what should be next?

Axis & Allies D-Day begins as Operation Overlord, the invasion of German-held Normandy, is underway -- 130,000 soldiers of the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States are poised to assault Fortress Europe. You and your fellow world powers control their fates.

Which battle should be next?

Midway
18%
Kursk
12%
The Bulge
18%
Stalingrad
33%
France 1940
14%
Iwo Jima
5%

Total votes: 66

Guerrilla Guy

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:08 pm

Thankyou Comrade. We will wait...
"We're airborne. We’re supposed to be surrounded."

Dick Winters to 2nd Lt. George Rice after being told that the 101st Airborne would be surrounded at Bastogne

Games are like my Avatar...

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:36 am

Comrade -Stick a " ' " in the "were"

Dick Winters to 4th Infantry Division Soldier after being told that the 101st Airborne would be surrounded at Bastogne

Sabre Von Manteuffel

Post by Sabre Von Manteuffel » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:40 am

Larry,

they are gaming geeks, not English majors. :roll: Plus, his icon shows he's hitting the sauce anyway, so I'm sure he will chalk it up to "typo" again.

By the way, anyone got the new World War II magazine....good article in there, and I love the way it lays the "truth" on the line--you know, the one we were never told in history class when we were kids because the Cold War was raging and we couldn't give the Ruskies their props:

"In size, scope-and results-Operation Bagration, the Soviet offensive of 1944, made the Normandy landings look like a mere scuffle."

You here that, Larry? Your D-Day game is a "scuffle" compared to the bigger picture....so where's our Eastern Front game. :twisted:

And the whole "Airborne surrounded at Bastogne"--whatever. They weren't in any REAL danger of being permanently cut-off from friendly lines, and the war was over by then, Germany just hadn't knocked over their king yet. If Stalingrad and the 6th isn't good enough for real surrounded, then research Cholm (or Kolm) and see how German Soldiers fared when cut-off and surrounded.

Don't get me wrong, love my country, and serve it proudly, but damn, them Russians took a beating, bounced back, and layed into them Krauts like no tomorrow while we took our time getting there to let them kill each other. 8) Roosevelt wasn't stupid.

...my 2 cents anyway.

-Sabre
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in English, thank an American Veteran!

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:00 pm

Manteuffel - how come you're still in Germany? I would have thought you'd have done a tour or two in Iraq by now... (and if you do go, please do two things: keep us posted and keep youself safe).

I'm not trying to be an English teacher to ole GG. I just wanted that quote done correctely.

The things that happened on the Eastern front are amazing. The size and scope are of another proportion. That was, from an American point of view, a relatively unknown event.

I would like to point out a thing or two however. The reason the Western front seemed relatively easy was because we did it RIGHT. We fought a mechanized war both on the land and in the air. The Eastern front was just a big slugging match. The second point I wanted to make... I don't think there was the same degree of hatred on the Western front as there was on the Eastern front.

Nonetheless, it was much better to be 20 back in the 40's and be American or British than to be 20 and be German or Russian.

_Larry_________

Dick Winters to 4th Infantry Division Soldier after being told that the 101st Airborne would be surrounded at Bastogne

Guerrilla Guy

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:08 pm

um it does read we're. I don't need to correct it. :lol:

And yes the sauce of AaA keaps me goin' everfyday, aitn' thta righ't guy''s? Tey tould telllll ya/!

GG

Dick Winters to 2nd Lt. George Rice after being told that the 101st Airborne would be surrounded at Bastogne

squirecam

Post by squirecam » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:33 pm

Sabre Von Manteuffel wrote: "In size, scope-and results-Operation Bagration, the Soviet offensive of 1944, made the Normandy landings look like a mere scuffle."

You here that, Larry? Your D-Day game is a "scuffle" compared to the bigger picture....so where's our Eastern Front game. :twisted:

-Sabre
um.. A&A Europe....

Squirecam

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:13 pm

Naaa.

GG! Read your quote very very carefully... AND FIX IT! please.

Guerrilla Guy

Post by Guerrilla Guy » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:01 pm

Second were or make that we're... fixed. I have to agree that is probably one of the best quotes from a WW2 Film/mini series (In this Case "Band of Brothers".) My second pick is from the same movie:

"Where the hell are we?"
"Well it definitely isn't hell. It's too cold!"

GG