Blockhause stronger in attack than defense?

Axis & Allies D-Day begins as Operation Overlord, the invasion of German-held Normandy, is underway -- 130,000 soldiers of the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States are poised to assault Fortress Europe. You and your fellow world powers control their fates.
midgard30

Blockhause stronger in attack than defense?

Post by midgard30 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:58 pm

Hello,

I've just played few games of d-day lately, and I was wondering why the Blockhaus as a better attack than defense. Shouldn't it be the opposite? It's a bit strange to have this weak defense, when in reality it is its main purpose.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:31 pm

Welcome, Midgard30!

While blockhouses were basically defensive weapons, their strength was in firing on ships at sea and troops landing on the beaches. When you think about it, this is really an offensive action. As far as their actual defense against direct attack, they were well-suited to withstanding bombardment from a distance, but actually vulnerable if the enemy troops got close enough to attack them on the ground.

This is reflected in the fact that when blockhouses are firing, they have a strong attack value, but when they are being attacked up-close their defense value is not as good. At least, that's the way I see it.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Larry

Post by Larry » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:18 am

Thats is exactly my thinking as well and that's why I designed them that way.

midgard30

Post by midgard30 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:12 pm

Thanks for your answers and welcoming!

First of all, I want to say that I'm not a hardcore player as many of you here, but I play AA games since a long time, although only few games a year as for now. AA is still today my favourite game.

Since it was my first message, I don’t want to let the impression that I’m complaining about the rules. I just have some interrogations about how they are build.

I totally agree with you that blockhaus are very powerful at long range, but it is still a defensive action. On land combat, blockhaus defend at 1, but weren’t they difficult targets to take or destroy? And when the german land units attack against allies, were the blockhouse really effective?

Since blockhaus have a specific order to shoot at landing troops (and I see this as a defensive action against an amphibious attack), for land battle shouldn’t they have a defence of 3 and an attack value of 1?

Again, don’t miss understand me, I’m not asking about rewriting the rules, but just to fulfill my curiosity.

Thanks M. Harris for creating such great games. I’m not decided yet which will be my next one: BoB or AAG. Hummm, I’m really tempted to wait for Stalingrad, THAT would be my game! Hope, there’ll be snipers!

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:38 am

Blockhouses were heavily armed, but they also had the weakness of "blind spots" up close where the occupants couldn't see, and therefore couldn't fire. This required the use of defending ground troops surrounding them to keep any invaders from getting close enough to exploit this weakness to blow the blockhouse up or toss a few grenades or a satchel charge through a window and make life very uncomfortable for the inhabitants.

In the game, this is neatly simulated by the fact that the Allies attack first in ground combat. Thus, if a blockhouse is unaccompanyed by sufficient ground units, it will be destroyed by the first Allied attack, and only get to fire with its weak defensive value of 1. However, if there are enough Axis troops to "soak up" the Allied attack, the Axis will get to attack on their turn, unleashing the devastating heavy fire of the blockhouse.

The effect of this is that the Allied troops must suffer the withering fire of the blockhouse as they approach the beach, and then again in close combat as long as the blochouse is supported by Axis ground troops. However, the blockhouse becomes vulnerable to attack as soon as that ground support is removed.

Does this make sense?
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

midgard30

Post by midgard30 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:19 pm

Yes, thanks!

Really interesting information.