Greeting to Larry Harris: Topic by Darksideknight

Apparently The Axis & Allies site over at Avalon Hill is going to be phased out soon. A new one will replace it. If you have something over there that you don’t want to be evaporated into thin air then cut and paste it, and bring it over here so that it is not lost forever.
elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:06 pm

02-24-2004, 06:23 PM #81
Drewcooter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree that Eagle games has made big map boards. The Problem is that with they waste at least 1/3 to half the space with artwork and unusealbe space. ACW (American Civil War) is especially bad in that regard.

Yes they have big boards but still have tiny spaces , that not even a single arty unit will fit in.

I wish Eagle games would worry more about content and functionality then asthetics.

Drewcooter
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Drewcooter
Add Drewcooter to Your Buddy List

02-25-2004, 04:07 AM #82
Drax Kramer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you checked their boards for the "Attack"?

Drax

[ February 25, 2004, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Moderator John ]

Drax Kramer
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Drax Kramer
Send email to Drax Kramer
Find More Posts by Drax Kramer
Add Drax Kramer to Your Buddy List

02-25-2004, 06:54 AM #83
elbowmaster
ELBOW{M}E{M}BER

Quote:
Have you checked their boards for the "Attack"?

Attack is more along the lines of "LARGE" game board that i was thinking about...i too could do with out all the little background pics...nice topographical map, giving you the feel of world conquest..

Quote:
ACW (American Civil War) is especially bad in that regard.

Agreed, but they made the mistake and fixed that issue in following games...

Quote:
I wish Eagle games would worry more about content and functionality then asthetics.

a sexy board doesnt make a sexy game...Agreed, content is just as important, and i dont feel axis and allies fits that...axis and allies is sexy!!!

Quote:
Will you be making a map after the revised edition is released that includes the changes?

absolutely!!

-cheers

-elbowmaster

[ February 25, 2004, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: elbowmaster ]

elbowmaster
View Public Profile
Send a private message to elbowmaster
Send email to elbowmaster
Visit elbowmaster's homepage!
Find More Posts by elbowmaster
Add elbowmaster to Your Buddy List

02-26-2004, 08:29 AM #84
Larry Harris

Thrasher
Nice to see you here. I vaguely remember talk about Chinese and French counters but think they were actually ever made.

Elbowmaster
Large maps are the way to go. The problem is if they are casemade boards like what AH makes they are really expensive. I play on enlarged maps- it’s just easier. And like you I’m very visual too.

There is a lot of positive buzz about the revised edition… I’m feeling good about that.

I thank you for your kind offer of one of your maps. I have all the enlarged maps I can use. None-the-less, I find your offer to be very generous and once again thank you for your kind offer.

Dadof5
You should look into this..!

Sniper in the Ruins
I think Eagle games makes some really beautiful maps.

Larry Harris
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Larry Harris
Add Larry Harris to Your Buddy List

02-26-2004, 10:58 AM #85
elbowmaster
ELBOW{M}E{M}BER

Quote:
Large maps are the way to go. The problem is if they are casemade boards like what AH makes they are really expensive.

thats too bad...

perhaps that will change in the future... [img]smile.gif[/img]

i wonder what expensive is to AH...??? AH consider anything different than casemade boards...???

i do appreciate your comments and visitation to elbowmaster.com

stay tuned, lets see how this game looks on a DMA map...

-cheers

-elbowmaster

elbowmaster
View Public Profile

02-27-2004, 04:19 AM #86
Drewcooter

Larry,

I agree that Ealge Games makes some wonderful boards and with each new game they are becoming more functional for play as well.

War, AOI! and ACW both have serious problems with the functionality of their boards. However, with NIE, Civ and the Attack series they are making good looking boards that are functional as well.

Additionally Larry thank you for A&A; I bought my first copy on the Fall of 84 when I was in H.S. It has been my favorite game ever since. I own all of the M.B. GM series. I am very excited that you are working with Glenn on C.O.T.E.

Game on!

Drewcooter
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Drewcooter
Add Drewcooter to Your Buddy List

02-27-2004, 07:54 PM #87
CommanderofWar

Goood day, Larry Harris and Mike. I am esteemed member in the Axis and Allies communities. I would like to thank you for all the effort you put it. I bet the money aint bad either.

Edited above

[ February 28, 2004, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Robert Levis aka CommanderofWar ]

CommanderofWar
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by CommanderofWar
Add CommanderofWar to Your Buddy List

02-28-2004, 10:38 AM #88
Larry Harris

Elbowmaster
Looking forward to it.

Sniper in the Ruins
I thank you for your ” thank you’s”. Fall 1984… That was very soon after the games were released. FYI, I managed to get the very first game of Axis & Allies off the assembly line. I had the box signed and dated by the project engineer. I did the same thing for Conquest of the Empire and Broadsides and Boarding Parties. Needless to say - These are prized possessions.

Robert Levis aka Commanderofwar
It’s Larry or Harris not Larris. You are an esteemed member in the Axis and Allies communities? Congratulations! You are welcome and as for money being so good, I’m writing to you today from the Caribbean. Shark! Shark! Shark!

Larry Harris
View Public Profile

02-28-2004, 11:31 AM #89
elbowmaster
ELBOW{M}E{M}BER

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Harris:
Elbowmaster
Looking forward to it.

Sniper in the Ruins
I thank you for your ” thank you’s”. Fall 1984… That was very soon after the games were released. FYI, I managed to get the very first game of Axis & Allies off the assembly line. I had the box signed and dated by the project engineer. I did the same thing for Conquest of the Empire and Broadsides and Boarding Parties. Needless to say - These are prized possessions.

It’s Larry or Harris not Larris. You are an esteemed member in the Axis and Allies communities? Congratulations! You are welcome and as for money being so good, I’m writing to you today from the Caribbean. Shark! Shark! Shark!

OMG COW that was great!!!

amazing history on this game, really kewl of larry and AH to have this forum!! thanks!!

would be an axis and allies dream come true to exchange signed boards with larry harris!!

-cheers, hope your having some fun in the sun, and have a margaritaville for me!!

-elbowmaster

elbowmaster
View Public Profile

02-28-2004, 02:58 PM #90
CommanderofWar

Hey Larry, here is a question a lot of members are having a debate with.

I believe or I know I am right that the dynamics of the attack/defense ratio are set up for a Tech style game rather a no tech. (IN the original Axis and Allies even with a bid)

TEch is known as the equalizer for the Axis because Japan has the most potential increase in unit production from Industrial Technology.

Even for RR or NO RR, this happpened.

The highest rated players almost often played the allies.

Even with RR, the bids go up to 12-15 and at that point leads a Placement Europe or Power Europe style game.

In a no RR game, the bids went between 15-20, which I still give the advantage to the allies. Only the dreaded 7 inf in Ukraine would give Axis the Advantage.

Will the new game be more balanced or will bid be needed to satisify?

I am an Online player who uses the Hasbro CD and I find Unit Lock to be a problem detrimental to styles of play.

What happens is when you have a conservative Axis player who doesnt try a manuever to rid the allies from Karelia, then you get an Axis player who just drags the game on and on to the point of unit lock.

This is why no tech games do not make very fun games on the Hasbro CD between expert players.

Will the new game be more balanced for no tech?

Also, how do you feel regarding no tech games in the MB Axis and Allies.

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:07 pm

03-01-2004, 10:07 AM #91
Larry Harris

Elbowmaster
Thanks elbow… My I call you elbow?

No… the attack/defense ratio’s are not set up for tech style games. The tech’s were designed around the attack/defense ratio’s of the games’ units. So it’s just the opposite that's true.

You ask: Will the new game be more balanced or will bid be needed to satisfy…
I hope it’s more balanced. We tried to make it more balanced. I’m sure that it is not completely balanced. Other than bidding – I don’t know how you can make it completely balanced. If you have some ideas on how to make the game completely balanced I’d love to hear them. But remember the game must still look and feel like World War II and not checkers.

I, personally, prefer no tech games. I originally put Weapons Development into the game because it reflected some undeniable realities of the war. That time period was full of great leaps in technology. It ranged from advances in Radar to the development of the atomic bomb. The scope of Axis & Allies certainly had to include the aspects of technology that played such a big role in the out come of the war. Still I’d rather play a game with out using Weapon Development – That’s just me… I never do it unless forced to by the other player rolling up Weapons Developments of his own. I often request, at the beginning of the game, that we not play with Weapons Development this game. If everyone is in agreement than we skip it altogether.

Thanks for your questions.

[ March 01, 2004, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Larry Harris ]

Larry Harris
View Public Profile

03-03-2004, 02:26 PM #92
elbowmaster
ELBOW{M}E{M}BER

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Harris:
Elbowmaster
Thanks elbow… My I call you elbow?

you most certainly may, mr harris

im honored..!! thank you...

should be done with the topographic map of your new game shortly...will post if your interested...

-cheers

-elbowmaster

elbowmaster
View Public Profile

03-03-2004, 08:09 PM #93
Der Panzinator
Cartographic Reticulator

Larry,

First of all I think its great that you show such a great deal of respect to all of your customers and go out of your way to individually address people's questions and to maintain such a "down to earth" attitude.

You are truly a class act.

The new game is great! I plan on picking it up tommorrow as soon as it hits the shelves at my local game shop.
Actually I'll probably get two copies. One for me and one for my three year old who always wants me to get the game out so he can play. He actually will sit and set up the pieces all over the board and is very meticulous about it. Never loses any pieces and actually matches up some of the colors and flags. I'd say he's quite the chip off the old block. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I understand that you actually designed most of the game maps including the Europe board. I've been redesigning the Europe board and have been working on a huge world map called Supreme Command.
I've always been curious what you or any of the other designers at AH have thought of what I've been doing. In case you have not run across any of this here is a link to my website so you'll know what I'm talking about:
Axisdomain.0catch.com

If you have a moment, please take a look and let me know what you think. Your opinion is worth a great deal to me. If its true that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then consider yourself truly flattered.

p.s.
Here is also a link to the new map that I've made a copy from the small graphic thats posted on the last preview article. I made it as a non-copyright protected version for a Play by Email module I'm designing:
http://axisdomain.0catch.com/AArevisedMap.gif

This will shortly become a Mapview module as soon as I pick up my game copy tommorrow and get a look at the setup.
Perhaps you'd like to try out a game???
You'd be the first person do a PBEM using the new game....
Not to worry. I'm not very good player. I spend too much time designing then actually playing.

Der Panzinator
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Der Panzinator
Visit Der Panzinator's homepage!
Find More Posts by Der Panzinator
Add Der Panzinator to Your Buddy List

03-04-2004, 05:16 AM #94
Mike Selinker

Quote:
I understand that you actually designed most of the game maps including the Europe board.

Y'all should know this about Larry Harris: He's an excellent PhotoShop designer. When I showed around his initial map (it was 46x33, elbowmaster), the cartographers all said, "Who did this?" They weren't necessarily saying it was up to their caliber, but it was vastly above mine and the rest of my fellow designers.

Mike

Mike Selinker
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Mike Selinker
Find More Posts by Mike Selinker
Add Mike Selinker to Your Buddy List

03-04-2004, 11:48 AM #95
elbowmaster
ELBOW{M}E{M}BER

Quote:
If its true that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then consider yourself truly flattered.

nicely said der panzinator !!

Quote:
Y'all should know this about Larry Harris: He's an excellent PhotoShop designer. When I showed around his initial map (it was 46x33, elbowmaster), the cartographers all said, "Who did this?" They weren't necessarily saying it was up to their caliber, but it was vastly above mine and the rest of my fellow designers.

very kewl...thanks mike...!!

this has been an extreamly satisfying experience being a part of the discussions here...

i may not agree with everything, but hey, if everyone did, we wouldnt have WW2 (im not a fan of war, but have great human interest of how people can be inspired to create war), and wouldnt have axis and allies games to play...

hats off guys!! keep em coming...

im hoping for a guadal canal or midway version of aa someday!!

-cheers

-elbowmaster

elbowmaster
View Public Profile

03-05-2004, 04:57 AM #96
smo63
Touranment GM

Just getting back into the online reports, thanks for the vote of confidence Larry and Chris.

Larry, to answer your question regarding this year’s tournament at GEN CON, the New Mega Tournament Championship will be 3rd Edition. The Master Invitation will still be 2nd Edition but this will be its last year. Next year we will move it to 3rd. I will have a smaller classic 2nd Edition tourney on Thursday. The complete schedule of events will be posted soon on my web site and be submitted to GEN CON. There will be team tournaments for Europe, Pacific, D-Day, 2nd Edition, 3rd Edition and the Masters with many really cool prizes for each as well as the surprise for the NEW 3rd Edition Championships! Great to hear from you guys...until next time. [img]smile.gif[/img]

smo63
View Public Profile
Send a private message to smo63
Send email to smo63
Visit smo63's homepage!
Find More Posts by smo63
Add smo63 to Your Buddy List

03-05-2004, 09:18 AM #97
Rogue Warrior

I was reading about the Nova Games edition, and I recall that Gary Stagliano of Father's & Sons Hobby Shop had unused, shrinkwrapped copies for sale as late as 2003. He also had the French/Chinese counters expansion sheets...

Unfortunately, I just found out he died in April of 2003 of an unexpected heart attack... He will be missed by all who knew him and where unaware of his passing.

Rogue Warrior
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Rogue Warrior
Find More Posts by Rogue Warrior
Add Rogue Warrior to Your Buddy List

03-07-2004, 11:49 AM #98
Larry Harris

Der Panzinator
My pleasure Der Panzinator… Your 3 year old? Do you know there is a warning label on the back of the box saying not for 3 or younger? It sounds like your three year old is a bit exceptional however. I love meticulous three year olds. I have actually seen that and understand what you’re talking about. lol

I have designed all the maps and rules for that matter. Changes are often made in the development phases and of course the art departments always incorporates their own professional talents that usually turn the box art and map into coordinated works of art.

I think the maps you are doing look good. I like the way you divided the territories up. There are a lot more but you did not make the mistake of doing too many. Often people doing this sort of thing make far too many territories. I’m not sure if what you are doing is completely legal. I do see and appreciate how your efforts may generate continuous interest in Axis & Allies however. I think the PBEM stuff you did has only given additional pleasure to many. Very nice work.

elbow
Me too….

GSmorey63
Have you been in touch with anyone at AH? Are you getting any support from them? I can give you contact names if you need them. I can also introduce you if need be. Good to hear from you. With all these A&A games out there now, this is turning into a rather complicated endeavor.

Rogue Warrior
You reputation precedes you.
Thank you for your input about Mr. Stagliano

Larry Harris
View Public Profile

03-07-2004, 02:28 PM #99
Der Panzinator
Cartographic Reticulator

Larry,

Thanks for replying to my post. Glad that you appreciate the balance of territories that I managed to achieve with the Euope map. Of course I had a great base to start with.

Quote:
I’m not sure if what you are doing is completely legal.

Well, thats my biggest concern of course. I am not making any money off the Advanced Europe game and offer it totally free for anyone who already owns the Avalon Hill Axis & Allies Europe game already.

The Supreme Command game will likely be different since it is an original work. But I don't have any plans on making money from that one either. These are things I do mainly for my own enjoyment and then offer them to others if they are interested.
Perhaps someday I'll have made enough free games that I may be interested in making a bit of money from my hobby.

If you hear any grumblings from the Avalon Hill legal department please let me know. I want to make sure that what I'm doing is not going to cause me any trouble.

On the other hand, if Avalon Hill is interested in ever making a revised edition of A&A Europe then I'd be happy to let you guys use my modified map and rules. I think you could sell it as an expansion with an updated mapboard and rules with maybe a new fortification unit that will be available with the new D-Day game anyway. It could be packaged in a small box and sold for about $19.95 or so.
Just a suggestion. I would not even really expect to make much of anything from it since it is based on AH original design work.
As a extra bonus there would be a lot of playtesting since this game is already capable of PBEM and is constantly being updated and fixed.

Thanks again for your time Larry. It is a real pleasure to hear from someone who has done so much for the gaming community.

Der Panzinator
View Public Profile

03-07-2004, 08:09 PM #100
elbowmaster
ELBOW{M}E{M}BER

mr harris, what a great puzzle !!

so ive opened up my new game, analyzed the rules and reference cards, set it up, and my 1st reaction is...

revised map

poor axis ...and scramble to read the axis optional rules again...

weve decided to go no option game for the 1st go round...

wish us luck !!

i think there is much to be learned this go round, kinda a rough start, but im confident wizards AH, will do us right.

maybe from now on we can use upgrade or expansion in new titles, maybe even have the tech units made for upgrades (ie rockets, country specific jets, stuff like that), that would make our games look sharp...looking forward to the "fortress" unit in d-day, and am planning on buying that game as well...wizards has great games like magic, so i know what can happen...regardless of this round, im a forgiving fan...

will post about game, stay tuned...!!

-cheers

-elbowmaster

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:07 pm

03-08-2004, 05:49 AM #101
Der Panzinator
Cartographic Reticulator

elbowmaster,

Man those are great tanks!

I'm assuming you hand painted them. Just out of curiosity where did you get them?

Very shagadelic map baby....yeah...

Larry,

Avalon Hill should really consider making collector's item games. Even Monopoly has it's really expensive version with extra high quality pieces and such.
Wouldn't it be great to have the collector's edition of Axis & Allies that would have an extra large board and highly detailed painted pieces?
Plus it would have to signed by the designer as well....

Just a thought.

Der Panzinator
View Public Profile

03-08-2004, 09:15 AM #102
elbowmaster
ELBOW{M}E{M}BER

hey dp,

yes they are GHQ...IMO the best...

yes the larger map is shag !! thank you my digital counterpart !!

yes a collectors set would be fun, containing all the tech pieces...superfortress, rockets, me262, fast carriers...etc...i would buy that...even in booster pack form...lord knows i spent enough on MAGIC...

-cheers

-elbowmaster

elbowmaster
View Public Profile

03-18-2004, 12:20 AM #103
Da Black Gobo
General Chaos

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio. Where Pigs fly, but turkeys don't!

Hello, Larry and the rest of the great folks here in this forum. Big fan of many of your games, CotE is still my favorite, but I freely admit I changed the combat rules for my gaming taste. But really I'd just like to say, I'm impressed with all the wonderful creativity show by the talented folks here!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm still struggling with a ancient chinese game based on the 3 kingdoms legends and history. I have always thought this subject could be a hit. Seems to be so for the kids on their console games, so why not a boardgame for the old man!

Well anyway glad to have you on board!, and to the rest of the gang, you guys Rock!

Sean MacDaniel Swart (USArmy retired DAV)

Da Black Gobo
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Da Black Gobo
Send email to Da Black Gobo
Find More Posts by Da Black Gobo
Add Da Black Gobo to Your Buddy List

03-18-2004, 01:08 AM #104
The Fool

Sean,

I have actually designed a game based on the 3 kingdoms just for fun.

Maybe we can share our ideas together to refine the game. Leave me your e-mail if you interested.

Fool

The Fool
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by The Fool
Add The Fool to Your Buddy List

03-18-2004, 01:41 AM #105
gravy44

Greetings to Larry and Mike:

I'm new to these boards and am amazed that we "the fans of A&A" can actually talk to the creators of the games online. I just want to thank Larry and Mike for their hard work over the years in creating masterpieces. Both A&A Europe and Pacific have given me and a few buddies hours upon hours of enjoyment-not to mention a few beers as well. I just want to say that these games are brilliant in terms of strategy and yet wery playable and simple. I think some of the gammers that are complaing about maps and balance are getting too complicated. The games are long as it is, by adding more territories and tech and optional rules, will only create too much complexity and will therefore take away from just playing. I love the games the way they are and look forward to playing the revised version which I just got. Pacific rocks-my buddy and I can't get enough of it right now-its an amazing game! and I love the map. Larry, my only complaint with the revised version was for a larger map, especially in the Atlantic and portions of Europe. Larry, you are the man! Thank you.

gravy44
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by gravy44
Add gravy44 to Your Buddy List

03-18-2004, 05:11 AM #106
smo63
Touranment GM

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the response and the concern. Ever since you got involved a few years back, we have not had any problems. AH/Wizards have stepped in with excellent support. I have been in touch with new players at Wizards almost every year but we always work something great out. This year is no exception. With the advent of the two new games, we will be having an onslaught of tournaments as I mentioned in my earlier message.

GEN CON will be crazy but certainly exciting to see how everything shakes out. Thanks again for all your support and help over the years. And yes, with all these A&A games out, this is turning into a rather complicated endeavor but an enjoyable one. I would love to chat regarding the upcoming season...until then.

Gregory J. Smorey
Axis & Allies Tournaments, GEN CON Indy

smo63
View Public Profile
Send email to smo63
Visit smo63's homepage!
Find More Posts by smo63

03-18-2004, 09:32 AM #107
elbowmaster
ELBOW{M}E{M}BER

bump!!

dont miss out on saying hello to the creator of axis and allies!!

-cheers

-elbowmaster

elbowmaster
View Public Profile

03-18-2004, 03:42 PM #108
Sinister

Larry,

I just wanted to share with you a couple of stories on how great your game is. Back in 92 when I was a junior in high school we discovered your game in the very back of a friend's closet. By the following friday we had so many people hooked we needed a second board. Over the summer of my junior year we played EVERY single day, getting up by 10:30 we would make phone calls until we had 5 (or 10) players. We always had enough for a least one board.

Then we would play at noon and and then it was usually followed by a keger that night. I can still remember the druken shouts of "I told you to buy more infantry dammit. Now don't screw up again! Mother Russia is at stake. Jesus! you buy planes? Why not just buy a battleship and put us out of our misery." At one point I remember someone getting so mad (and wasted) he threw the board at his partner from that afternoon. There was a long silence as he knew he had disrespected the game. All the players at the party put the smack down on him. You were always free to critize but never disrespect the game....

There were endless phone calls and secret meetings about strategy. People brought the flags of the countries they were playing, pictures of generals, one guy dressed up like MacArthur. Looking back it was all very dumb and sophmoric but amazingly fun.

Anyway that summer, and the college tournaments I competed in our some of my favorite memories. Thanks for a fantastic game!!!!!

Sinister
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Sinister
Send email to Sinister
Find More Posts by Sinister
Add Sinister to Your Buddy List

03-19-2004, 03:57 AM #109
Talonz

haha! Thats hilarious!

Talonz
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Talonz
Add Talonz to Your Buddy List

03-19-2004, 06:12 AM #110
Caractacus

Hi, everyone! I first played A&A at university in about 1992, and ever since then I have been fascinated by it.

Thanks to Larry and Mike for work done/being done/yet to come - you have created not just a game but a customisable system that means that more people can be more happy more of the time. Excellent!

P.S. I haven't checked, but has Northern Ireland returned from its AAE obliteration under the roundel? It should be worth at least 1 IPC and the docks at Belfast were frequent targets for the Luftwaffe. (And BTW, thanks to the Rep. of Ireland firemen who often crossed the border to help fight the fires thus caused...).

I'm dying to see how the revision of the Conquest of the Empire game turns out too...

P:S: Der Panzinator: I'm fascinated with your Supreme Command map - but I can't understand why the Sahara (principally, but not only) is not impassable. I hate the 'motor my tanks to S.Africa' tactic...

[ March 19, 2004, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Caractacus ]

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:08 pm

03-19-2004, 10:14 AM #111
Larry Harris

Der Panzinator
DP don’t worry about Avalon Hill’s legal department. You keep doing what you’re doing. It seems to me that your activities only promote and expand the Axis & Allies franchise. More importantly, you’re having a good time doing it.

You talk about doing a collectors game…Who knows. I don’t know that it could look as good as elbow’s homemade version but I think that’s a good idea. I can tell you that there are no plans for such an item at this time. Maybe I should reword that. “I can neither confirm nor deny Avalon Hill’s intent to develop a collectors version of Axis & Allies”.

elbowmaster
Elbow, how you doing? That’s some collection of beautiful maps and pieces you put together.

You say you are a forgiving fan. It would be my hope that you don’t have that much to forgive. Wizards is in the process of identifying problem areas. How these problems are going to be dealt with is under discussion. Know this - at no time was anyone trying to cut corners. At all times only the best of intentions were in mind. Errors occur. What’s done about the errors is what’s important. I feel that I must add that EVERYTHING takes time and money, so be patient. And then let me add that not everything will necessarily be changed or corrected as each individual might want. And yes, that includes you Elbow.

GROGnads
Cut out all the introduction stuff… I know you. You’re talking to the wrong guy. I deal exclusively in the realm of my own creations. I might add, least there be confusion, I don’t work for Avalon Hill.

Sean MacDaniel Swart
Thank you for your kind comments. Yes indeed, CotE is one of my favorites too. Oh and by the way – Let me thank you for helping to keep this country free and safe. As a DAV my heart and repect go out to you.

gravy44
You’re the man - thank you.

GSmorey63
Thanks Greg… again if there is anything I can help you with let me know. This past week I had the opportunity to meet some of the key people at Avalon Hill. All I can say is that if my experience with them is any indication, then you can rest easy with the knowledge that they are really great folks

Sinister
I was moved by your story. Thank you for sharing it with me. It meant a lot to me.
As I was reading it I felt like I was there. I’m so honored to have served you in the realm of “favorite memories”.

Caractacus
Customisable system – that’s an interesting way of looking at the it. Thanks for you insights into the docks of Belfast. I did not know that. Conquest of the Empire should be out next year and I too am looking forward to its release.

Larry Harris
View Public Profile

03-19-2004, 10:27 AM #112
seer

I can remember playing the game in 1985. I was twelve at the time and playing with my best friend (1 year old than me) and my younger brother (3 eyars younger than me).

We had just finished playing and put the pieces back in the trays. We had not put everything back in the box yet, but were just sitting around after discussing what do next. After a lengthened silence, my brother picked up the battle board and threw it tomahawk style across the room. It flew spinning across the room and took about a 30% turn, hitting my friend right in the eye. My friend grabbed his eye and we all turned towards my brother, stunned by his action. After about 3 seconds it was obvious that my friend wasn't too badly hurt. At this point, everyone knew what was coming next. And you could see the expression change on my brother's face as he realized my friend was sitting between him and the door out of the room. So my brother desparate to avoid retaliation, took his last chance. He yelled out, "It wasn't me!"

Too bad for him it didn't work.

[ March 19, 2004, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Martin ]

seer
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by seer
Add seer to Your Buddy List

03-19-2004, 10:37 AM #113
Der Panzinator
Cartographic Reticulator

From Larry:

Quote:
You talk about doing a collectors game…Who knows. I don’t know that it could look as good as elbow’s homemade version but I think that’s a good idea. I can tell you that there are no plans for such an item at this time. Maybe I should reword that. “I can neither confirm nor deny Avalon Hill’s intent to develop a collectors version of Axis & Allies”.

hehehe....

I seem to recall this was the line that Steve Winter used right before Mike started posting his articles for the new game....

And here's a link to the thread:
http://boards.avalonhill.com/cgi-bin...c;f=1;t=000075

Der Panzinator
View Public Profile

03-19-2004, 01:47 PM #114
Drax Kramer

When I read about the fond memories many of us have I wonder whether I am the only player here who played the game with my friends during the actual air raid warning.

One night when two of us were walking down the street after the game, we were stopped by the police patrol (the lights were out because of a threat of air raids) and questioned about that large packet we held. When policemen saw the familiar face of Rommel staring at them from the cover box of the game, they smiled upon us and let us go.

Drax

Drax Kramer
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Drax Kramer
Send email to Drax Kramer
Find More Posts by Drax Kramer
Add Drax Kramer to Your Buddy List

03-21-2004, 09:29 AM #115
Darksideknight

Larry, great job! You did it again, I have to relearn the game however and my freinds about had a stroke when they saw the British colored troops. The feel of the game is quite different than the old version and it feels wide open. The 3/3 tanks I am still not sure about those. Germany can build quite a few in the early stages in the game. The changes to the map board were very pleasing as far as nuetrals and most sea zones. The dark ocean I am still copeing with, but the Russian front is excellent! Very unpredictable in the first few rounds. I am getting my ass handed to me as the allies in the first game I am playing, still some hope but my opponent has about 20 German tanks headed for Moscow while the Yellow..errr burnt Orange menace is quickly building up a bevy of tanks in china to roll me up from behind. Axis look pretty strong but I did have some bad early rolls and failed to end to Germany's misson of controling most of africa. Great game Larry can't wait for D-Day!

Oh have you played with one of the games from the factory yet? If not give it a try then maybe you would help our grips be heard by AH. You know not enough chips, peices, tray, ETC...Take away those annoyances and you have made another terriffic game.

Thanks -Jason

Darksideknight
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Darksideknight
Visit Darksideknight's homepage!
Find More Posts by Darksideknight
Add Darksideknight to Your Buddy List

03-21-2004, 04:15 PM #116
Krieghund
A&A Boardgame Answer Guy

Larry,

I was just reading back through this thread, and I realized that I never addressed a comment directly to you (thought I had ).

Please accept my belated congratulations on this new project, and my appreciation for the many hours of enjoyment that your efforts have brought to me and my friends over the past 18 years.

We are really looking forward to the new Conquest of the Empire as well.

Krieghund
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Krieghund
Send email to Krieghund
Find More Posts by Krieghund
Add Krieghund to Your Buddy List

03-25-2004, 09:26 AM #117
Larry Harris

Martin
LOL – you brother was 9 right? That’s why the suggested ages on the box is 12 to adult. You know it’s all fun and games until somebody gets an eye knocked out.

Der Panzinator
I can tell you there are no such plans at this time.

Drazen Kramaric
You are probably not the only player to play Axis & Allies during a actual air raid warning. I have seen photo’s of US troops playing the game in the deserts of Iraq. This was just before the big push North apparently.

I’m fascinated by your story… The fact that Rommel was staring at them from the cover of the box… was that a good or bad thing? Well it made them smile and you are still here to post on the board. So I can only conclude that it was a good thing. Take care Drazen.

Darksideknight
You know, there is nothing quite as subjective as colors. But there seems to be a unanimous consensus that there’s something “stroke’ provoking about the British colored troops. Loved you detailed recap. Thanks for purchasing and playing the game. I think you’ll like D-Day.

I have been on top of the chip and pieces count issue. Believe me emails have been exchanged.

Krieghund
I was wondering if you were every going to post something. So all this time you thought you had but only recently realized that you had in fact not done so. Well that explains a lot. (just joking with you).

I do accept you belated congratulations on this new project. Nothing gives me more pleasure than the ability to design something that is enjoyed and appreciated by so many. It is very satisfying and fulfilling to me. Thank you for supporting the game for so many years.

May I suggest you give A&A D-Day a try when it comes out (next May). It has a different feel than that of the other A&A games but somehow it is very satisfying and just fun to play. It also is a very effective way to introduce new players into the realm of wargames. That does not mean that the game is an introductory game and lacks depth. No it’s got plenty of depth. There is simply less to have to master before you can actually begin to play.

Conquest of the Empire is due out next year. I too am looking forward to seeing that old war horse being re-released.

GROGnads
What can I tell you? You don’t ask any questions that I can answer here but I can tell you this… It’s a trip reading your post.

Larry Harris
View Public Profile

03-25-2004, 01:03 PM #118
Anzio

Greetings, Mr. Harris.

Steve Wood here from Strafing Run Games. Just wanted to finally throw in my greetings to you and my compliments on your game.

My company produces all kinds of accessories for A&A with many more on the way this year. I am not sure if it is acceptable to post a link to my store, but I would really like to know what you think of my line. In any event here it is:

stores.andale.com/strafezone

We are currently in the process of rebuilding the business from the ground up, so we are NOT taking orders at this time. I just wanted to introduce myself and get an opinion of my work from one from one of my greatest role models!

Hope to talk to you via this medium in the coming days.

Thanks for changing my life and providing me with the opportunity to make a little money doing something I truly love!

Steve
SRG

PS - SRG Customers: Please do not use this forum as a means to contact me. Any inquiries may be made at Heavybombers@aol.com - Thanks!

[ March 26, 2004, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: Moderator John ]

Anzio
View Public Profile
Visit Anzio's homepage!
Find More Posts by Anzio
Add Anzio to Your Buddy List

03-25-2004, 01:35 PM #119
elbowmaster
ELBOW{M}E{M}BER

from mr harris

Quote:
Elbow, how you doing?

i am having a great time being a part of all this...thank you so much for you comments, and taking the time to check out some of my ideas...

i absolutely realize that not all of my requests will be put into production, but just the thought of having you, mike, and the rest of this great community checking out and commenting on what i bring to the table has totally changed my life...now, i get emails from even more people from around the world, im working on a custom project for someone in italy now...

im even planning on making it to a GENCON, just in hopes of personally meeting you, mike, and other AH staff, as well as all the fun people here at the forums...ive already made some new friends, thats what this is all about...

i really hope for a cd rom version again...nothing like gaming with people from all over the world on a consistant basis...i even hope you try online gaming with us sometime at the zone...

my hope is either giving you one of these revised maps, if i see you, i wont take no for an answer, or perhaps trading signed maps, not that my signature holds any history, it would truely be an honor...

cant wait for more of this series, i will get them all !!

-cheers mr harris, hats off !!

-elbowmaster

elbowmaster
View Public Profile

03-26-2004, 05:29 AM #120
Caractacus

Larry/Mike,

Sorry to bother you again, but I am fascinated by the possibility of chatting to someone in your position. I'm just curious about the new tank/armour units' increased defence value.

If I recall, the argument about value and strength revolved around Att Values, Def values, taking a Hit, and special abilities. I was curious that the movement rate was not brought up, at least in Mike's column. To me, this is the best thing about a tank - I would almost buy tanks at 5 IPCs even if they were Att2 Def 2, as long as they have mobement to match!

This is because of a) their ability to defend a huge area from the middle, b) their ability to reach (e.g.) the Russian Front in one turn, not two, and c) their ability to threaten several places at the same time, thus allowing you to choose the weakest one after your opponent's turn.

I was just a little worried (in advance - I don't have the game yet, so I know I'm talking out of turn here...) that it will make the purchasing of tanks a bit of a 'no-brainer' as you folk say over there. Is your experience that it hasn't increased armour purchase much?

Thanks!

(The reason I mentioned Conquest of the Empire, by the way, is that I am a Classical Historian by background - I got my M.Phil. in the barbarisation of the Late Roman Officer Class. I can't wait to get my hands on it...)

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:09 pm

03-29-2004, 07:22 AM #121
smo63
Touranment GM

Hi Steve (GetStrafed),

Just curious if you got my latest e-mail from you regarding the upcoming AA Spring Gathering in Cincy? I know last year you really wanted to make it but could not. I also see that you are going through some changes. Just wanted to touch base with you and see what the future holds.

Gregory J. Smorey
Axis & Allies Tournaments, GEN CON Indy

smo63
View Public Profile
Send email to smo63
Visit smo63's homepage!
Find More Posts by smo63

03-29-2004, 06:16 PM #122
Da Black Gobo
General Chaos

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio. Where Pigs fly, but turkeys don't!

Attn. GSmorey.

What is this A&A Cincy? I live in the Cincy area? Is it open to anyone?? Please contact me

shawnswart@fuse.net

Da Black Gobo
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Da Black Gobo
Send email to Da Black Gobo
Find More Posts by Da Black Gobo
Add Da Black Gobo to Your Buddy List

03-29-2004, 06:24 PM #123
cousin_joe
Barbarian

Hey Larry and Mike,

Great job with the Revised edition guys. I started a thread about the vulnerability of lone subs to airpower and would appreciate your comments about the possibility of bringing back the option to submerge on the Initial Attack Phase (as a 2nd printing rule change). It would seem with the changes to Destroyers (preventing sub submerge) and transports unloading in Sub Occupied SZ, that the substalling tactic is well addressed, and removing the Initial Attack Phase submerge option is harmful (to overall sub viability) and unnecessary. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on things... Is there something I'm missing?? Thanks kindly.

cousin_joe
View Public Profile
Send a private message to cousin_joe
Send email to cousin_joe
Find More Posts by cousin_joe
Add cousin_joe to Your Buddy List

03-29-2004, 06:26 PM #124
cousin_joe
Barbarian

Sorry, forgot the link to that thread

http://boards.avalonhill.com/cgi-bin...;f=10;t=000541

Thanks

cousin_joe
View Public Profile
Send email to cousin_joe

03-29-2004, 10:38 PM #125
cousin_joe
Barbarian

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your prompt reply. By the way, I really enjoyed reading your series of articles on the resons for the various changes with the new edition. It was a nice treat for us A&A fans, and thanks for taking the time to do that. With regards to planes vs. subs, I totally respect your desire to stay out of these discussions. I am glad to hear though that you have given some thought to the matter, as I do feel a sub-based strategy is not very viable under the current ruleset. Once again, thank you for helping to design the latest edition of this game, and for taking the time to respond on these boards. Thanks.

cousin_joe
View Public Profile
Send email to cousin_joe

03-30-2004, 09:48 AM #126
Mike Selinker

Quote:
I started a thread about the vulnerability of lone subs to airpower and would appreciate your comments about the possibility of bringing back the option to submerge on the Initial Attack Phase (as a 2nd printing rule change). It would seem with the changes to Destroyers (preventing sub submerge) and transports unloading in Sub Occupied SZ, that the substalling tactic is well addressed, and removing the Initial Attack Phase submerge option is harmful (to overall sub viability) and unnecessary. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on things... Is there something I'm missing?? Thanks kindly.

I generally stay out of these discussions, especially the polls. If I ever have an influence on a revised or advanced set of rules, I'll share my opinions then. I will say that I've given some thought to making subs less vulnerable to strafes, but giving subs the ability to submerge immediately is not the way I'd do it, at least not currently.

Mike

Mike Selinker
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Mike Selinker
Find More Posts by Mike Selinker
Add Mike Selinker to Your Buddy List

03-30-2004, 10:52 AM #127
Larry Harris

GetStrafed
Thank you. Thank you again. I have been following your company for a couple of years now. I find you items very cool and very creative. My compliments sir. It’s good to see young entrepreneurs are still out there. The things you provide only enhance the playing experience and contribute to the hobby. Keep on trucking..

elbowmaster
… and we’re having a great time hearing from you. You too have some great ideas. Now, with custom projects from Italy, you are world famous. Perhaps I’ll see you at GENCON. I’m not sure yet if I will be attending.

As for a CD ROM version … Who knows. Cheers to you Mr. elbow. P.S. I do hope you somehow come to appreciate A&A D-Day for what it is.

GROGnads
I certainly can’t speak for Eagle Games. Your indirect or should I say “very direct” innuendo that they only use 70% of the game map and the rest is only eye candy will certainly endear you to them.

Caractacus
Well people were buying 3/2 tanks for 20 years. The problem was that when you went deep into the math, you discovered that infantry was a better buy. I had trouble assigning a value to the tanks comparatively greater movement rate. I still think 5 IPC’s was a fair price but nonetheless if players were buying basically only infantry something had to give. Either lower the infantry to 1/1 or raise the armor to 3/3. A game with 1/1 infantry was just too boring an idea for me to entertain.

You have a Masters of Philosophy? I am continuously amazed by the caliber of people playing these games. (barbarization of the Late Roman Officer Class)

Larry Harris
View Public Profile

03-30-2004, 11:37 AM #128
elbowmaster
ELBOW{M}E{M}BER

Quote:
P.S. I do hope you somehow come to appreciate A&A D-Day for what it is.

hmmm...maybe i missed something, even went so far to "like" the d-day map !!

has to be a 1st for me!! perhaps was the comparison between breakout and d-day...just thought it was interesting and by no means a knock on your new game...sorry if it came out that way...AH made some great bookshelf games in its day...i hope midway makes it to your series...

i can see it now...larry harris running down the halls at GENCON... "Get that elbow guy away from me!!!!" as i trip and fall, all my maps all over the floor...

-cheers

-elbowmaster

elbowmaster
View Public Profile

03-30-2004, 05:30 PM #129
Larry Harris

GROGnads
There is something about you that I really like. I can't quite put my finger on it but there's something there.

Larry Harris
View Public Profile

03-30-2004, 05:52 PM #130
elbowmaster
ELBOW{M}E{M}BER

he is even better on the phone !!

-cheers

-elbowmaster

03-31-2004, 11:38 AM #131
Drax Kramer

Quote:
Originally posted by GROGnads:

Actually, I said that they 'wasted' 70% of the mapboard. I'll admit I'm not the first to make this observation nor do I expect to be the last. It's one of the well known 'flaws' of theirs that irks folks! I don't even own any of their games, but from what I've seen, I'm still undecided. The 'price is right' but the 'details are lacking' in lots of respects.

Perhaps, this isn't the most appropriate forum to advertise other companies' games, but as a proud owner of every single A&A game I consider myself authorised to reccomend you some of the EG's titles.

Try "Attack" and if you like it, try "Expansion". "Napoleon in Europe" should satisfy you as well. "American Civil War" shows the signs of being their first game but is good enough. If you want more, you may find me on Eagle Games forums on their site.

Drax