theres a first time for everything

Axis & Allies D-Day begins as Operation Overlord, the invasion of German-held Normandy, is underway -- 130,000 soldiers of the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States are poised to assault Fortress Europe. You and your fellow world powers control their fates.
Guerrilla Guy

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:12 pm

Larry wrote:For what it’s worth - I like (love) D-Day a lot. I think it fits into the Axis & Allies line very well. It offers a somewhat fresh and different approach to Axis & Allies game mechanics. It’s quick to play. It’s exciting right up to the last die roll.
More importantly—
It’s a GREAT introductory game for newbe’s. Cut someone’s’ teeth on this one and you’ve got a playing partner for life.
Got it for this Christmas... This game was the Best of all AaA games played! and Larry I found out your right... while playing with my bro it was hard to keep myself civil(I played the allies)... excellent!

3 cheers...

GG
"We're airborne. We’re supposed to be surrounded."

Dick Winters to 2nd Lt. George Rice after being told that the 101st Airborne would be surrounded at Bastogne

Games are like my Avatar...

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:10 pm

after you get a few games under your belt, dont forget to check out additional rules provided in this forum...

good times!!!

Larry

Post by Larry » Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:11 pm

Comments noted
Thanks GG and good recommendation L-bow

d_ladd

Post by d_ladd » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:56 am

As someone who has never played a war board game I've always looked at these Axis & Allies boxes and really wanted to get one. I'm a bit of a WW2 nut, so I was excited when my wife bought me the game for christmas. My previous experience in table top games is mostly Statis Pro Football and Statis Pro Baseball. What turned out to be a random pick by my wife (getting the D-Day version) turned out to be a blessing. I work nights so it's a great game that I can play solitaire and finish in a few hours. I think a lot of the criticism of the game would've been averted if on the box it conveyed that it was a different style of play. Also, I've seen criticism of the reinforcement charts which is just nitpicking, really when I'm bringin in reinforcements, I'm not saying to myself "well here comes the such and such division" it really doesn't matter since past a certain point that division probably didn't land on such and such a beach anyways. The other crit that the game is slanted towards the Allies, well the first 4 game I've played the Allies won, with the last two I tried my damndest to get the Axis to win and I just couldn't do it. Overall I've had much enjoyment out of the game, probably since I was the intended audience.

Just thought I'd ad some positive feedback in the sea of negative.

elbowsanchez

Post by elbowsanchez » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:54 pm

Aloha d_ladd!!

thanks for posting!!

be sure and check out the d-day optional gaming

Optional Play

Cheers!!

ES
-The evil Bert & friend