Flashman's Deluxe Concept Map

We've talked about Advanced A&A... Now I'd like to hear your comments on what YOU envision a DELUXE A&A GAME to be. What would it look like.
Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:41 pm

Just working on June and December 1941 maps, and wondering about what to do with the Dutch colonies; i.e. the East Indies and Suriname. The best I can do with Suriname is that US troops moved in in "late 1941". For the EI and their considerable income, they seem to have come under "joint Allied command", but in this case who controls and defends them? This is before the US takeover of Australian defence.
Since Japan will play first many of the colonies will be invaded before they generate income, but Japan may expand elsewhere so who gets the money? Dutch Government in exile? The bank?

elbowsanchez

Post by elbowsanchez » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:57 am

-The evil Bert & friend

elbowsanchez

Post by elbowsanchez » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:57 am

-The evil Bert & friend

Rising_Sun_Warrior

Post by Rising_Sun_Warrior » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:18 pm

Again, nice maps!

Those cardboard standees are neat looking but i can just imagine them getting bent and they seem like they would loom too large over the little plastic pieces. I like the bust idea, that would look imposing, a group of panzers sitting next to Egypt with Rommel's mug looking square into the Brits faces. Nice.
Flashman wrote:For minor nations, I think keeping them separate involves too much book keeping. I prefer that they're simply absorbed into the contolling power.

This is actually what I was saying. I don't think the minor nations need their own incomes. I agree that whoever controls them, either Germany or Italy, should receive all the IPCs for their territory. I was trying to say that when the controlling nations income hit a certain low point then the minor nation gets to roll to see if remains Axis. Then it would either stay as it is or become absorbed into one of the Allied nations' incomes.

RSW
"In wartime the truth is so precious, she must always be attended by a bodyguard of lies" -Winston Churchill

elbowsanchez

Post by elbowsanchez » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:30 pm

-The evil Bert & friend

elbowsanchez

1940 Complete

Post by elbowsanchez » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:18 am

-The evil Bert & friend

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:08 pm

In case you missed it here's IL's link to a new game:

http://www.thewargame.com/game_page.html

and accompanying map:

http://www.thewargame.com/ReconPhotos/TourMap.html

Early comments:

It suffers from "Pakistan Syndrome", that is when a board is based on a modern map rather than a contemporary one, and a reluctance to merge several small territories into one manageable area (eg. Africa).

I'm still not clear how to deal with the Western Allies liberating Soviet territory - I really don't much like them having to vacate the area next turn. I think I prefer that they simply aren't allowed to attack original Soviet territory period, and might even extend this to say Romania and Finland. Spheres of influence?

Only one General each? I was thinking of 8 or 10 each, with individual abilities.

Don't like different costs for each nation - why should a British infantry cost more than a German?

The naval pass-through idea is interesting; of course a single transport shouldn't be able to block a big invasion fleet.
But, by gum, the rule needs a manual all of its own!

Copyright 1995?
Strange that it seems to include so many ideas which appeared later in AAE & AAP.

Several ideas here that correspond to my own, and are of course therefore brilliant. But modesty prevents me from listing them.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:41 pm

Copyright 1995?
Strange that it seems to include so many ideas which appeared later in AAE & AAP.
Im sorry to add but i have known him and his game before AAE and AAP came out. His ideas are his own. If anything some of revised ideas are similar to his.

Hes like the first guy who advocates D12. Naval pass thru is another neat idea.

I have played his game since like 1998 and it does not suffer from you listed points. The situation is how to keep Russia from falling for the allies and how to keep the Americans off japans back. They can spend like 149 IPCs on a huge navy to fight Japan ( Japan starts with about 83) and has to fight China as well.

In fact China is hard to kill unless you devote alot of resources.

Their is no issue in Africa whatsoever. The battle is very much a back and forth, while units can pass thru the Sahara.. they may also perish trying and the Axis have alot of options.

The only issue is not enough territories in European Russia. The Germans usually take Caucasus and work their way north and east. The Russian campaign lacks from enough retreat points to allow the Soviets some safety to regroup. The Germans are in striking distance of too many points where the Russians always lose at least one spot each turn. The Soviets usually fall in 5-6 turns, but i have Stopped the Germans only a few times.

I have about played this game about 60 times over the years and its great.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.