Pacific: Victory Points (posted by Sinister)

Apparently The Axis & Allies site over at Avalon Hill is going to be phased out soon. A new one will replace it. If you have something over there that you don’t want to be evaporated into thin air then cut and paste it, and bring it over here so that it is not lost forever.
Krieghund

Pacific: Victory Points (posted by Sinister)

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:30 pm

Posted by Sinister:

When you are tired of the victory point system see my thread in house rules on my varient to do away with the VP system.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:32 pm

Posted by El Ravager:

With respect, I don't think the VP system is that bad. It just creates an artificial clock in the game, which makes careful planning of moves that much more important. Before trying house rules, I would make sure you really try the original game. Also, you may find that the game balance is in favor of Japan. Then try the corrected setup, that you can find somewhere on this site as well.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:33 pm

Posted by Sinister:

To each their own if that's the way you like it great! It does make for some quick games.

Personally don't like the clock, and I don't like making strategy decisions based in quick VP grabing as Japan. The game seems to be about taking as much as you can and cashing out before the US gets you. When those elements are removed the game runs a little more like the other A&A games.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:35 pm

Posted by Krieghund:

I tend to agree with El Rav in that I don't mind the "clock" aspect so much because it reflects the historical realities. Japan knew she had absolutely no chance of winning the war, so her objective was to make the war as painful as possible for the US and basically make the US "settle" because it wasn't worth the cost for victory. In the game, this makes for a different and interesting kind of strategy. This plus some cool new game mechanics makes Pacific different from the other A&A games, which I think is a good thing - that's part of why I like it. Why play yet another game that's more of the same?

However, I also agree with Sinister in that the "Grab and Squat" strategy (as I like to call it) does tend to get boring. This, coupled with the fact that even with the corrected set-up Japan still has a huge advantage, caused me to make my own house rules to make the game have more varied playouts.

BTW, you will find after playing a bit that a goal of 24 VP for Japan will make the game more balanced, once you figure out the optimal strategy for Japan. That's the simplest rule change for balance.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:36 pm

Posted by Sinister:

Historically the premise for the clock aspect starts out fine. I can't argue that japan actually thought they were going to win a protracted war. On the other hand, this game is historical innacurate when the US all the sudden "gives up" because japan has taken to much land. This game doesn't reflect the true historic nature of American resolve OR Japanese Reslove for that matter. It gets the first couple of years right and then ends in some sort of weird truce. Well that might have happend if the Japanese hadn't bombed Peral...but they did.

Chester Nimiztz from the pacific game...

"Well crap! Look's like the japanese just took their 6th lsland, better call of the war. They win. Dang! we just bought all these carriers too. Oh well rules are rules!"

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:38 pm

Posted by JimM:

This post has me really thinking of "how" I should/will play the game. For the first few games, I will be playing by the AH rule set. Then, for fun, I will give Sinisters rules a try. This will allow me a different outlook on the game. As for the game being totally historic, well... this doesn't really bother me, as it is just a game in my way of looking. Plus, the real war took 4 years, and I won't play a game that takes that long . I think the games intention was to have a specific "time period" and when/if the Japs are ahead, they win. If the Allies has taken the Japan or reduced the VP, the Allies wins. Nothing more or less. I mean if the game was historical, then the US would win every game.... Who wants to play the Japan side if it is going to lose every game... (historically speaking)? :D Not me.... I just need more time to play the game to get used to all the rules anyway... Playing SOLO is ok, but you can't help but favor one side or the other when you play, no matter how hard I try. Besides A&A Pacific, I also own A&A 1991 ED., Fortress America, Battle Cry, A&A D-Day, and I have A&A Europe coming any day now. I have heard good and bad for each game. I thank you guys for trying to help a new player to try to get the most out of these games! :)

Jim

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:39 pm

Posted by Sinister:

Yeah Jim,

Try it both ways. Make sure you are using the revised set-up though, for the out of the box rules.

Game On!

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:40 pm

Posted by JimM:

I thought that the "revised" rules were only if you thought that Japan was winning too much. I didn't realize that they were to "replace" the original setup. Am I wrong? or is there another setup somewhere else.

Here is what the FAQs say:

Setup

Experienced players sometimes find that it's too easy for Japan to win. (Beginning players often decide that it's too hard for Japan to win -- it's all a matter of learning the strategy.) If Japan is winning too often, make the following changes to the setup listed on the Japanese Reference Chart:

French Indochina receives 2 infantry, not 4;
Hainan receives 6 infantry, not 4;
Sea zone 37 receives 1 transport, not 2;
The Mariana Islands receive 0 fighters, not 1;
Sea zone 20 receives 0 subs, not 1;
Sea zone 22 receives 1 sub, not 0.

Jim