Discussion of Axis & Allies game play change in BotB

Apparently The Axis & Allies site over at Avalon Hill is going to be phased out soon. A new one will replace it. If you have something over there that you don’t want to be evaporated into thin air then cut and paste it, and bring it over here so that it is not lost forever.
Post Reply
User avatar
elbowsanchez
Posts: 1323
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:45 am
Location: Western Boogerland
Contact:

Discussion of Axis & Allies game play change in BotB

Post by elbowsanchez » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:14 am

11-30-2006, 09:03 AM #4
Nuclear
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North of Chicago IL, USA
Posts: 473


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got the game yesterday. From the looks of it, in my opinion it seems it was almost not worth buying. It is so far removed from the traditional game play and mechincs of what made the orginial axis and allies so good. But I could be wrong. I still have to give the game a try.
__________________
Work smarter, not harder.
Come to http://tzaxisallies.proboards44.com/ for all of your Map Needs


Nuclear
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Nuclear
Visit Nuclear's homepage!
Find More Posts by Nuclear
Add Nuclear to Your Buddy List

11-30-2006, 10:23 AM #5
TrimChris
Hail Caesar!




Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dallasium
Posts: 3,743

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any game for individual battles would have to be significantly different by design. There's a big difference between executing a battle and a whole war.
__________________
Are you not entertained?

Wizards of the Coast, let my Avalon Hill go!


TrimChris
View Public Profile
Send a private message to TrimChris
Find More Posts by TrimChris
Add TrimChris to Your Buddy List

11-30-2006, 02:36 PM #6
Nuclear
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North of Chicago IL, USA
Posts: 473


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True. But perhaps it should not have been given the Axis and Allies name on the box. I wonder how many returns AH will recieve due to people thinking that the game is played almost the same way as Axis and Allies the Originial, Axis and Allies Revised, Axis and Allies Europe, and Axis and Allies Pacific.

I do not consider Axis and Allies BoB to be a true Axis and Allies game.

The Axis and Allies name is highly valued, and it appears as if AH just created a game and throw on the name Axis and Allies in an attempt to sell more copies. I wonder how many copies would have been sold if it did not say Axis and Allies on it. It could have just said, Battle of the Buldge.

If you want to get philosophical, this could be seen as unethical by AH. Just because something is legal in no way makes it ethical. Read Good Paster for example.

I just know I am not going to be buying another AH game until the rules are posted on their website for the game. I find it quite weird that all of the other axis and allies games have their rules aviable for download on their main pages, while BoB does not.

Next time you go to the hardware store please notice how they do not label screw drivers as power tools.
__________________
Work smarter, not harder.
Come to http://tzaxisallies.proboards44.com/ for all of your Map Needs


Nuclear
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Nuclear
Visit Nuclear's homepage!
Find More Posts by Nuclear
Add Nuclear to Your Buddy List

11-30-2006, 05:28 PM #7
boylermaker
{2-14}




Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 1,399

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear
I do not consider Axis and Allies BoB to be a true Axis and Allies game.

The Axis and Allies name is highly valued, and it appears as if AH just created a game and throw on the name Axis and Allies in an attempt to sell more copies.

We had a discussion on this here. You may want to take a look.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear
I find it quite weird that all of the other axis and allies games have their rules aviable for download on their main pages, while BoB does not.

The rules are posted online. True, the link is only in the designer articles, but if you didn't even read the designer articles, you didn't do very much research. They make it immediately clear that BoB is not your grandmother's A&A game. I cannot feel very sorry for anyone who is looking to buy this game online and doesn't even look at a basic source like the publisher's website for information.

And if one buys it in a store, it is immediately obvious by looking at the box that this is not merely an A&A retread. You can see hexes, d12's, and all sorts of unorthodox goodies.

I have trouble conceiving of how one could be "taken" by BoB.
__________________

Repeal the Seventeenth Amendment!


boylermaker
View Public Profile
Send a private message to boylermaker
Send email to boylermaker
Find More Posts by boylermaker
Add boylermaker to Your Buddy List

12-01-2006, 05:14 AM #8
Yoper
WBC A&A Tournament GM


Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Saint Clair, MI
Posts: 1,411 This is not one of those times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear
True. But perhaps it should not have been given the Axis and Allies name on the box. I wonder how many returns AH will recieve due to people thinking that the game is played almost the same way as Axis and Allies the Originial, Axis and Allies Revised, Axis and Allies Europe, and Axis and Allies Pacific.

I do not consider Axis and Allies BoB to be a true Axis and Allies game.

The Axis and Allies name is highly valued, and it appears as if AH just created a game and throw on the name Axis and Allies in an attempt to sell more copies. I wonder how many copies would have been sold if it did not say Axis and Allies on it. It could have just said, Battle of the Buldge.

If you want to get philosophical, this could be seen as unethical by AH. Just because something is legal in no way makes it ethical. Read Good Paster for example.

I just know I am not going to be buying another AH game until the rules are posted on their website for the game. I find it quite weird that all of the other axis and allies games have their rules aviable for download on their main pages, while BoB does not.

Next time you go to the hardware store please notice how they do not label screw drivers as power tools.


Hasbro has done alot of things to make me ill, to include the use of the A&A name on something that is clearly not A&A- the minis. But this game, while having some new machanics, is still in line with the general ideas of A&A.

As for not being up on what is going on, it would seem that you haven't been around the fourms in a while to not have seen the discussion on this topic.

Craig


Yoper
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Yoper
Send email to Yoper
Find More Posts by Yoper
Add Yoper to Your Buddy List

12-01-2006, 08:26 AM #9
StrafingRunGames
Our Return Is Unlikely




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 39

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warfare conducted by small plastic military units...check
Use of dice to determine combat results...check
Folding game board with WWII-era battlefield divided into territories...check
Compartmented tray for storage of above military units...check
Chips, cardboard tokens, and a box with WWII generals and equipment printed on the front...

What exactly is it about this game that you have determined to be "non-Axis & Allies"?

Wouldn't we all get tired of playing the exact same combat system over and over with no new rules or major changes to gameplay?

If they did THAT, everyone would complain that AH was simply making a new board each time and shoving the same old game down our throats, instead of complaining that we are getting new games with the same name...it boggles the mind what people come up with to complain about.

As far as branding the Axis & Allies name, its a well-established brand that people will associate with WW2-themed games and they have every right to use it for such products. The only time they really ****** me off with it was when they attached it to that piece-of-crap RTS game for the PC, which really had nothing to do with the board games that we have grown to love. In THAT case, yes they were just using the name to sell us another product (in my opinion).


StrafingRunGames
View Public Profile
Send a private message to StrafingRunGames
Send email to StrafingRunGames
Visit StrafingRunGames's homepage!
Find More Posts by StrafingRunGames
Add StrafingRunGames to Your Buddy List

12-01-2006, 08:39 AM #10
StrafingRunGames
Our Return Is Unlikely




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 39

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not to mention the fact that as they release these new battle-specific games, it's almost their DUTY to change the rules and combat system of each one to keep it interesting. This gives each battle, and therefore each game, a unique flavor that goes along with its theme.

BoB without the supply issues would not capture the emotion faced by the German tank commanders as they struggled to plan their assaults around fuel demands. Put the supply issue into Basic A&A and it bogs down the game with logistics. In BoB it fits right in.

In D-Day, we got the new rules surrounding how aircraft interdict enemy movement, a MAJOR factor in keeping the Germans from pushing us right back off the beach. That game would not have nearly the same feel without it.

Think of each new release as a new WWII movie. You want new actors, musical score, and special effects for each one, right? Don't you want them all to be different from eachother, yet share the same theme?

Roll the dice, move your plastic pieces, call it A&A and enjoy!


12-01-2006, 09:31 AM #11
Larry Harris



Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: North Shore - Boston
Posts: 123

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow... Comments noted
-The evil Bert & friend

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest