Mine all Mine!

We've talked about Advanced A&A... Now I'd like to hear your comments on what YOU envision a DELUXE A&A GAME to be. What would it look like.
Flashman

Mine all Mine!

Post by Flashman » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:10 pm

Has anyone played with mine units?

The basic principles (based largely on Table Tactics rules):

Mines cost 1 IPC
Build at any IC
They may be carried by any unit other than fighters - no limit?
They are placed during ncm phase
A ground unit may place mines inside any border it controls. This includes a coastal border to defend against amphibious assaults.
When an enemy attacks over a mined border it triggers the mine which on a roll of 1-2/6 destroys one attacking unit. If there are more units than mines ignore the surplus, i.e each unit would only cross the minefield once. Surplus mines remain intact. Aircraft ignore mines.
If a power captures a territory still containing activated mines it may choose to destroy them at no penalty at the beginning of it's next turn.
If a territory is captured which contains unactivated (i.e. unplaced mines) the units are captured and may be used by the new owner (i.e. mines are non-nation specific).
The alliance which controls the mined area may pass unhindered over that border from the inside, but passing the other way must roll for damage (hence the option to destroy captured minefields). Passing over minefields belonging to your own alliance sustains hits on only 1/6.
Ships may place mines inside a sea border, and bombers may drop mines inside a sea border (but not one occupied by enemy ships).
Destroyers are needed to "sweep" an occupied sea zone of mines.
They may also, during ncm only, attempt to sweep an adjacent sea zone border before other naval units cross it. They first cross that border and if they survive any mines triggered they may clear all remaining mines safely. In the initial sweep destroyers are destroyed only on a mine roll of 1/6.

Additional: if using "ships in port" rules mines may be used to blockade, i.e. a ship may place mines inside the seazone/land border.

TT rules:
http://www.tabletactics.com/aarules2.html

Another suggestion:

AA/AT guns
Allow AA units defending against invasion to be designated as either Anti-Aircraft or Anti-Tank guns, but never both in the same battle. An AT gun still hits on 1, but hits must be applied to enemy tank units only. An AT gun fires in every combat round instead of in opening fire, so tank casualties do get their returning shot.

master_cyan

Post by master_cyan » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:59 pm

wroung sacale
"I would not fear a pack of lions led by a sheep, but I would always fear a flock of sheep led by a lion"-alexander the great

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:02 pm

Thankyou for your eloquent and constructive reply.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:29 pm

good ideas... keep them coming... eventually something will stick.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:49 am

I prefere the Blockhouse unit from D-day. It can represent dug-in infantry behind mine-fields, supported by heavy guns. Defend on 4 or less and take 2 hits.

A mine unit like the one from TT is useless, because a mine-field dont work alone. It need to work in conjunction with infantry. An unsupported minefield will easily be cleared