Rules question and misc comments

Axis & Allies D-Day begins as Operation Overlord, the invasion of German-held Normandy, is underway -- 130,000 soldiers of the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States are poised to assault Fortress Europe. You and your fellow world powers control their fates.
ComradeKev

Rules question and misc comments

Post by ComradeKev » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:25 pm

I recently bought the game and have only played a couple of solos to iron out the wrinkles prior to rolling it out to my A&A (as opposed to AA) group. I'm pretty clear on most of the rules after browsing this site, Avalon's site and the A&A.org site. But I have a scenario that came up in my first game that I'd like to hear some feedback on.

I opted to use the Allies tactis 10 card (Inf attacking in conjunction with Art hit on a 2, limited to # of Art), but then in the subsequent Fortune 11 phase, I rolled a 1 (ALL Inf hit on a 2).

I'm thinking that the Allies are just SOL for having chosen that particular turn to use the Tactics card AND to get lucky in their Fortune roll, becuse the Tactics card is gone from the deck by the time the Fortune roll was made. But this seems to go against the spirit of using the Tactics card and the lucky Fortune roll for positive results....kind of a two Wrights make a wrong (and an airplane) thing.

Any comments?

On other matters, I've read a couple of posts regarding the naval bombardment of blockhouses with Allied units in the territory (both for and against). I think that if you look at it from a historical view, it probably makes sense for it to be allowed. When the US forces were bogged down by defensive fire, a US destroyer ventured into shallow water (and harm's way) to provide direct fire support. Now, because of the separation of the beachheads and the neighboring zones in the game, this might not be exactly the same, but I think it makes sense to allow it.

Also, for the optional rule with the standard artillery fire (Orders 9A and 11A), I think it would be worth investigating the limitation of this to fire ONLY into zones in which the Allies have ground units. These units would act as artillery spotters (as in real life, circa 1944), and thus the attacks would be "targeted" attacks.

In regards to unlimited Allied air cover, I think we have to consider the actual time (in terms of hours) that this game represents. If the Allies had half of their entire airforces eliminated in a single "sortie" in 1944 Europe, it's not realistic to expect that they would have had a ready reserve to replace those losses in a matter of hours. In the long run, yes, the allies had a virtually unlimited amount of air power, but by the time that many of those replacements would be able to reach the UK bases from the US, this particular battle would have been over. I believe the replacements that can be attained from good Fortune rolls would have represented aircraft en route prior to this battle's initiation or aircraft diverted from other operations near the theater.

Finally, on the uncoordinated attacks, I'm a little torn. On the one hand, it might seem logical to consider that if the Allies' (or Axis') guns jammed, the opponents wouldn't just decide to allow them to have a "freebie" by not providing defensive fire. But then when reading the Avalon site FAQ where it states:
With fortune card 11's Uncoordinated Attacks, if UK and US units are locked in combat in the same space, can you attack with just one country while the other does not attack?
Each player picks a zone in which only its units attack. If some units of the other side are there, they can't attack or be selected as casualties. (Of course, if both countries pick the same zone, then both can attack.) There are circumstances where rolling the 6 can be an advantage for the Allies, but they're few and far between.
The fact that it states that the other ally's units can't be seleced as casualties, plus the fact that it mentions the advantage of rolling a 6, seem to indicate that those chosen zones would be the ONLY places where combat would occur for that order card (note I didn't say turn... the Axis would still be able to attack in phase 13 after the Allies rolled an uncoordinated attack in phase 11).

In this case, perhaps it's better to consider the roll as a temporary smoke screen that affects all other zones, limiting fighting. The consideration of a smoke screen could work rather well in this instance because a smoke screen could clear in a matter of minutes, allowing a subsequent attack by the Axis powers in phase 13.

Any further discussion on this would be welcome.

Overall, I like the game and am thankful that we no longer have to set aside a block of 6-10 hours for a single game (I'm sure our wives thank Avalon Hill for that as well).

Guerrilla Guy

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:23 am

Concerning Uncoordinated attacks consider it as a truce condition in which you are too short on supplies to battle in most of your zones except 2...
"We're airborne. We’re supposed to be surrounded."

Dick Winters to 2nd Lt. George Rice after being told that the 101st Airborne would be surrounded at Bastogne

Games are like my Avatar...