Has this ever happened to you?!?

Axis & Allies D-Day begins as Operation Overlord, the invasion of German-held Normandy, is underway -- 130,000 soldiers of the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States are poised to assault Fortress Europe. You and your fellow world powers control their fates.
CanucKev

Has this ever happened to you?!?

Post by CanucKev » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:07 am

Played D-Day, for the first time in a while, last night ... I was the Allies, we played with all 3 sets of cards, and going by the "general feeling" (mostly from this forum, actually) that the Germans have the advantage, we added Canadian troops (basically, 15 extra reinforcements for the Allies).

Now there is one fortune card that if you roll a 1, you may re-roll one reinforcement die per sector; but if you roll a 6, your reinforcements are halved.

For EACH of the first six turns of the game, my friend rolled a 6 on that card. So he ALWAYS got half of his allotted reinforcements. To boot, he rolled awfully for his reinforcements anyway - he never got 6; he only got 5 twice; he only got 2 at least three times (all numbers are per sector).

Needless to say, the Allies walked ALL over the Germans. At the end of the game (turn 6 or 7, I forget - yes, he rolled 6's throughout the entire game), there were countless Allied units all over the board (including 8 more infantry waiting to land), and no German units.

My friend clearly lost this game due to luck. Has anyone ever had luck THAT bad?

(btw, we agreed to remove the fortune cards for our next game!)

TMTM

Post by TMTM » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:18 am

Oh yea... getting thos 6's at the wrong time can hurt... I've seen one side get a few sixes with the other side getting a few 1's... I think it's fun.. the games are fast.. it's nothing to get mad over... I just shake my head and smile and try to see if I'll get a few lucky cards in the next rounds.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Thu May 04, 2006 3:31 pm

Talking about luck, I just wrapped out my brand new D-day game today, and guess what, the german panther tanks in this game is even moore skinnier than the skinny panther from Revised. And the allied tanks too have a weird skinny-looking feeling. But what the heck, I'll just buy some metal pieces from CnC.

I have not played it yet, maybe to the weekend, but it sure looks bad with that order-cards. I hate cards. Is it possible to play without ?

But I do love the map, blue water and green territories.

The blockhouse piece looks goood, but I sure miss some landing craft pieces, just for the feeling.

Adler

captainzlog

Re: Has this ever happened to you?!?

Post by captainzlog » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:37 am

Yes! This happened to me last week, although I managed to win by having one surviving grenadier cling on to St.Lo (which changed hands several times.

We always play with all the cards, and the Naval bombardment rule (once blockhouses are gone, the ships can hit any other land target in coastal zones)

I also have 6 extra US and 3 British figures to use as airborne replacements if the allies get lucky enough. That way we don't draw on regular reinforcemets from the chart which would handicap the allies.

All my stuff gets a paint job and Canadian infantry get green battledress while the UK get brown. I use glue to build up the tropical shorts on the figures that come with the game; paras get a camo smock over khaki brown pants while the US airborne get tan jump suits. The Panzers look pretty cool in camo!

CanucKev wrote: Now there is one fortune card that if you roll a 1, you may re-roll one reinforcement die per sector; but if you roll a 6, your reinforcements are halved.

For EACH of the first six turns of the game, my friend rolled a 6 on that card. So he ALWAYS got half of his allotted reinforcements. To boot, he rolled awfully for his reinforcements anyway - he never got 6; he only got 5 twice; he only got 2 at least three times (all numbers are per sector).

My friend clearly lost this game due to luck. Has anyone ever had luck THAT bad?