Pacific: Optional Way of Playing (posted by Sinister)

Apparently The Axis & Allies site over at Avalon Hill is going to be phased out soon. A new one will replace it. If you have something over there that you don’t want to be evaporated into thin air then cut and paste it, and bring it over here so that it is not lost forever.
Krieghund

Pacific: Optional Way of Playing (posted by Sinister)

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:34 pm

Posted by Sinister:

hey,

we started playing by lowering US money by $30 dollars a turn. Letting them lend lease 10-15 ipcs per turn to India and doing away with victory points. We play for victory cities too! Anyone try anything like this?
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:35 pm

Posted by Plasticman:

No, but its a good idea. It makes the game a little more fun to play (because its more realistic with Japan actually having to win and all!

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:36 pm

Posted by Sinister:

The biggest debate was not the IPCs (which surprised me)My group argues with the VCs. We haven't played a game yet with the same VCs.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:37 pm

Posted by Thrasher:

What VCs did you play with sofar?

thrasher,
http://axisandallies.TK

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:38 pm

Posted by Sinister:

Combination of the following(Don't have a map out, forgive the spelling):

Perth, Sydeny, Pearl, Signapore, Minllia, Bangkok,Hong Kong

Victory Islands: Sipain, Okinwa, Solomons, Iwo Jima, Carolines, Marshall, Wake, Papua, Mariana

Always: Calcutta, Melbourne, Tokyo, Los Angles.

The only rule changes:

1. US makes 25 for the mainland US not 55
2. The US can Lend Lease 12 IPCs a turn to either India or Australia.

We even went back to using the orginal force set up.

When picking victory cities, Japan picks 2 of its VCs, the allies pick one, the japan picks an allied VC, and the Allies pick a Japan VC, then it alternates again until there's 12 VC on the Board (The capitols are always VCs)

BTW, I should mention that since we started playing this way, nobody wants to switch back to the orginal Victory Points rules.

Well I think the orginal rule set is fine and dandy but I like the game feeling a bit more like war than japan land grabing and cashing out.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:39 pm

Posted by Scott_WAR:

Let me just say, thanks for the idea. We tried reducing USA by $30/turn. We also decided to make the victory conditions be that Japan take both India and Australia, to prevent the mad rush of all *** units to India. India is still Japans primary target, but the fact that it isnt the game means that it isnt as important for Allies to defend it at all costs, and it makes it so that Japan can actually do something besides bum rushing India, without giving up the game. The first problem is sub stalling, it completely changes the game, it was not meant to be a part of the game (as stated by the creators), it is a BS rule brought about by rules BS artists, because of the way the phases were written. They were written that way so the word "repeat" could be used, not because subs can submerge before attacking.So NO SUB STALLING. The 2nd problem we had is that India would get too strong if Japan didnt concentrate everything there, which is what we are trying to avoid. If Japan sends everything to India, by the time it is finished, USA will have a fleet that is too big for Japan to deal with. Here is where we made a radical change, that really seemed to fix that problem, without just giving India away. We changed all of china to an impassable territory. Consider all Chinese territories to be 1 big grey territory, that nobody can enter. No IC or aa gun. No little brown infantry. It was still a little too tough to take India before USA was too strong. So we lifted the IPC building rule. Any side can build an IC. That seemed to do it.We are going to play some more to get a feel for the average IPC income of the 2 sides ( Axis (japan) vs allies (UK and USA) once India has fallen and the battles for austalia start. The average income needs to be fairly even at this point. In our last game, once India was taken, there was a 12 point difference in IPC production, with USA/Australia having the advantage.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:42 pm

Posted by Krieghund:
Originally posted by Scott_WAR
The first problem is sub stalling, it completely changes the game, it was not meant to be a part of the game (as stated by the creators), it is a BS rule brought about by rules BS artists, because of the way the phases were written.
I have to disagree with you here, Scott. I don't like substalling, either, but without it the game (out of the box, even with the revised set-up) is impossible for the Allies to win.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:43 pm

Posted by Tordenskjold:

I agree...

I like substalling. Without substalling India falls in three or four.