Battle Box Alternative

As is the case with all long marches, they must begin with a single first step. Guadalcanal was that first step. The long march was to Tokyo and it's about to begin again. At dawn the Marines will hit the beach and secure the airfield there. If all goes well it will be renamed Henderson field. If the Americans continue to have their way eventually all tthe islands known as the Solomon Islands will be theirs. Command either the Japanese or American land, sea and ground forces and rewrite the history of this critical struggle.
Krieghund

Battle Box Alternative

Post by Krieghund » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:31 pm

If your battle box starts to wear out, or if you just want to keep the noise down so you don't wake the wife and kids during marathon gaming sessions, I have a solution!

I've created a "battle strip" by scanning the battle box results chart from the Operations Manual and color-coding the columns to keep them in order:
This requires purchasing a set of 12 different colored dice (I got mine from Chessex). I chose a "spectrum" color scheme to make the order of the dice easy to remember. I have one each of red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple dice. Since that's only six, I have one set of these colors in opaque and one set in translucent to make twelve. If you don't want to pass the dice back and forth, you just need two battle strips and two sets of dice.

Now I just line the dice up by color, grab the correct number, and roll them. It's just a simple matter to match them to the color chart to get the combat results. It's a little more work than using the battle box, but it's a lot quieter!

You can download the battle strip here.
Last edited by Krieghund on Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

elbowsanchez

Coolio

Post by elbowsanchez » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:52 pm

now that is a pretty slick idea! 8)

I downloaded the picture link from AH and will post it later this evening as to assist in simplifying the copy.

ES
-The evil Bert & friend

Dagon81

Post by Dagon81 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:46 pm

Or, if you dont have coloured dice, just use the same from the game but roll them and then watch for the sequence from left to right or right to left and match them with the battle box. Sometimes it will be difficult to distinguish which is first but they always have an order.

elbowsanchez

Hit Chart

Post by elbowsanchez » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:45 pm

-The evil Bert & friend

dinosaur

Post by dinosaur » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:54 am

This is a very good idea. We just got our AAG for Christmas and one of my first thoughts was how long the cardboard box would last. I am thinking of doing something with an old wooden cigar box. I would stick the battlebox list on the inside after lining the box with felt. Close the box, jiggle it around, incline it and open to see the results. Heck, it might just work. I can get old cigar boxes for a dollar a piece at a surplus store.

Merry Christmas and Happy '08!

bkindt

Fantastic

Post by bkindt » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:32 pm

Fantastic!

Can you post the graphic file with the rainbow colored chart? Many thanks.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:01 pm

You can download it here.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

GSmorey

Dice for Guadalcanal

Post by GSmorey » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:43 pm

Krieg...

An awesome idea and I love the colors. I being the dice man I am as well, love it.

Unfourtunetly, for FTF tournament play at this time, the rules state that you must use the dice the game come with and the Battle Box. Until we get enough players using a system similiar to yours, we are going to have to stick to what comes with the game.

But again, I love it. Might even help speed up the game a bit after one gets used to the roles/colors.

In Revised, my partner Jeff and I always did the same thing. Grey dice were ones, White dice, 2''s; green -3's, and blue 4's and put the legend on the edge of the board before play so there would be no confusion...

Peace,
GS :shock: