The 49th State

We've talked about Advanced A&A... Now I'd like to hear your comments on what YOU envision a DELUXE A&A GAME to be. What would it look like.
Flashman

The 49th State

Post by Flashman » Thu May 24, 2007 3:34 pm

Playing around with Victory Cities on my new map I'm faced with the problem of finding four VCs for the USA without them all being home based, and trying to reduce the UK VCs to four.

One solution suggested itself:

GIVE AUSTRALIA TO THE USA

In March 1942 Australia placed itself and it's home forces under the Allied South West Pacific Command, led by General MacArthur who promptly moved his HQ here from the Phillipines. Some Australian divisions remained in the middle east under UK direction, but mostly Australia was now independent from Britain but under US command.

In fact, I would consider giving ALL UK Pacific territories to US control.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_West ... _(command)

This gets the US into action earlier, frees the UK from having to consider defending this remote outpost, and makes an early Pacific campaign more likely (or, given the R/J treaty, an early focus for it).

Since Sydney would now be a US VC it gives the American player an incentive to give some resourses to the Pacific. Anzac infantry can be purchased here, and we might even consider placing a limited production IC here (no cap ships or bombers).

My VCs at the moment under this rule (4 each:)

London
Delhi
Cape Town
Baghdad

Washington
Los Angeles
Chungking
Sydney

Moscow
Leningrad
Stalingrad
Chelyabinsk

Berlin
Paris
Vienna
Kiev

Rome
Tripoli
Helsinki
Bucharest

Tokyo
Shanghai
Manilla
Batavia or Saigon?

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Thu May 24, 2007 6:33 pm

Furthermore, if we place some US units in Australia (including fleet) then the SWP suddenly becomes an area nobody can afford to ignore. No more predictable "Pearl Harbor II", and more importantly no more moving all US Pacific pieces into the Atlantic. The Japanese would have to choose between Hawaii and Australia (the US fleet might be based at Darwin in Northern Territory).

The more I think about this, the more I like the idea. Game enhancing, and historically accurate.

Of course this assumes a "Spring 1942" start; if we go back to December '41 then this is ruled out completely.