Why do you play?: (posted by Frog)

Apparently The Axis & Allies site over at Avalon Hill is going to be phased out soon. A new one will replace it. If you have something over there that you don’t want to be evaporated into thin air then cut and paste it, and bring it over here so that it is not lost forever.
elbowsanchez

Why do you play?: (posted by Frog)

Post by elbowsanchez » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:24 am

06-01-2004, 06:22 AM #1
Frog
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have only been posting here for a few months now but have noticed some patterns in people post. About many different things. I play A &A with a math teacher and he often calculates the odds of battles. I am a history teacher and mostly like the historical aspect of the game. Others hate war but love the strategies and Thinking. Another friend just likes the to get together as a group.

So now I ask, why do you play?

I don't need anyone to be critical of anyones reasons, simply tell the reason why you play.

06-01-2004, 06:56 AM #2
Sinister
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a degree in military history, so it's the history that pulls me in.

06-01-2004, 07:09 AM #3
the Elf of the Orient

Men are born to fight. The current society doesn't give me such a life. A&A at least gives me sense of existense.

06-01-2004, 09:37 AM #4
TrimChris
Hail Caesar!

To **** off people who think they can beat me!

Wizards of the Coast, let my Avalon Hill go!

06-01-2004, 10:47 AM #5
axis_roll

I grew up learning all about WWII history.

This game incorporates a historical set-up of the most largest and most volatile conflict in mankind.

There's a great deal of strategies (many more possible with A&A revised) and a fair amount of luck involved (you can win a huge battle that might sway the game in your favor if things are getting desperate...)

It's nice to have a chance to 'change' history and make the bad guys win (no offense to those Axis powers lovers [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

06-01-2004, 11:14 AM #6
Orillian

Simply because the game exercises my brain. And the board and pieces are nice to look at.

[ June 01, 2004, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Orillian ]

06-01-2004, 11:41 AM #7
Herbavida

I was thinking it is kind of like being a war re-enactor without having to buy a uniform and spending a weekend in a trench.

06-01-2004, 11:53 AM #8
Zombie

For the strategy and tactics. This is not my favorite game, but it's a pretty good one.

06-01-2004, 12:13 PM #9
sumthinelse
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.For many of the reasons listed by others above. Plus I think it helps my sons with geography, history, etc

06-01-2004, 12:14 PM #10
Lobo

(1)The historical aspect
(2)Strategy and tactics

The Axis & Allies series are brilliantly balanced between historical realism/complexity and ease of play/game time.
-The evil Bert & friend

elbowsanchez

Post by elbowsanchez » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:41 am

06-01-2004, 05:37 PM #11
plasticman

When I first bought the game, it was for all the cool little toys (pieces) that came with it.

Today, my love of history, of strategy, and of little toys is what makes me enjoy this game.

06-01-2004, 05:45 PM #12
series
the creepy smiley guy

Well, I love history, so that's a reason. Also, because I like having to think to outwit opponents. And, the chance of me growing up to be a military general is slim, I get my chance now.

06-01-2004, 09:56 PM #13
RobMP40

Frog,

Great thread! As for my reason, well, it's gonna sound hoaky.I've always been interested in WWII, and every time I take a trip into "A&A land", it gives me good cause to appreciate how fortunate I am to be living my humble little life because of the sacrifices made by so many back then.Every time, I consider myself to be very lucky to enjoy the everyday simplicities that those who paid the ultimate price back then never got the chance to. I hope I never forget that. Now that I'm done being dramatic, did I also mention that it's a great chance to tip a brew with your pals in a toast to the remembrance of all those truely great people? Cause it is!

-Rob

RobMP40

06-02-2004, 05:40 PM #14
DocD
Spectreman

I'm a history buff, so I would have to say for the historical aspect. I also like military strategy and tactics so that too plays a big part of why I play AandA.

06-02-2004, 06:08 PM #15
oculona
Strength through Honor

Strategy and Tactics.

06-03-2004, 02:31 AM #16
holywolfman
{M}-Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oculona:
Strategy and Tactics.

I, too, AGREE! I like the history 'Era' aspect of it as well!

-Nick- [img]smile.gif[/img]

"...G-r-o-o-v-y!"
-Ash (Army of Darkness)

06-03-2004, 02:05 PM #17
Larry Harris

Great thread
-The evil Bert & friend

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:29 am

06-03-2004, 01:12 PM #18
Sinister

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Harris:
Great thread

Yes, but why do you play larry?

06-03-2004, 03:05 PM #19
LasVegasAirField
Military Intel Analyst

I play for a number of reasons. Military lifestyle is in my blood and I am "into" military history and intelligence. Further, its a game of luck and strategy that is turn based - play the game at a pace comfortable for YOU. This is one of the biggest hangups I have about todays video games...Real Time Strategy sucks.
Nellis Air Force Base, on Las Vegas Boulevard North about 10 miles northeast of downtown Las Vegas, bills itself as "home of the fighter pilot" and anyone who's anyone in the world of aerial combat has trained at Nellis at one time or another.

06-03-2004, 05:16 PM #20
holywolfman
{M}-Club Member

Not to mention playing 'video' games (even in on-line) is far less PERSONAL than playing upfront with a Great boardgame with a group of friends....not to mention the 'whining' and 'diplomacy' and 'back-stabbing' that ensues as well! Boardgaming is where it's at!

-Nick- [img]smile.gif[/img]

"...G-r-o-o-v-y!"
-Ash (Army of Darkness)
Last edited by elbowmaster on Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:29 am

06-04-2004, 08:30 PM #21
Frog

I have convinced several of my Jr. High students to switch from playing the computer version to the board game because they enjoyed the interaction so much!!

I'm hoping they start their own club.

06-04-2004, 08:45 PM #22
Moderator Sinister
Uber Mod
Originally posted by Frog:
I have convinced several of my Jr. High students to switch from playing the computer version to the board game because they enjoyed the interaction so much!!

I'm hoping they start their own club.

Frog,

At the high school I teach at we too have a weekly A&A club.

"In war, everyone's a winner"

06-04-2004, 08:56 PM #23
pdubarry
Imperial Scout

It's like chess with toy soldiers and dice. What could be more fun?

06-04-2004, 10:04 PM #24
Larry Harris

Frog & M’Sinister
My wife’s a teacher as well (Special Ed.) She wants me to go in and teach some WWII history next week. I think I will. I love the idea that A&A has some educational value. I read somewhere that 60% of all American students could not name the Axis nor the Allies. Well when I’m done there will be this small group who will no longer fall into that statistic.

06-04-2004, 10:11 PM #25
Moderator Sinister
Uber Mod
Originally posted by Larry Harris:
Frog & M’Sinister
My wife’s a teacher as well (Special Ed.) She wants me to go in and teach some WWII history next week. I think I will. I love the idea that A&A has some educational value. I read somewhere that 60% of all American students could not name the Axis nor the Allies. Well when I’m done there will be this small group who will no longer fall into that statistic.

Way cool Larry, My wife also works with special ed kids. She's in the severly disabled room.

In my very first American History class in college, I remember the professor telling the class, "If you don't know why december 7, 1941 is important or what war the TV show MASH is about, I want you to get up, leave, and drop the class. I remember 2 people actually getting up and leaving!

[ June 05, 2004, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: Moderator Sinister ]

"In war, everyone's a winner"

06-05-2004, 04:14 AM #26
Karel Doorman
drummer

1. Interested in history of warfare
2. Helps me to improve my strategical thinking capabilities
3. In contradiction to point 2: great excuse for drinking to much beer during a weekend (A&A Korsakov out now!)
4. Every game loads of opportunities in my friendgroup to insult each other. The fun is the best part!

06-05-2004, 09:38 AM #27
joe ward nyc

As Zombie put it The strategy and tactics. This is not my favorite game, but it's a good one!( a 9 on a 1-10)

06-07-2004, 05:11 AM #28
Stephen
Major Wiggum

My mother was in Germany during the war, my grandfather worked in a factory assembling the Luftwaffe which generates my interest in WW2. In 44 they were smart enough to recognize the incoming doom from the Soviets and fled the East to the West.

One aspect of this game I love is, when the Axis, if I lose, who do I lose to, Russia or US/UK? There's no split in AAR... Gives me a reason to play to the death [img]smile.gif[/img]

I love this game and only regret that I wasn't introduced to it as a child when my friends and I had enough time to play. Now I mostly play to recapture my lost youth and perfect my planning ahead skills [img]smile.gif[/img]

06-07-2004, 06:12 AM #29
Drax Kramer

I love military history, especially WW2.

I love playing wargames.

Axis&Allies combine these two interests of mine in the single package playable in single session. The fact that it uses plastic miniatures as opposed to cardboard counters is an icing on the cake.

Granted, I'd love for some rules to be more based on historical abilities of several major powers rather than popular myths or what is deemed as fun, but that's just me.

The point is that I can't wait for Saturday night to open my birthday present and share the experience with my friends who were there when we opened our MB version fourteen years ago.

Keep them coming Larry, I'll buy every single one! I can't wait to teach my two sons (5 and 2) to play against me.

Drax

06-07-2004, 07:44 AM #30
Krieghund
A&A Boardgame Answer Guy

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
Last edited by elbowmaster on Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:30 am

06-07-2004, 12:50 PM #31
series
the creepy smiley guy

about what Larry Harris said, I am very ashamed of my fellow classmates. Being in middle school, I am one of maybe 3 students in the honor classes who know anything significant about WWII and history in general.

06-07-2004, 06:43 PM #32
Lobo
Originally posted by Krieghund:
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"

Grunt. Grunt. I forgot about that one. Darn sensitivity training.

06-07-2004, 06:54 PM #33
Larry Harris

You go Drazen.. Happy to hear about your sons. Seems like things are starting to come back together in your country. Spring time is a good time to think about renewals.

06-13-2004, 07:34 AM #34
moppar

i just love the little pieces, i play for the strategy and the game gives us a good reason to get away from the wives for a day.

06-13-2004, 11:12 PM #35
syndicate
Control

It's the best, all rounded WWII game. Easy to learn, fun to play with best replay value. Cheers to the designers and publishers~