Question: Battleships/cruisers attack multiple targets?

As is the case with all long marches, they must begin with a single first step. Guadalcanal was that first step. The long march was to Tokyo and it's about to begin again. At dawn the Marines will hit the beach and secure the airfield there. If all goes well it will be renamed Henderson field. If the Americans continue to have their way eventually all tthe islands known as the Solomon Islands will be theirs. Command either the Japanese or American land, sea and ground forces and rewrite the history of this critical struggle.
Vader218

Question: Battleships/cruisers attack multiple targets?

Post by Vader218 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:23 pm

It seems that battleships & cruisers can attack sea, air and land units in the same combat turn.
In one combat turn a battleship/cruiser can battle sea and air units in open waters AND move back to shallow waters to shell land units/airfields.
The sea zones on the map look like pretty wide stretches of water, so sea units should be declared (either) out in open waters or close to shore imo.
Or, did I miss a point? :?

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:08 pm

Nope, you didn't miss anything. Each unit may attack once per turn for each attack value that it has, provided there is a valid target. This means that battleships and cruisers may attack up to three times per turn - once against air units, once against sea units, and once against land units.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Vader218

Post by Vader218 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:56 pm

Thanks for confirming that, Krieghund.
Seems like battleships & cruisers are fitted with crude cruise missiles to be able to fight at long ranges ... :o

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:30 am

I don't really think it's that much of a stretch to say that ships can move around within a sea zone during the combat phases. The main guns on cruisers and battleships also had quite long ranges. For example, the Japanese Takao class cruisers' guns maximum range was about 18 miles, if I remember correctly. Of course, maximum effective range is another matter. But even at half that range, you wouldn't need to be in too shallow water to effectively bombard if you had spotters closer in.

Vader218

Post by Vader218 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:17 pm

Hmm, okay ... that's a valid explanation :)
Though I still find it odd that battleships & cruisers can fire at some many targets in one combat round ... ah, well ...

Builder_Chris

Post by Builder_Chris » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:46 pm

I just played my first game of Guadalcanal last night :oops: (after having read the rules several times before finding someone that had the time to game it with me) so I finally feel I have some experience :roll: (although very limited) with this game, but it seems to me that the explanation for why units like battleships can attack “three times in one turn” has very little to do with the “historical capabilities of the units” or the “map proportions” and more to do with the games “time frame”.

Once again, A&A has NOT gone into as much “exacting” detail as I get the impression that most players that take the time to chat in these forums must be looking for or “expecting” because it seems to me, once again from looking at the “artistic map” and the “general units descriptions” and the “number of rounds” an “average game” is supposed to last, that details such as armament, range, a ships displacement, nautical miles and ships rate of travel and aeronautical miles and aircrafts rate of travel etc, etc, etc…etc….etc…and oh did I mention :wink: …etc… have not been “detailed”.

For example, if you take into account that the battle for Guadalcanal lasted about six months (approximately…right?), and an average game is supposed to last about 4 to 7 rounds (approximately…right?) that means each round would be several weeks to a month or just over a month. Plenty of time to “attack” air, sea and land…no matter the “historical capabilities” of all the ships and aircraft and artillery and anti aircraft and infantryman’s weapons and etc…etc…etc…..and oh did I mention :wink: …etc…that were “really used”. :shock:

So far, I think the game is another good game. Is it as good as AAR? I don’t know…yet…but (IMO) it’s worth the cash and the time to play it, and it’s got great potential.

Maybe when I‘ve played more of it I might think its “off” (Historically speaking) enough to support some of the “complaints” :x about it I’ve read so far about it in some of these forums but right now, with one game under my belt and one book about Guadalcanal under my belt…I think it’s a good game.
8)
Construimus, Batuimus -- "We Build, We Fight.".....we party all night!

Larry

Post by Larry » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:07 pm

Wow! One of the bes reviews I've read in long time... Etc. etc.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:57 pm

Glad you're enjoying the game, Chris! If you haven't done so already, check out the FAQ here for an important rules erratum and rules clarifications.