of what might have been...

Axis & Allies D-Day begins as Operation Overlord, the invasion of German-held Normandy, is underway -- 130,000 soldiers of the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States are poised to assault Fortress Europe. You and your fellow world powers control their fates.
Larry

Post by Larry » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:05 am

I remember playing the Avalon Hill D-Day game you are referring to. I liked that game a lot. That was about a thousand years ago. One of the big parts of the game was deciding where to invade or where to defend the strongest . After that it was pretty much any of the AH battle games. It was indeed a huge chunk of Europe we were dealing with. The trade off with that game was the loss of details which made up the invasion itself. Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno and Sword beach played no role in the game and were dwarfed out of existence.

As in all my Axis & Allies games, I wanted to teach or stress some of the rudimentary historical aspects of the war. I especially wanted it to deal with the Normandy beach area where the invasion actually took place. I did consider a larger map of France but decided to limit the game to Normandy.

conao

Post by conao » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:12 pm

I am just finishing to read "D-Day" from Stephen Ambrose. But nothing will probably make me have (and memorize) a good picture of the region and battles of the invasion than A&A D-Day! I think you got your objectives Larry... with thousands (or millions?) of fans. How does it feel, huh!? :!:

conao

Post by conao » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:15 pm

I just want to add to Imperious Leader that, anyway, this game your are talking about sounds very interesting! Go ahead, make it! :!:

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:16 pm

good times imperious leader!!

ive enjoyed the work youve sent me, and im sure you will not have any problem with this next version your creating!!

-cheers

-elbowmaster

conao

Post by conao » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:45 pm

Holly molly! Is that a german or what!? The guy has already planned how many hours it is going to take him and how many pages the manual should have! :shock: :shock: :shock:
This doesn't sound like an amateur work... are you doing that for a living!? :)

Just kidding, but now comes my real comment: the list of units is great... for a PC game! Are you sure we can handle it in a board game, together with lines of supplies and all that air stuff without making the mechanics of a single turn too complex and too long?

An idea... how about some restrictions to cross the Rhine to drive for a Market Garden. And how about making the second invasion turn free (up to player decision), allowing him to react or antecipate any Axis movement to block the Rhine? Bridge units maybe... to be secured, blown or built?

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:06 pm

we like D12s as well...

-cheers

-elbowmaster