Three Questions about Guadalcanal

As is the case with all long marches, they must begin with a single first step. Guadalcanal was that first step. The long march was to Tokyo and it's about to begin again. At dawn the Marines will hit the beach and secure the airfield there. If all goes well it will be renamed Henderson field. If the Americans continue to have their way eventually all tthe islands known as the Solomon Islands will be theirs. Command either the Japanese or American land, sea and ground forces and rewrite the history of this critical struggle.
Post Reply
The General
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:35 pm

Three Questions about Guadalcanal

Post by The General » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:56 am

Okay, Love the game and love the look of the game. I have three questions that have bothered us as we have played:

1. At initial setup, does it matter where the 1st airfield marker goes on the islands of Guadalcanal and Bougainville? Since these two islands have two potential locations, we wondered if it mattered if the marker was closer to the home base card, or not.


2. A damaged ship moves back to the damaged area on the home base card during casualty removal, from any sea zone? So a US battleship that is damaged in sea zone A or B (a movement of 4 spaces) is still moved all that way?


3. Finally, the rule book says that we can build an airfield on "an island zone that has an empty airfield slot," and you don't have to control the island to do so, but can you build on any old island, even if you don't have troops there? IOW, as the US player, I could build an airfield on Bougainville even though I have no ships/troops there at all? That doesn't seem to make sense.

Thanks everyone.

User avatar
Krieghund
Posts: 2668
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:18 am
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: Three Questions about Guadalcanal

Post by Krieghund » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:09 pm

The General wrote:1. At initial setup, does it matter where the 1st airfield marker goes on the islands of Guadalcanal and Bougainville? Since these two islands have two potential locations, we wondered if it mattered if the marker was closer to the home base card, or not.
Nope, it doesn't matter. There's no difference between two airfield slots on the same island.
The General wrote:2. A damaged ship moves back to the damaged area on the home base card during casualty removal, from any sea zone? So a US battleship that is damaged in sea zone A or B (a movement of 4 spaces) is still moved all that way?
Yes.
The General wrote:3. Finally, the rule book says that we can build an airfield on "an island zone that has an empty airfield slot," and you don't have to control the island to do so, but can you build on any old island, even if you don't have troops there? IOW, as the US player, I could build an airfield on Bougainville even though I have no ships/troops there at all? That doesn't seem to make sense.
You can't build an airfield on an island that you don't control unless you have at least one land unit there. This is because you have to have three supplies on an island in order to build an airfield there. Since control of islands is checked before airfields are built, if you have supplies on an island without troops, and your opponent controls the island, the supplies will fall under his/her control before you can build the airfield.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

User avatar
Larry
Posts: 3090
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:44 am

Post by Larry » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:32 pm

Thanks Krieg...

The General
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:35 pm

Post by The General » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:24 pm

All cleared up. Thanks!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests