's plus new more specific opereation cards. For example Russia could still have there Winter card and Germany could have a Barbarossa Card, a Breakthrough in Tech Card etc.

As I see it one card per round could be played at any time to gain the best suprise effect.

Say as an example on Japans turn just before combat in a naval battle USA plays the Pacific Code Breaking Card and can move an extra 3 units into the battle.

Once a card is played its removed unless it's a NA's that then lasts all the game. There would be a max of 3 cards per hand - I see the German player watching his back to see if USA and UK have both of their Joint Strike cards etc, bringing a bit of bluff and double bluff.

Sorry for making this long winded.

Chin chin
An old veteran from blighty

Larry

Post by Larry » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:21 am

not at all - thanks Home Guard

Frimmel

Post by Frimmel » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:37 pm

Larry wrote:Home Guard… thanks for you post.
I especially like how, indeed, it could get the United States into the war quicker.
Well I don't know whether it is or isn't a good idea to get the US moving faster but I know that I'm always frustrated that I can't get enough ships or enough units to fill them to get in the fight with the US. By the time I do Japan is having Vodka in Moscow.

Now I bear responsiblity for my execution of the US war effort but it is frustrating even when the Allies are winning (which suggests that the execution by me or my opponent is not entirely the cause of the frustration.)

What ever the cause is it always feels way to slow getting the US in the war.

tekkyy

Post by tekkyy » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:07 pm

Larry wrote:Russia – after all was said and done…. The Soviets were allies.
Yeah the game is 1942.

TMTM

Post by TMTM » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:58 pm

I like how the casualties are done in BoB... something like this for Deluxe.

templeton

Post by templeton » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:51 am

Reduce Down-time...

Perhaps all players do purchase units in order...

Then all units make combat moves in order...

etc etc.

In a five player game, there can be a lot of waiting around sometimes.

Just a thought.

tekkyy

Post by tekkyy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:57 pm

templeton wrote: Perhaps all players do purchase units in order...

Then all units make combat moves in order...

etc etc.
yeah
saves time
we have thread discussing about that
http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/bb/view ... 5cc078afc4

Larry

Post by Larry » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:49 pm

Thanks good stuff
Comments noted