Requesting feedback regarding three tactics cards.

Axis & Allies D-Day begins as Operation Overlord, the invasion of German-held Normandy, is underway -- 130,000 soldiers of the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States are poised to assault Fortress Europe. You and your fellow world powers control their fates.
ComradeKev

Requesting feedback regarding three tactics cards.

Post by ComradeKev » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:18 am

Having played several games, both alone and with opponents, I've found that the factors having the greatest effect on the outcomes are the Fortune rolls, and the skill with which the players handle their fortune or misfortune. (I think the actual tally is Axis-3, Allies-2, Draw-1 =>house rule when cities cleared but not by end of turn 9)

But now to the reason for my post. I have a couple of questions regarding several tactics cards for which I haven't found any direction. I'd like to get a feel for the community in order to establish my house rules.

Tactics #4- Axis chooses a zone in which an Allied fighter was shot down and selects an allied unit to remove... My question is this- should the unit be in the same zone in which the fighter was shot down, or could it be in an adjacent zone (similar to the friendly fire by a bomber)? The reason for this is that I've found that it seems that the fighters rarely get positioned in a zone with friendlies. Occasionally, I've found it necessary to post them in a zone with friendlies, but if possible, I tend to try to put them in zones where Axis troops will move out (or possibly even through in the case of tanks). I liken this to the aircraft working beyond the front, rather than providing close air support. When they're positioned forward, there's no opportunity for the Axis to use this tactic. Thoughts?

Tactics # 12- French Resistance, Allies roll for each Axis controlled city and select a unit to remove on a 1 or 2. Does the unit have to be in that city, or can it be ANY unit on the board? In the instance of Cherbourg, it often seems to be abandoned except for the blockhouse. It seems to me that the French Resistance was active throughout the country, not just in the cities.

Tactics # 14- Move any # of fighters to a single Axis reinforcement zone. I have two questions about this one. Suppose that the Allies rolled a 6 in their Fortune #3 and were only able to sortie three fighters this turn. I'm thinking that they'd only be able to place up to those three fighters with this tactic card, since they're the only ones that are in theatre on this turn. Correct? Secondly, what about any Axis AA that's already in the selected zone. It seems to me that the AA ought to get a chance when the fighters relocate to their zone (since the fighters are going to be loitering in the area and the AA were prepositioned). If they're allowed to fire, should they reroll for Fortune or take the fortune that may have been previously rolled?

I'm leaning towards allowing shot down fighters to crash in adjacent zones, allowing the French Resistance to roam freely throughout the theater, and limiting # of fighters to those sortied for the turn while allowing AA to fire with previously rolled (if any) Fortune (which means we'll have to keep track of it).

Anyone have ideas/suggestions for these tactics?

captainzlog

La Resistance!

Post by captainzlog » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:14 pm

E played last night and this card came up. Caen was in British hands (temporarily!), St. Lo was unoccupied and only Cherbourg had German troops in it. We decided it made more sense to say that a resistance cell would be based in one of these cities, but could operate anywhere outside it, as it's easier to ambush convoys or blow up troop trains in the countryside.......

Maybe the rule could be resistance cells can operate up to two zones away from their home city?

On a different subject entirely, I'd like to nominate my wife (who was playing Allies) for the Blue Max or Knight's Cross (with diamonds, naturally :roll: ) for rolling 6's on 3 successive turns for fighters and once for bombers, resulting in Luftwaffe attacks which all but obliterated her air forces!

Added to a succesful V2 strike in the first turn, some good shooting by the blockhouses and unusually accurate flak, the game ended in turn 5......

Krieghund

Re: Requesting feedback regarding three tactics cards.

Post by Krieghund » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:50 am

ComradeKev wrote:Tactics #4- Axis chooses a zone in which an Allied fighter was shot down and selects an allied unit to remove... My question is this- should the unit be in the same zone in which the fighter was shot down, or could it be in an adjacent zone (similar to the friendly fire by a bomber)? The reason for this is that I've found that it seems that the fighters rarely get positioned in a zone with friendlies. Occasionally, I've found it necessary to post them in a zone with friendlies, but if possible, I tend to try to put them in zones where Axis troops will move out (or possibly even through in the case of tanks). I liken this to the aircraft working beyond the front, rather than providing close air support. When they're positioned forward, there's no opportunity for the Axis to use this tactic. Thoughts?
According to the card text, you may choose an adjacent zone if you wish.
ComradeKev wrote:Tactics # 12- French Resistance, Allies roll for each Axis controlled city and select a unit to remove on a 1 or 2. Does the unit have to be in that city, or can it be ANY unit on the board? In the instance of Cherbourg, it often seems to be abandoned except for the blockhouse. It seems to me that the French Resistance was active throughout the country, not just in the cities.
Per the card text, the unit must be in city zone. A block house may be chosen, as it is a land unit.
ComradeKev wrote:Tactics # 14- Move any # of fighters to a single Axis reinforcement zone. I have two questions about this one. Suppose that the Allies rolled a 6 in their Fortune #3 and were only able to sortie three fighters this turn. I'm thinking that they'd only be able to place up to those three fighters with this tactic card, since they're the only ones that are in theatre on this turn. Correct?
Correct.
ComradeKev wrote:Secondly, what about any Axis AA that's already in the selected zone. It seems to me that the AA ought to get a chance when the fighters relocate to their zone (since the fighters are going to be loitering in the area and the AA were prepositioned). If they're allowed to fire, should they reroll for Fortune or take the fortune that may have been previously rolled?
No, artillery may only fire on air units when directed to do so by an order card.

Wow, this is an old thread. Better late than never, I guess.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

captainzlog

Re: resistance and axis AA

Post by captainzlog » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:58 pm

ComradeKev wrote:Tactics # 12- French Resistance, >>>>
Per the card text, the unit must be in city zone. A block house may be chosen, as it is a land unit.

Seems unrealistic as FFI cells were more active in the countryside than the city. Also, the blochouses represent huge shore batteries in the coastal quarantined zones and they were never attacked or destroyed by the FFI. We'll stick to our house rules
ComradeKev wrote:Secondly, what about any Axis AA that's already in the selected zone. It seems to me that the AA ought to get a chance when the fighters relocate to their zone (since the fighters are going to be loitering in the area and the AA were prepositioned).
No, artillery may only fire on air units when directed to do so by a card[/quote]

It is more balanced and realistic to allow AA units "opportunity fire" at targets that appear in the same way that fighters get to strafe anything that moves into/out of their patrol area