Option Play for D-Day

Axis & Allies D-Day begins as Operation Overlord, the invasion of German-held Normandy, is underway -- 130,000 soldiers of the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States are poised to assault Fortress Europe. You and your fellow world powers control their fates.
conao

Post by conao » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:43 pm

Ok Larry, following your tip... I just bought A&A D-Day. It really seems to be much simpler and faster then A&A Revised. I agree that this will probably make it easier to bring players in!

Before we start playing, I would like to use your suggested optional rules #2 and #3. They seem fair and easy! I'm planning to not use #1 (artillery) for the moment to keep it simple, to reduce the slaughter and to wait for your final conclusion on how it should be used (I can see that there's a lot of experiments going on... thanks elbowmaster).

My question is... is it okay to use only two of them or are they really supposed to be used all together (for some kind of game balancing)?

I definetely like the no limit for game turns... the Axis player can be proud enough if he delays the Allies win to turn 20... :lol: And this could be another reason to reduce the killing (no artillery from adjacent zones), since we cannot purchase extra reinforcements.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:05 pm

aloha conao!!

fellow swede!! i was born in stockholm (solna), but raised in the usa, and last name is westlund!!

so how could i not stop and say hello!!

i went back to scandinavia with my grandfather and it is simply a wonderful area of the world...cant wait to go again sometime...

we think you will find with d-day, numerous ways to mix the cocktail...we generally game by putting all the options in a hat

order cards are always in the mix...

then we add the fortune, tactics as well as each of larrys new ideas #1, #2, #3, unlimited turns, on a piece of paper and pick 2-3 more...

thats just it, simple enough system to do just that...it was fun with all the options as well...

our favorite option is the artillery rule, a roll of 1 attacker picks, a roll of 2 defender picks...with this version it is a game of initiative, instead of act / react...and when you actually see it (the initiative) switch back and forth it gives us an excellent realism feel to the game...

-sanchez

Larry

Post by Larry » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:03 pm

A “Sanchez” from Stockholm?

conao

Post by conao » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:18 pm

It really sounds weird Larry! I would expect a Larsson! :-)

Thanks for your comments Elbowmaster (or should I say Sanchez?)... I'll start with a "light" mix and will spice it once we get more used to the mechanics.

By the way, I do agree with you about Scandinavia, but I have to make it clear that I am Brazilian. My company sent me to run a project here for 15 months... it is almost time to go back! :-(

Larry

Post by Larry » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:10 pm

Conao
Are you saying you are presently living and working in Sweden and in fact you are from Brazil? In the mean time we are talking about Axis & Allies?

conao

Post by conao » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:02 pm

... and I just heard that I might be on my way to Russia or China. And let me add to your comment: in the meantime, I am talking about Axis & Allies with the very Designer of the game!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

This became a small world, don't you agree? By the way, I am very happy that I am in Sweden, otherwise I would probably not be able to buy this great game... I never saw it in Brazil. Why don't you guys try to distribute it in Brazil? We are "just" 170 million people there... it might find some fans! :wink:

Together with Monopoly, the most classical board game in Brazil is a war game named WAR (I found something similar in Sweden named RISK). It is incredibly simple to play and depends too much on your luck in the dice, so Axies & Allies series would be a natural evolution to that. In fact, all my colleagues from Brazil also working here and WAR addicts liked A&A. It is already field tested... :lol:

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:03 pm

conao wrote:It really sounds weird Larry! I would expect a Larsson! :-)

Thanks for your comments Elbowmaster (or should I say Sanchez?)... I'll start with a "light" mix and will spice it once we get more used to the mechanics.

By the way, I do agree with you about Scandinavia, but I have to make it clear that I am Brazilian. My company sent me to run a project here for 15 months... it is almost time to go back! :-(
then you must be loving all the blonde women there!!! i know when i went back, being brown hair, i felt like how a blonde would feel here in the USA...

MUAHAHAHA!! sanchez is a nickname...being online with names like elbowmaster and sanchez have formed many chuckles im sure...

elbowmaster is a nickname as well...i game at the ms gaming zone for on line axis and allies play, been doing so for years, cant recall how many, but pretty much since the aa cdrom game came out...i was hooked on the board version for years and this online gaming really is a good time!!

so after a few years of gaming online, and people seeing me there, i would get jokesters signing is as

ELBOWMONSTER
OHMYELBOW
ELBOWRONI
ELBOW (everything)

pretty funny until i saw an ELBOWSANCHEZ...i laughed so hard that it stuck, so everyone started calling me sanchez, instead of elbow (people who know me call me sanchez, others call me elbow, or elbowmaster)

it ended up being from a very dear friend who i havent seen in years, goes by TOV, so if you read this TOV, drop me a line...folks at the zone are always asking about you...

-sanchez

Kodiak Bear

Option 3 doesn't work

Post by Kodiak Bear » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:41 pm

Hi, we tried playing with "Optional Play # 3 Attack or not Attack"

After one round of using this option, we realized that Germany should never attack with this optional rule. Germany can win the game easily by just moving units in and resupplying them in a territory.

Bottom line is that the Allies would run out of time every game.

Any thoughts on this?

Is there away around this dillemma with Optional rule #3?