Airfield control; all attackers killed?

As is the case with all long marches, they must begin with a single first step. Guadalcanal was that first step. The long march was to Tokyo and it's about to begin again. At dawn the Marines will hit the beach and secure the airfield there. If all goes well it will be renamed Henderson field. If the Americans continue to have their way eventually all tthe islands known as the Solomon Islands will be theirs. Command either the Japanese or American land, sea and ground forces and rewrite the history of this critical struggle.
kschmize

Airfield control; all attackers killed?

Post by kschmize » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:09 am

We had a strange battle result which was not covered in the rulebook. I attacked an enemy controlled island containing airfields with combined air/land/sea force, and it was defended the same way. After all battles were resolved, we each lost all of our land forces, though air/sea elements remained. Therefore, each of us had 0 land attack value, so it was a tie and control of the island remained with the person who previously held it; in this case the defender. However, the rule book states the following regarding control of the airfields:

"If there are no enemy land units remaining in an island zone during this step, capture all enemy airfields and supply tokens in that zone."

According to that rule, the attacker (me) would capture the airfields, even though all of my land forces were wiped out. In other words, when all attacking and defending land units die in the battle, the rules would let the defender keep control, yet lose any airfields present to the attacker!

Does this make any sense? Am I missing something? We thought that this situation didn't make sense, so we agreed that the airfields also remained under the defender's control by using the same logic that allowed him to retain control of the island.

What is the official rule here? Comments anyone?

Krieghund

Re: Airfield control; all attackers killed?

Post by Krieghund » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:59 pm

Welcome, kschmize!

In the case of both sides being wiped out, the side that controls the island would also control the airfields and supplies.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Scarapis

Post by Scarapis » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:09 am

seeing as you also had no land units you are unable to take control of the airfields since you have no land units to do so.

Most Holy

Post by Most Holy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:15 pm

If air and sea units were still present would they not exert land power on the island? I just played my first game of this the other day so I'm not sure. But if all ground units are killed but the attacker has a battleship adjacent, would it not take control?
My A&A blog: Home of the Dicetruction Podcast and other A&A related nonsense
http://www.dicetruction.blogspot.com

Scarapis

Post by Scarapis » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:59 pm

Most Holy wrote:If air and sea units were still present would they not exert land power on the island? I just played my first game of this the other day so I'm not sure. But if all ground units are killed but the attacker has a battleship adjacent, would it not take control?

Ships do not take land, nor do planes take it, only land units can take and hold land.

Most Holy

Post by Most Holy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:06 pm

Thanks good to know.
My A&A blog: Home of the Dicetruction Podcast and other A&A related nonsense
http://www.dicetruction.blogspot.com