Balance this.

Axis & Allies D-Day begins as Operation Overlord, the invasion of German-held Normandy, is underway -- 130,000 soldiers of the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States are poised to assault Fortress Europe. You and your fellow world powers control their fates.
Mortician

Balance this.

Post by Mortician » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:01 pm

How about the ultimate balancer. It also happens to be the simplest, and makes virtually no change to the rules: The bid.

Bid for the allies regarding how many turns they get to win, lowest bid plays allies(similar to a VP bid in A&A Pacific).

If the game truly favors the axis, bids will most likely be around 12-14. If some tough guy if feeling bullet-proof, he can bid 9 and learn how wrong he really was...

I've only played twice: once as axis, once as allies. I won both times and can honestly say that It was a result of the dice exclusivly, my strategy changed the outcome very little

Mortician :twisted:

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:07 am

Thanks Mortician – I like the way you present an argument for bidding. You suggest that it is the simplest and the fairest (my word).

I will remember this suggestion when the time comes to implement it or not.

Zeitsev

Game Design Pitfall

Post by Zeitsev » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:47 pm

Please beware of this pitfall in your next design.

What happens on the A&A: D-Day gameboard for 8 or 9 turns is almost irrelevant to the final outcome. The game almost plays itself.

This is largely due to:
- the game having a set number of turns.
- low unit movement rates. This particularly impacts the Allies negatively, since they have the burden of attacking and advancing across the map.
- the physical location of a key VP city (St. Lo) being close to the German board edge, and distant from the Allied reinforcement areas.
- the Order of Appearance of German units ame placing heavy reinforcements almost atop St. Lo at the endgame.

To draw a parallel, if the Alllies got Heavy Bombers/A-Bomb on Turn 15 of every game of A&A, it would have been consigned to the scrap heap a long time ago. Your challenge Larry, will be to balance the expected historicity of a known battle with having a gameplayer's actions contributing to the final outcome.

Good luck!

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:00 pm

Then join our forum and make this possible with your contributions for the advanced axis and allies game concept. We need people like you who have some definate ideas on what should have been. This forum serves as a vindication of our struggle to create the most perfect game possible and you can help make that possible. Please do so. Wecome to the site.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:46 am

Zeitsev – Thanks for your shared thoughts. Here’s a thought I’ve been having about D-Day lately... Let the 10 turn count continue. However, if the Allies have 12 or more units remaining the board the game continues for another turn. This continues until the Allies fall below 12 units.

Another possibility...After turn 10” Each Army (German American and British) rolls a die. The number rolled is the number of reinforcement units that can appear on the board this turn. Following the silhouettes on the BOTTOM of the reinforcement charts. Reading them from RIGHT to LEFT place those type of units on the board. If you roll a 6 you receive no reinforcements that turn.

As Imperious leader said: join our forum and make your contributions to the site.

zeitsev

thanks

Post by zeitsev » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:31 pm

Appreciate your welcome, guys. Regular A&A is one of the great wargame designs of all time. Proud to say my friends and I were Origins Champs in Team Play several years running - way back when.

Anyway, I'll try to join in more frequently.

Let me ruminate on your ideas below, Larry. Intuitively, however, the real problem with D-Day is that there seems to be too few zones. When combined with low movement rate, this leads to telegraphed blows, the inability to really surprise your opponent and an overall lack of strategic depth.

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:06 pm

comments noted
////

TMTM

Re: thanks

Post by TMTM » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:44 am

zeitsev wrote:...overall lack of strategic depth.
This is why there is more then one type of A&A game. Revised, Europe and Pacific have lots of strategic depth... I think D-Day does a great job at what it was meant to do... those guys where hitting the beach and taking lots of caualties and only had one direction.. straight ahead! So it is more of a luck style game... for seasoned A&A players. I know new players might not know what to do with there fighters and they will go used incorrectly etc.

I just love the thrill of rolling the dice and getting lucky... seeing my German opponent roll a 6 and be told he'll only get 1/2 his rolled Reinforcements. So many of my friends get so wrapped up in the strategy of the game.. they forget to have fun. If I roll a 3 1's with my A&A gun and kill all there fighters... you'd think it was the end of the world... it should be fun with both players looking at each other and laugh about it then shake there heads... I've seen my friends put wholes in his wall over a bad dice roll... I think they need professional help! J/k incase they read this 8)