d-day: more unreleased options?

Axis & Allies D-Day begins as Operation Overlord, the invasion of German-held Normandy, is underway -- 130,000 soldiers of the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States are poised to assault Fortress Europe. You and your fellow world powers control their fates.
elbowmaster

d-day: more unreleased options?

Post by elbowmaster » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:47 am

hi mr harris,

good to see you back!! we were hoping you had some other ideas that you wanted to share with d-day, something else that was chopped from the final release...

we really like how artillery works with your 1st update...we hope there was some more ideas that were canned but perhaps you want others to try some ideas that didnt make the final cut...

youll be happy to know that there are now 2 more new axis and allies fans (not including myself, cept im not new to the passion) who are now hooked and really hindering my map making :)

we hope to here from you...

-cheers

-elbowmaster

Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:56 pm

Well since you asked … how about a no turn limit?

thoes426

Post by thoes426 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:50 pm

Me and my best friend play that way: no turn limit.
The allies would not have given up in ten turns so to speak, so neither do we.

Thoes426 :twisted:
Strength lies not in defense but in attack.
Adolf Hitler

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:05 pm

thoes426 wrote:Me and my best friend play that way: no turn limit.
The allies would not have given up in ten turns so to speak, so neither do we.

Thoes426 :twisted:
good point!!

lets give it a try, surely will help the allies...generally they have more pieces toward the end of the game...

thanks for the option...

-cheers

-elbowmaster

CanucKev

Post by CanucKev » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:10 pm

IMHO, no turn limit would slant the game too much in favour of the Allies.

The way we play is, if the Allied player controls all 3 cities at the end of Turn 10, but did not control them at the beginning of Turn 10 (ie, they control them at the end of the game but they didn't hold them), then the game is a draw.

We tend to keep playing anyway (past the 10-Turn limit), time permitting of course ... but usually we let the "original" winner remain the winner ... usually ;)

I would say that if you were playing past the 10-Turn limit, then the Germans would get to reinforce again on Turn 11 ... since logically, that's how long it would take for reinforcements to "arrive" (that's how the Allies were battling time).

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:58 pm

Comments noted

Coldwarrior1984

Re: d-day: more unreleased options?

Post by Coldwarrior1984 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:52 pm

I finally got to play this game (non-solitaire; which, by the way rocks- the game is very suitable for solitaire play) and played for the Allies while my good friend and long time A&A enthusiast played the Axis.

My dice were on fire during the game and his were the opposite. By turn 9 he had only 3 tanks left and they were holed up in St. Lo. I litterally had the majority of both US and UK forces left, having only lost a handful, yet they were not fast enough to beat the turn clock. Even though I had St. Lo flanked on two sides and had a powerful center and bomber attacks available...I lost the game.

It was a complete rout for virtually the entire Axis army yet he won because of the turn limit. I knew at turn 5 that I was racing the clock, but just couldn't get the forces there fast enough because of the "lock-in-combat" ability of a single unit to lock down 8 of mine.

Coldwarrior1984

Re: d-day: more unreleased options?

Post by Coldwarrior1984 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:22 pm

Did you ever consider a "1 for 1" or even a "2 or 3 for 1" locked in combat rule? I was thinking that a single infantry stand should not be able to block the entire advance of 4 infantry and 4 tanks.

I think that having to detach a force to deal with the blocking force, but letting the remainder of the units pass through, might be a good idea. :idea: