Balancing Factor - Unlimited Fighters?

Axis & Allies D-Day begins as Operation Overlord, the invasion of German-held Normandy, is underway -- 130,000 soldiers of the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States are poised to assault Fortress Europe. You and your fellow world powers control their fates.
CanucKev

Post by CanucKev » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:57 am

I too haven't actually noticed a huge advantage one way or the other, but it's been a while since I've played.

Anyway, I like the fighters-never-permanently-die idea. But I wonder how it could be applied to bombers ... since they drop their bombs before the AA guns fire. I suppose you could just swap the order ...

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:41 am

Comments noted

CanucKev

Post by CanucKev » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:24 am

Some more thought to my "Canadians" rule. (This is partly a chance for me to write it down before I forget.)

One of the things I didn't like about adding Canadians was: you'd roll one die for Canadian reinforcements, but still two dice for English reinforcements. So the UK empire would be getting an average of 10-11 units per turn, not 7.

The solution I just came up with is: roll the two dice for the UK empire; that number is the total UK reinforcements (brits + canucks). Then roll the die for the Canadians. That simply determines how many of the UK reinforcements are Canadian, and how many are British.

eg: Roll two dice for the UK; the total is 9. That means the combined British and Canadian reinforcements will be 9. Roll a die for the Canadians, say it's a 2. So of those 9 reinforcements, 2 are Canadians and 7 are British.

As for the bombers, if you're some sort of OCD and don't want to swap the cards (I swear I'm not talking about myself), I guess you could just say that if they got shot down after dropping their bombs, they'd skip the next turn.

btw, how long was this section of the forum dormant for before I returned? I feel like I'm talking about something I'm not supposed to :?

ChristophfromGermany

Canadians

Post by ChristophfromGermany » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:58 am

Well, CanucKev, what do you do when you roll snake eyes and your single canadian dice comes up with three or more. Just from experience I would guess you would get more Canadians than Brits.
Much simpler would be this solution: You still roll two dice for UK and the bigger number are British reinforcements and the smaller number are Canadians. That´s easier and more realistic.
ChristophfromGermany

No decent man can prefer war to peace, because at peace-time the sons burry their father while at war, the father burries his sons. (Herodot)

captainzlog

aircraft losses

Post by captainzlog » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:45 am

I don't see a problem here. We play with all the cards, and if an airplane is lost it is usually possible to get it back withinin a phase or two by rolling high when the right card is drawn.

The time spent out of action does not mean we've run out of aircraft necessarily, it could just be that coud or bad weather prevent operations over the battlefield for that time.. And in reality, the weather was a major factor in hampering allied air operations in Normandy

I don't agree with getting rid of the 'Luftwaffe attack' possibilty, as historically, although the German air effort was pretty much shut down, they were able to make a few hit & run sorties, even though those raids turned out to be fairly ineffective.