Modified miniatures

Axis & Allies D-Day begins as Operation Overlord, the invasion of German-held Normandy, is underway -- 130,000 soldiers of the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States are poised to assault Fortress Europe. You and your fellow world powers control their fates.
captainzlog

Modified miniatures

Post by captainzlog » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:25 am

I've given the miniatures in my game a 'makeover', paint jobs for the Germans and US mainly, but the UK and Canadian infantry were a little more involved, using glue to extend the tropical shorts (!) into battledress and the shirts of the airborne guys into paratrooper smocks.

The German tanks and guns got a camo job (sprayed sand color with green and brown blotches) while the British and Canadian stuff got a dark bronze green and the US a lighter Olive drab; I found some 1/285 scale decals on ebay so they all sport tiny white stars...... the aircraft likewise were painted in national colors.

My latest project was to make the UK artillery pieces look more like British 25 pounder guns! This was done by trimming the spade detail and bending the trail legs together; a small sliver of balsa wood was added underneath to represent the box spade and a towing eye added from a length of broken jewelry chain. The whole thing is then glued to a brass trim washer which represents the quick-traverse turntable that was a characteristic of this gun. Meanwhile the US 105's had a small bit of wire glued to the top of the barrel to make the distinctive upper recoill cylinder.

Sounds a lot more complicated than it was to do, although I haven't the nerve to try and make gun shields for all those 88's yet! :roll:

I've also acquired a few extra figures so that if the fortune cards give the allies additional reinforcements, you don't lose them off your regular schedule which would otherwise seem to cancel out the advantage.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:37 pm

Sounds like you've done some nice customizing!
captainzlog wrote:I've also acquired a few extra figures so that if the fortune cards give the allies additional reinforcements, you don't lose them off your regular schedule which would otherwise seem to cancel out the advantage.
Pardon me, but how is getting your reserve troops into battle faster not an advantage?
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

captainzlog

Reserves

Post by captainzlog » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:17 pm

Getting them in fast is an advantage, but it comes at a price if you lose reinforcements off your regular schedule. It also forces you to use them in the airborne boxes instead of a choice of landing beaches later on.

I believe the extra paratroopers should be a bonus, not a conditional loan! But hey, that's just the way we play it here...... :wink:

Thanks for your comment! :D