Balancing Factor - Unlimited Fighters?

Axis & Allies D-Day begins as Operation Overlord, the invasion of German-held Normandy, is underway -- 130,000 soldiers of the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States are poised to assault Fortress Europe. You and your fellow world powers control their fates.
getstrafed

Balancing Factor - Unlimited Fighters?

Post by getstrafed » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:43 pm

I played this game out a few times this weekend and have come to the same conclusions of everyone else that this game is heavily slanted toward Germany. One thing that I thought would help the Allies' chances (and make the game more historically accurate) is to give the Allies unlimited Fighters (and maybe Bombers). It is ridiculous to be out of air support by turn 5 if the die rolls are against you. There should be SOME sort of inconvenience when they do get shot down, like maybe losing them the next turn while the brass sort out the logistics of deploying replacements, but we had so many aircraft out there that the Allies should never run out.

Another alternative would be to replace the "Luftwaffe attacks" result with something else. The Luftwaffe was absent in this campaign and should NOT be allowed to wipe out the Allied planes. If I seem bitter, it is because I got my ass handed to me in the last game due to losing all of my aircraft! Aaargh!

What do you guys think?

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:17 pm

I'll tell you what I think - I think you're absolutely RIGHT. Right on both counts. I can't get into how the final rules read the way they do but believe me when I say .... I never thought The Allies would ever run out of fighters and bombers over Normandy - Never.

Let me add - Just because you've got endless aircraft doesn't mean that the game gets that much more easier for the Allies.. I think the turn count should be 12 not 10.

But in your case .... all this probably wont help either. Try eliminating all German reinforcements from turn 3 on. If that does not help, try turn 2 and so.... :lol: One of these days you're sure to win...

TMTM

Post by TMTM » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:19 pm

I think the Allies can win.. but have a less then 50% chance but that's what I like... it's a challenge... everytime I lose I'm so close to winning... i want to set it up again and try again.. but sure change some rules to give ya a better chance but I like it just the way is..

Another thing that might make it fun is... never running out of reinforcements... if your card is empty you could just start over again from the top.

another Idea is play it the normal way and keep track of the turns but don't stop at 10... if you get it in 11 or 12 turns... then the person your playing against has to take the other side and do better then you...

CanucKev

Post by CanucKev » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:29 pm

(Shameless patriotic plug)

Add Canadian troops :) I took British pieces from A&A:P and used them as Canucks. The usual 5 units start on Juno beach, and there is a reinforcement chart with 15 units on it. The British beaches and reinforcement chart remain the same. Only roll 1 die for the Canadian reinforcements. Canadians can only go on at Juno; Brits, at either Sword or Gold. And if you like, replace one British fighter with a Canadian one!

:D Who knows how much an extra 15 units would help, though ...

thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:06 pm

The allies aircraft can be a pain in the ass, i generaly group my german reinforcements with aa/artillery, to take the edge off.

I disagree with "adding" more allied aircraft, i think the game is okay as is.

I too play with "Canucks", i remember an early photo of the map that showed a Canadian landing zone, i was disappointed when the final map had been changed to all American and British.

Thoes426 :twisted:
Strength lies not in defense but in attack.
Adolf Hitler

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:12 pm

i agree with theos, it is hard to win as allies...but thats ok, gives real excitement and thrill of desparation...

i like the end the game at turn 12, that will indeed favor allies...as axis reinforcements "dry" up...

id also suggest trying larrys alternative rules...much much better, though you have to game it a few times to really appreciate it...

now, if i could only find a normandy topo map thats large enough ;)

i too add the different colored uk units for the canuks...they deserve it...

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:13 am

Thoes - Not talking about adding MORE allied aircraft – simply not eliminating (removing) them from the game should they become casualties.. If hit, they simply make no kills that turn but return – symbolizing a new air group.

Elbow – let me know if you find such a map. I don’t know if you know it or not but I’ve spent a lot of time in Normandy. I used to ride horses there. I’ve visited all the battle sites. Of course visited the cemetery – absolutely beautiful. I once rented a small plane in England and flew across the Channel, taking the same route as the invasion fleet. Later I flew up and down the invasion beaches. I was at 5000 ft and could take in the entire battlefield, from Utah to Sword and as far inland as St. Mere Eglise. It was interesting to get the scale of the invasion. It was surprisingly smaller than one might think –from a plane at least. Great Memory.

d6veteran

Post by d6veteran » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:46 pm

Larry wrote:
Elbow – let me know if you find such a map. I don’t know if you know it or not but I’ve spent a lot of time in Normandy. I used to ride horses there. I’ve visited all the battle sites. Of course visited the cemetery – absolutely beautiful. I once rented a small plane in England and flew across the Channel, taking the same route as the invasion fleet. Later I flew up and down the invasion beaches. I was at 5000 ft and could take in the entire battlefield, from Utah to Sword and as far inland as St. Mere Eglise. It was interesting to get the scale of the invasion. It was surprisingly smaller than one might think –from a plane at least. Great Memory.
Great story. Need to put that on my list of things to do ;)