Pacific: China a Player?? (posted by Frog)

Apparently The Axis & Allies site over at Avalon Hill is going to be phased out soon. A new one will replace it. If you have something over there that you don’t want to be evaporated into thin air then cut and paste it, and bring it over here so that it is not lost forever.
Krieghund

Pacific: China a Player?? (posted by Frog)

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:56 pm

Posted by Frog:

I've seen many ideas on how to make Italy a seperate player in AA revised.

Has there ever been any thought to making China a seperate player with real IPC's to buy, and units other than just Infantry in Pacific?

Sounds intriguing to me.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:58 pm

Posted by Holywolfman:

Well basically all you have to remember is, whatever IPC you decide to make it, it would have to add for a part of the Allies's IPC. (Ie: If you make it 10 ipc, you would have to take what the regions are worth (China, Sinkiang/ I believe 2 each)...then subtract 6 from USA's total to give China the 10 IPC!

Basically, you have to keep it relative to each other. (If you make it higher, then another player/ USA for instance would be more lower than original IPC rating)

I, on the other hand think China is to minor of a player to be involved and also, I felt the AXIS team needed another "turn" player to balance things out (IMHO) so We gave them Italy!

-Nick- :)

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:59 pm

Posted by Frog:

Holywolfman,

I think we're talking about China In AAP. Not AA revised.

Therefore , the US would not lose IPC in Pacific.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:00 pm

Posted by Krieghund:

I don't think you would need to rob the US of anything to beef China up a little, since Japan has a significant advantage in the game as it is.

While it is true that historically China did not have the resources to produce anything in much quantity other than infantry, China is too easy to push over in AAP. Giving the Japanese a little bit harder time in China would be both game-balancing and more historical.

One thing I would try is to make Chinese infantry cost 2 IPCs and and limit their attack capability somehow, since historically they were not well organized. Maybe attack on a 1 but roll for every other unit only or two out of three.

Just some random thoughts...

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:00 pm

Posted by Frog:

OK here's my thinking so far-

1) Turn American Fighter in China to a Chineese unit.
2) If China gets (3) troops each turn that equals 9 IPC. to make them somewhat stronger, 15 IPC's is a round figure that will make them able to buy something other than all Infantry.
3) Turn sequence, China-Japan-UK-USA

Question-

1) How to distribute the 15 IPC. If they are to easy for Japan to take then their VP's increase to quickly.

2) Should the connection of Burma Road be part of their IPC's. How much?

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:02 pm

Posted by Caractacus:

In our recent game, we had a Chinese player. We made Chinese Inf cost 2 IPCs, but they are only Att1 Def 1 Mve1.

I think China's IPC total was 5 (probably a holdover from the Chinese communist and KMT rules from Thrasher's site by tw250 or some such name). They also got 2 IPCs extra from the Burma Road. Thus 7 in all.

In our system they couldn't build tanks, but most people don't want to tweak and tweak at the rules, so let them build tanks if they like!

If you feel that the Chinese will be overrun too quickly, boost their infantry back to Def2 - though in fact they were appallingly badly equipped, trained and supplied. Still, you could say that it is balanced by the fact that there are so many replacement troops that they defend on a two.

For those of you that want China to be as PLAYABLE as the other countries, it's a problem. We use it for the player that has most to do elsewhere (the host for instance), is least experienced, is leaving early, or who relishes a challenge. You could still give it to the US player... or create a (rather feeble) Dutch East Indies player and combine the two... 8)

If you make China really playable and fun (more IPCs, ability to build tanks, frequent chance to do something aggressive) then you are really pushing the boundaries of histoty and game balance - Japan will HAVE to go into China seriously, if only to stop China strengthening to the point where the loss of Shantung and Manchuria is inevitable. Certainly, Australia and India will be delighted with a China that strong!

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:03 pm

Posted by Frog:

After some thought I agree China shouldn't be able to produce tanks, etc. It makes them to strong. However I have played by upping the infantry. They get 6 each turn instead of 3.

This seems to be working pretty well. Not much of an offensive strength, but much more of a pain for Japan to deal with. I also use the burma road as a two move spot. This takes away the India Crush idea.

It could be a seperate player, or still American.