Naval gunfire

Axis & Allies D-Day begins as Operation Overlord, the invasion of German-held Normandy, is underway -- 130,000 soldiers of the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States are poised to assault Fortress Europe. You and your fellow world powers control their fates.
captainzlog

Naval gunfire

Post by captainzlog » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:07 am

The D-Day game is one of my favorites
and one rule I like is that the attacker can call off the attack rather than have to launch a suicidal assault with forces outnumbered 5 to 1 or more.

The other rule change I like is allowing naval gunfire to target units other than blockhouses. This is restricted to coastal zones only and the first time we used it, resulted in smashing my counter-attack that was set to crush the Utah beach head :(
Historically, naval gunfire was pretty devastating, but perhaps it's a good idea to restrict this further so that all blockhouses, or all in any given sector, must be destroyed before other targets can be engaged by the navy. In June of 1944 HMS Rodney was able to fire 16 inch shells as far as Caen, but allowing this would give the allies to much of an advantage. What does anyone else think?

Builder_Chris

Post by Builder_Chris » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:07 pm

Interesting; I have not played with the optional rule for bombardment (yet) but plan to do so soon because like you I like the thought of being able to bombard anything that I want to set my gun sites on. :twisted: But the fact that the Axis have no way to counter this is kind of a bummer.

Granted, IF historically the Allies bombarded as far in as Caen ( and if teh Axis had no way at that time to get rid of those battle ships) than why not have that a possibility for the Allies to do the same thing in the game. After all this is a historical game…right? But most good games have balancing factors to advantages/disadvantages...as does life.

The ability of the Allies to hit any area with bombardment does seem like a very strong advantage; even if the optional rule right now only says a coastal area.

I don’t know how accurate the bombardment was in WW2, but maybe if a bombardment miss in one area meant a possible hit in another area (even if it is full of allied troops) that might offset the “advantage” what is a gaming mechanic that boils down to an Allied “untouchable bombardment”.

I know I am going to think this over more and in the mean time I plan on trying the optional rules that Larry posted in another thread. When I’ve had a chance to game these options, I’ll chime back in about this one.

Till than…interesting…very, very interesting.
Construimus, Batuimus -- "We Build, We Fight.".....we party all night!

captainzlog

Naval gunfire inland

Post by captainzlog » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:55 am

Historically, the battleships were able to targets up to 20 miles inland, and Caen was in range of even their secondary (6") armament.... however, I don't think they are represented in the game.

I may be wrong but I believe the naval gunfire card represents the allied destroyers whose brave captains brought them close inshore (particularly on Omaha) and were able to 'pick off' bunkers and strongpoints with direct fire from their 5" guns

We could include the battleships by treating them as another bombing raid, but the Germans would also have to get a shot from 6" guns of battery Blucher on the island of Alderney which gave the allies big trouble right up until August, so perhaps the two just cancel each other out. Personally, I think I'll just keep things simple.

Let me know how you get on! :)

pellulo

The problem with the battleships and large coastal guns...

Post by pellulo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:00 am

...is that simple it needs a official/unofficial minor varient game, of the D-Day game, perhaps a series of minor games?

About a third or four-tenths the board could be the English Channel, perhaps larger (twice the normal size of BBs, cruisers, destroyers) vrs. the coastal guns and bunkers of D-Day beaches. Do not forget the German E-boats and some subs.

For land battles paratroopers and yes glider troops vrs. the troops defending the outerworks of the bunkers and guns. After a set number of rounds, regular troops and armor and guns, start coming from the beaches (perhaps a new type of Infantry, the snapper to get thru obstacles).

As for air, along certain bombing routes facing AA guns, and, symbolic Stuka resistance. Be creative with the fighters straffing German reinforcements.

You decide the basic game is not really set up for much sea battles, a varient might be the best answer, thanks, Pellulo
Pellulo

pellulo

In the prevoius box...

Post by pellulo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:57 pm

... I mention the ships would be bigger than the regular game ships, perhaps some sort of tie in to the sea minis (but only ships pertaining to D-Day and not any ships that is already out, in the market), thanks, Pellulo
Pellulo

pellulo

Axis fleet would be...

Post by pellulo » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:24 pm

...German ships (let's face it, the puppet government of N. Italy, much less Hungary woulden't be able to send any ships to help out).

Basically except for E-boats and new type of coastal submarines, the Axis ships would go onto a one way ticket to oblivion against the Allied Armada.
Still they can be creative in their attacks (house rules to throw in some air support, some DDs and a certain ship hiding out in Norway, could make some intersting sea battles).

Thanks, Pellulo
Pellulo

pellulo

Ships I like to see the Allied Armarda have...

Post by pellulo » Fri May 01, 2009 8:28 pm

...more Liberty ships, if sunk they would lose their precious cargo (you will need those troops/armor in the latter rounds, to help take out those bunkers/coastal guns. The airborn/glider gtroops are not enough). Also borrowing from the Pacific TO, amphibious tractors "Buffalos" with heavy mg./short barrel 75mm cannon. Along with more specializes landing craft armed with multiple cannons, thanks, Pellulo
Pellulo

pellulo

For better view of potential ships...

Post by pellulo » Sat May 16, 2009 10:40 pm

...go to http://www.coatneyhistory.com/drawings.htm For view of WWII Official (use to be Top Secret USN), Naval Warships.

For example Nazi Aircraft Carrier Graf Zepplin(imagine if this puppy had shown up for D-Day). Thanks, Pellulo
Last edited by pellulo on Tue May 19, 2009 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pellulo