I ate the whole thing...

Apparently The Axis & Allies site over at Avalon Hill is going to be phased out soon. A new one will replace it. If you have something over there that you don’t want to be evaporated into thin air then cut and paste it, and bring it over here so that it is not lost forever.
pellulo

I ate the whole thing...

Post by pellulo » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:42 pm

would like to wonder, if the whole "old AH" can just be saved, or, is it a copyright type problem ?, thanks, Pellulo
P.S. To remember what it looked like.
Last edited by pellulo on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pellulo

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:25 pm

This makes no sence. Thanks pellulo... :o
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Krieghund

Re: I ate the whole thing...

Post by Krieghund » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:23 am

pellulo wrote:would like to wonder, if the whole "old AH" can just be saved, or, is it a copyright type problem ?, thanks, Pellulo
There are probably two problems involved in this. The first is finding someone willing to host it on their server and maintain it. The second is getting AH to release it to them.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

pellulo

My favorite subject...

Post by pellulo » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:12 pm

...cannot save the whole thing, so something for the time capusle, enjoy, Pellulo,

Is it true that Axis and Allies people (whoever owes them this month) are putting out a version of World War One? What would it be called?(The Great War, or, Entent Vrs. Central Powers, it coulden't start in spring 1917 for USA entry, you miss too much action for 1914 to 1916), &, would it have a full world map? (since most of the action happened in Europe, Mid-East & Africa,only minor action by Japan in Asia). Unless you plan to have German Raiders/Q ships prowling the Pacific and Indian Oceans, and U-boats in the N. Atlantic.

As for the pieces, it would be nice to start a game with Imperial Germany having a large fleet including subs, for all powers aircraft not worth much till 1915(different kinds of fighters/scouts & bombers & Zeppelins), advance fighters for the second hafe of the war, and, tanks only introduced till 1917 or so after so many rounds of play, some Calvary units (Cossacks for the Russians, Horsemen in the Mid-East & Africa), barbed wire & trench symbols with machine guns, probably lots of cannon artillery units (small, medium, large), and, a few Verdun type Star Forts.

Also some kind of trooper representing colonial troopers, shock troops,etc. Along with some sort of secret weapons list, like better defensive for gas attacks etc. If the game is made in the style of A&A I'm one ready to buy, thanks, Pellulo

01-19-2003, 01:23 PM #2
The biggest probelm you get with doing WWI is that you need to come up with a system that allows you to get a feel for trench warfare. As the war progressed more and more extensive trenches and bunkers were made. You also see the introduction of tanks later in the war as well. I would love to see it but it would not be as straight forward as a Axis and Allies game.
netminder25

01-21-2003, 01:52 PM #3
pellulo
This game would have to be a bit different than basic A&A, cause you would have a set of parameters built in, first the ...Race to the Sea... would it always be lost by both sides?, if so, then both sides would always get basic trench setups. Then it is up to you, if you want to expand them (second line or third of trenches, more machine guns or big guns,etc.,or, built up your forces to attack the enemy trenches).

Also on the Eastern Front, it was not that trench loaded as the Western Front, so you have more movement allowed (maybe a large Russian Army strong in troops but with poor attack/leadership abilities), also optional for one to use with artillery ...Rolling Bombardments... with the use of specialty troops(flame throwers),or, later onto the game tanks (with the same movements as infantry, WWI tanks were quite slow, but they helped smashed the trench setup, along at some point the introduction of USA manpower),or, gas attacks.

Also initially starting Germany with an aggressive submarine policy, largest army on the board, and, the use of the British native Arab troopers/horsemen for the Mid-East a la Lawerance, might add some flair to the Game (the Germans can have their Colonial troops in East Africa). Let us face it, the game does have to have some things in common (especially the money credits, but, as many not in common concepts with the basic Axis and Allies setup).

In 07 years it will be the century mark for The Great War, it would be nice to have a great game out by then. Thanks Pellulo

01-22-2003, 08:23 AM #4
The Rat King
Your idea sounds cool, but it would probably be too complicated for the average A&A gamer. The beauty of A&A is that the special rules are kept to a minimum so that people can learn the rules and play in a single evening.
The Rat King

01-22-2003, 01:03 PM #5
netminder25
Why couldn't you take the approach of Eagle Games.

You could introduce simple rules that give a flavor for the game and you would be able to play rather quickly. As it progresses you add more components.

For WWI you have a naval aspect that can be handled like in Axis and Allies and simple land combat. As the player progress you can add historical elements like gas attacks, snipers and the late appearence of tanks.

Addressing the two contrasting styles of fighting with the Western and Eastern front would be interesting. Just some thoughts....

Jack
netminder25

01-23-2003, 08:33 AM #6
pellulo
Sounds like a good ideal, another approach would be to take it to the Cry Battle concept, with a basic board and cardboard/plastic props to change, to the the layout of let us say 15 major WW1 battles/setups. The other side of the board can be waters of the N. Atlantic to recreate the Battle of Jutland where the Royal Fleet met the Imperial Fleet (with the props for U-boat/Surface Raiders,etc.).

The game would be rich in plastic 3-D props/units, and, the cardboard props can include 1st & 2nd &3rd line of barbed wire defensive, different type of no-mans land, "Verdun" type forts,etc. The Battles themselves can start from The Race to the Sea, The Russian Offensive near a certain Forest, the First Entente (the Allies) or German Offensive on the Western Front, the Allies Landing in Turkey, Italy's Alpine offensive against Austria-Hungary, British/Indian Battles going up Mesopotamia and Baghdad, Britain's first Offensive with a new weapon codename "Tank", American Troops at Paris, all the way up to Germany's final Drive to take Paris in 1918, etc.

As you go up the battles list you start to introduce new weapons and strategies, e.g. massive artillery barrages, planes, poison gas, tanks, etc., thanks, Pellulo

01-23-2003, 11:24 AM #7
netminder25
I would have to agree with you there. A simple system that allows you to build the battle field and then enteract with it would be killer! It is like handing someone a miniatures battle in a box. Battle Cry got the ball rolling, maybe with a little more work and pieces it could all be 3D tangable terrrian.

Does Avalon Hill enlist people like us for gaming ideas?
netminder25

01-23-2003, 01:17 PM #8
The Rat King
Apparently Richard Borg has two new games using the Battle Cry play mechanic that he is trying to find a publisher for. One is set in the Napoleonic era and the other is set in the Roman era (I think). Maybe (if enough people are interested) we can get him to design a world war I game using the system.
The Rat King

01-23-2003, 01:47 PM #9
netminder25
I myself would love to bounce ideas off him. A WWI game would be great!

What companies is he trying to sell his ideas to?

Eagle Games and GMT come to mind. Eagle just made the new Civ. game. There Civil War game is very nice...
netminder25

01-24-2003, 08:43 AM #10
The Rat King
GMT games was supposedly going to release the Ancients games, but I can't find any mention of it on their web site. Maybe they changed their minds (I heard that they were intimidated by the idea of producing plastic components because it would require higher sales to break even). Glenn Drover has spoken with Richard Borg in the past as well, but they didn't make any plans as far as publishing a game goes. Glenn has enough of his own projects at the moment.
The Rat King

01-24-2003, 08:59 AM #11
netminder25
I think so many of us have played so many great games throughout our life time we have great ideas for new games or games we would like to see done. The problem with producing an all plastic game is the cost and the rate of the return on investment. This is the problem, how to make a game that is fun and entertaining to the customer and yet profitable to the company.

Makes me long for the days where my brother and myself could make a game that in a matter of hours and play for years. Cost wasn't an issue and we were only bound by the limits of imagination.
netminder25

01-24-2003, 09:16 AM #12
pellulo
I be the last to admit that a plastic rich 3-D board game is expensive, but, over the last twenty years the bulk, of my monies have gone to non-token 2-D boardgames.

The games with plastic units give a feel to the game and leads to better handling, maybe token only games might go the way of the dinosaur, thanks, Pellulo

01-24-2003, 09:47 AM #13
netminder25
To be honest that is why I have a lot of money tied up in historical miniatures. I still a lot of wargaming with 2d boards because it is easier for me to get a game in than sent up my 100 or so miniatures on a 3d terrian and do battle with a tape measure in hand. The miniatures takes everything to the next level but it has a cost prohibative barrier that comes along with it too...
netminder25

01-25-2003, 10:34 AM #14
pellulo
Perhaps companies like A.H. would make generic booster packs for the games they make, extra regular parts and some new ones for Axis and Allies type games, Civil War Games, Fantasy (yes I know they already made some), and so forth.

The units can be used on older 2-D games (if they were available for let's say the old A.H. Luftwaffe, perhaps I wouldn't have got rid of it), they give the game a different spin to it, and, allow you to use or make up rules for their use, it be great also for a WWI type game, if it ever got made, thanks, Pellulo.

01-26-2003, 03:34 AM #15
tw252
In fact there is one AA type game of WWI--"The Great War" by IMP Games, a small company.The link of the company is http://www.impgames.com.
tw252

01-26-2003, 11:28 AM #16
netminder25
The game looks interesting. Do they have plans to make a board game out of it? All I saw was the computer version....
netminder25

01-27-2003, 02:10 PM #17
pellulo
I can see the CD-ROM version coming out first, cause you get more bucks for it, and, no hassle of making a big heavy game that weights about five pounds. Also a few years down the road you can get the CD-ROM game, in the bargain bin 90% off, thanks,Pellulo

01-27-2003, 03:12 PM #18
The Rat King
I remember reading somewhere that Imp Games was planning to release The Great War in board game format later this year. They released the map view version first in order to get it play tested and get an idea of whether or not people would like it.
The Rat King

01-28-2003, 02:39 PM #19
netminder25
I don't mind computer games but sometimes it is just better to have a good old figure to push around a board. I look forward to seeing a WWI board game. I think I am going to give the computer version a try. Any one ever play it yet????
netminder25

01-29-2003, 03:06 PM #20
pellulo
I know what you mean about pushing the 3-D parts around the board, as for playing the WWI CD-Rom game the price looks good (even thought to me it was mostly a bore and disappointing to play the original A&A CD-ROM game), thanks Pellulo

02-02-2003, 02:52 AM #21
tw252
Actually the problems facing IMP for making a boardgame version of The Great War are productions costs.
tw252

02-04-2003, 09:56 AM #22
pellulo
Well I wish Imp Games luck, but, I am holding my monies out for a board (WWI) game, perhaps they can go partners with somebody someday, thanks,Pellulo

02-04-2003, 04:49 PM #23
The Rat King
Glenn Drover (at Eagle Games) has also talked about the possibility of making a World War 1 game. He mentionned in it in a thread about possible future projects on the eagle message board. However, when they had a poll about which games people wanted to see it didn't score very high so who knows. It wouldn't happen for at least a couple of years anyway.
The Rat King

02-06-2003, 07:54 AM #24
pellulo
I send Eagle a email about a month ago and their reply was they think 2004-2006 for a WWI type game, thanks, Pellulo.
P.S. Eagle has gone out of business for now.

02-10-2003, 03:18 PM #25
pellulo
Let's face it, by the time a WWI type game comes out, it is probably before the time, other less popular war games of USA History comes out(e.g.Undeclared naval war with France, Indian Wars, War of 1812, 1848 Mexican-American War with its prequel The Alamo 1836, Spanish-American War 1898, WWI. 1917-1918; Korea War 1951-1953).

There is probably more war games about the American Revolution than all of the above, thanks Pellulo.
Originally posted by pellulo:
Let's face it by the time a WWI type game comes out, it is probably before the time other less popular war games of USA History comes out(e.g.Undeclared naval war with France, Indian Wars, War of 1812, Mexican-American War with its prequel The Alamo,Spanish-American War,WWI., Korea), there is probably more war games about the American Revolution than all of the above, thanks Pellulo.

P.S. When it comes to USA Historical Military War Games, which era do you feel, has been overdone a bit too much, and, which have been underrepresented? (includes viedo games also), thanks,Pellulo

02-21-2003, 08:55 AM #27
pellulo
O.K., let's get this puppy rolling, the most overstated/overdone popular gaming for USA Military History, has to be the American Civil War. If you pick a generic game, like the bookcase games,e.g. ACROSS FIVE APRILS, that basically covers the whole war, or, the newer Cry Battle that covers 15 major battles, or, the simplistic M.B.Cry Battle of the 1960s, there most be at least enough games that cover each of the 88 Major battles or campaigns of the Civil War. Let us say mostly the same area (e.g. Richmond-Washington D.C. zone).

Is there room for more?, of course, especially for the ignore topics/nearly overlooked battles of the C.W..

How about more games based on the naval aspect of the war, from individual battles of Monitor vs. Merramic(Virgina), to larger conflicts like Farragut run into Mobile Bay past two forts, and, the fight against the Confederate States Naval Monster Ironclad, torpedoe boats, and, gunboats.

How about a section leader type game going up to company level based on the Civil War, or, a game based on the economics of the war, can the North get its economy moving before the South does? (maybe a Monopoly game based on the CW), or, a game based on the nearly successful Confederate drive to capture the area of New Mexico, etc.

Well that's enough for now especially, for the CW type games, what are your thoughts, thanks, Pellulo

All Quiet On The Western Front is coming out as a board game also with counters(2-D?), for more info go to http://www.criticalhit@rcn.com.

Back to the subject of least done games, except for a few air games(the romance of the W.W.I Flying Knights). There is not much found on war gamming for land and sea battles of the Great war, perhaps the facts of the first world war is scant, except for silent movies or propaganda reels.

Hollywood never promoted this war as compared to the Second War World (then again the major disappointment that this war was suppose to be the war to end all wars, might have left a bad taste in the American public for war gamming), and, this might has spilled over into war gamming even to this day. After all a few years back they made a big budget Pearl Harbor movie, currently there was a new C.W flick God's and Generals (I never heard of somebody planning to make a flick on let us say the Battle Of Verdun). Maybe a conflict/war that had more American participation, has a better chance to find itself in war gamming, than a war, the USA only got in less than 2 years before it ended,and over two years after it started.

So much for finding WWI board games,thanks, Pellulo.
PS Flyboys was a great WWI Air flick, maybe more on the way!

02-24-2003, 12:03 PM #29
Y2UAsk
I suspect that the more important reason behind the unpopularity of WW1 as a gaming situation is a basic misunderstanding among most people of what it was about and how it was fought. The middle years of the war were strategically and tactically uninteresting. The opening phase, the last year, and the minor theaters have lots of potential for dynamic games, but they get overshadowed by the stereotyped trench stalemate of the Western front in 1916-17. Also, I suppose it's hard to work up excitement for a war that was characterized by so much inept command.
Y2UAsk

02-25-2003, 01:50 PM #30
pellulo
Perhaps some games, especially if a A&A Type clone can't come out, might get more people interested in WWI war gaming.

Like the Battle of Jutland, The Zeppelin/Bomber Raids of the War, The Surface Raider/Q-Ships/Sub. Battles of the First War World, The Japanese Campaign to capture Germany's main port in China, the Battles in the Mid-East and Eastern Front, Alpine Battles, etc.

Also a Company Leader type game of using specialty troops and tanks for the Entente, and Storm Troopers for the Germans (the war ended before they could upgrade all their troops to that standard), who could if led correctly pierce the enemy's front line, etc. Thanks, Pellulo

O.K. another overrated war game for USA History has to be WWII (and the most done in Video and Internet world). When it comes to air, sea, land units and the battles associated with them, pretty much has been covered, maybe a Cry Battle Concept for these scenarios might be worthy,and, a couple of games for the forgotten theater of war,(BIC- Burma, China, India Theater of War-), might be attempted.

Now when it comes to a Police Action, and, a failed unpopular political war. The Korean and Vietnam wars are sadly not produce much in war gamming. That's all for now, thanks, pellulo

Another nearly overdone USA War game has to be the American Revolution, maybe a Cry Battle concept might breath new life into this subject. Along maybe some more games with a naval aspect to it.

Go up a few years and sadly the War Of 1812 and the undeclared naval conflict with the French Republic/Pirates of North Africa is pretty much ignored (the only 1812 game I've seen is American Heritage Broadsides from the 1960's). That all from now, what USA War gamming do you think is overdone/underrepresented?, thanks, Pelluo

03-03-2003, 09:09 AM #33
pellulo
Another hard to find USA war game has to be The Alamo/Mexican-American War (perhaps the big budget release of The Alamo might get a game going). Also Spanish American War with the Naval Battles included, along with some sort of gaming system of (US) Army vrs. The Indians from 1783-1899 (would this be too political a game to consider?).

This area covered would start from the East Coast, down to Florida, Parts of the West, West Coast, and, finally the Southwest and Rockies Area (most of the lower 48 states). Which all leads back to a potential Central and Entente(Allies) type World War One game, thanks,Pellulo.
PS The Alamo Movie failed to ignite much interest, in this subject.

03-03-2003, 08:02 PM #34
msjells
You pose many interesting topics. The old Avalon Hill published Geronimo!, which covered the U.S. Army vs Native Americans, but only the last half of the nineteenth century and only from Kansas west. An Alamo game was considered and was actually under development for a while, but never was published. The problem with some of the topics that you mentioned is that there is not enough "balance" in the situation to satisfy most gamers, regardless of how much interest the situation might generate. Most gamers want to have a chance to "win" a victory, and lasting longer than historically before being wiped out is not generally satisfying. For historical games, sales are frequently tied to gamers' knowledge of the period - thus games tied to areas where the general public has little knowledge (Spanish-American War, French and Indian Wars, ancient times, etc.) have a strike against them before they even see the light of day. WWII is fairly heavily studied, and the American Civil War is populated with well-known leaders. These topics will sell a certain number of games even if the title has been done several times before, because the public is comfortable with the topic.
John
msjells

03-04-2003, 10:32 AM #35
pellulo
Maybe one way to get over this, is to go the way the old American Heritage Milton Bradley games of the 1960s did, with a handsome and well illustrated booklets (that are collected separately by some people). The booklet/CD-ROM would describe the war/conflict in detail(nowadays a tie into a official web site for more info. and history).

Also putting what "if" variants into the game, like with the Alamo a last minute breakout, or, if the troops from Goldie were to join them(instead of historical surrendering and all being shot), etc. If you educate, you can then create a interest. Also using a Cry Battle concept you can have several battles and information about them with suggested variants to change the outcome (e.g. maybe the Mexicans would have bypassed the Alamo after six-not three attempted assaults, etc.).

After all it is a shame in USA war gamming that people only think of the top three sections of History:Revolutionary War, Civil War, and, WWII., thanks, Pellulo

03-10-2003, 12:13 PM #36
pellulo
Go to Grognars web site for a description of The Great War Game 1914-1918. It looks European, has over 1800 counters, two boards, ect. It cost $120.00 (imagine the price if it had plastic playing units), does anybody here ever played it?, thanks Pellulo

03-11-2003, 08:46 AM #37
pellulo
Check out the site for a list of all Avalon Hill games, and, they have a few WWI games. One deals with the Red Baron, another with the Battle of Jutland, and another deals with I believe August 1914 (start of WWI).

Also if you want to stretch it a bit, you can also count Diplomacy (it gives you a quick ideal of why all those secret alliances led to WWI). If anybody has played the first three games, let me know what you think of them, thanks, Pellulo.

03-11-2003, 11:00 AM #38
simply4est
For WWI, Avalon Hill also had Guns of August and Knights of the Air, and a number of other wargame producers (about a dozen or so) have made their versions of WWI games. One (I forget which) was even a point - to - point system which works out to being roughly the same as an area map system, just a different approach.

If you search long enough, even just on the Web Grognards site, you'll find just about every area of military history and warfare has been covered and covered numerous times with numerous approaches. It's only that the more popular ones have the preponderance.
simply4est

03-12-2003, 11:47 AM #39
pellulo
Originally posted by The Rat King:
Apparently Richard Borg has two new games using the Battle Cry play mechanic that he is trying to find a publisher for. One is set in the Napoleonic era and the other is set in the Roman era (I think). Maybe (if enough people are interested) we can get him to design a world war I game using the system.

I wonder if wouldn't just be possible to start from ancient times, up to modern times, doing the top 15 battles. Also including naval ones and air, and, beefing up the game with booster packs of additional historical units, and, games?

Also it can be just sub-dived into historical eras, e.g. early ancient times, Napoleonic times, world wars, etc., thanks Pellulo

03-12-2003, 11:55 AM #40
pellulo
Quote:
Originally posted by Forest:
For WWI, Avalon Hill also had Guns of August and Knights of the Air, and a number of other wargame producers (about a dozen or so) have made their versions of WWI games. One (I forget which) was even a point - to - point system which works out to being roughly the same as an area map system, just a different approach.

If you search long enough, even just on the Web Grognards site, you'll find just about every area of military history and warfare has been covered and covered numerous times with numerous approaches. It's only that the more popular ones have the preponderance.

Time is a severe master, as the years go by for war gamming, due to costs or popularity/trend, the lesser know war games will be forgotten or ignored, thanks, Pellulo

If you ever get to War Game it, it took the British Mespotania Army of W.W.I (most of the troops originally from India) years to get to Baghdad. While in less than two weeks, collation forces are at the outskirts of the city.

Also, yes weather was a major factor in both conflicts, thanks, Pellulo

06-27-2003, 01:57 PM #42
pellulo
If interested in a great series of books to get ideals for WWI war gamming, go to your local library research section, and, look up Marshall Candelvish History of the First World War (they did the series for the Second World War too).

The 12 book series has plenty of maps and diagrams, illustrations and pictures, printed on slick paper, to help make up a war gamming ideal, e.g. especially the Battle of Verdun.

For naval buffs a great ship by ship setup, for The Battle Of Jutland is available, here you can photocopy the whole Grand and Imperial Fleet. Also add some cardboard or contact to the back, to give it some weight. If available get blue construction paper for water, make some brown outline for land, spaces for the North Sea, rules for Attack and Defense, get a pair of dice, and you have the base for the largest sea battle of WWI.

Some libraries may have extra editions of the books (so you can check it out to take home). Also if you want to do a Axis and Allies game on WWI, an basic board from A&A helps or better yet from Castle Risk, thanks, Pellulo.

06-28-2003, 03:17 PM #43
pellulo
If interested, on gameboards.com , they have a WWI game called Paths of Glory. It comes with lots of plastic pieces and many command cards for movements and strategy. Has anyone played yet this game?, thanks ,Pellulo

07-19-2003, 12:31 PM #44
pellulo
Follow up to those games that are underrated, and, will probably never be made. Avalanche Press Ltd., has out, a handsome looking game, called, A Great war At Sea (The Spanish American War 1898). Can anybody who played this game, give feedback, maybe a WWI game is not to far off, thanks, Pellulo

07-21-2003, 08:15 AM #45
msjells
Paths of Glory (which was originally going to be an AH game before the sale of the company to Hasbro) is a combination card/board game along the lines of We The People or Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage. It has cardboard counters, not plastic pieces. It is an excellant game covering the first world war - many gamers consider it to be the best treatment of this chapter in history. It is currently out of print and may be difficult to find.
The Great War at Sea series is fairly popular. I have never played any of them myself. I believe that some of the titles are still available, though I recall reading that some of the earlier ones in the series are out of print.
John
msjells

07-21-2003, 12:50 PM #46
pellulo
Thanks for the information, if I ever get Paths of Glory, one item I might try is to get some store brought 3-D units for it (also borrow from what's left of my original three basic A.& A. games), thanks, Pellulo

07-30-2003, 03:55 PM #47
pellulo
O.K. here's another one of those hard to balance game subject(s) we thought would never get made. Found this on an e-bay auction, even with the enlarged pic., could not see the game maker, it is titled from 1981, Alamo Victory in Death, March 6, 1836. Anybody ever played this game?,and, give us feedback on it?, thanks Pellulo

07-31-2003, 02:12 PM #48
Y2UAsk
That was published by SPI. I forget who designed it -- Joe Balkoski maybe? I played it once but don't remember a lot about it. Seems that it had some unusual victory conditions that worked to artificially make it a fairly exciting contest. I never played it again, though. That was about the same time that TSR did its own Alamo game which was much smaller but lots of fun, and Yaquinto did French Foreign Legion, which was a rollicking good time defending a fort from swarms of attackers with ladders and ropes. I played those numerous times -- never went back to the SPI Alamo.

Steve
Y2UAsk

08-02-2003, 02:43 PM #49
pellulo
Thanks for the information, the Alamo game has a curiosity to it, if I ever get it, I have a feeling, it will be a one day wonder (you played all the variations you want, in just a day). Then back on E-Bay for auction it goes.

Thanks, also on areyougame.com, they have a new section called Strategy Games, allot are "war" card games, any feedback on those who have played them, thanks, Pellulo

08-03-2003, 04:49 PM #50
Irish Avenger
Yaquinto publish several well-made games. they made the best game on naval river battles of the civil war called "Ironclads". Guns of August was a pretty good game on the great war, but I still believe it would be difficult too translate this game into an A&A format. although they could make a game base on the era of the great war with all the technological advances that were made in the era of 1914-1918, plus they could put in some rules of diplomacy,spies and entangling treaties that could make an interesting game.
Irish Avenger

08-04-2003, 07:47 AM #51
pellulo
Maybe if they make a WWI game a la Axis and Allies format, they might add as a option a bit, of Diplomacy to it, and, see if both sides could cut a better deal historically before the Great war starts/ends (e.g. before the USA joins the conflict it might cut a deal that all German colonies go to the USA, in trust, instead of being divided by the other Allies nations), thanks, Pellulo

08-04-2003, 07:49 AM #52
pellulo
edited, repeat.

08-04-2003, 11:52 AM #53
simply4est
Imp Games say they are making their AA type WWI game Great War into a full blown board game (it's been just a module for the software Mot's Mapviewer) and that it will be complete with specialized period units.

I had a positive experience with them in that although they had mixed up my order, when I patiently brought it to their attention, they promptly made everything good!
simply4est

08-05-2003, 01:53 AM #54
simply4est
I dont know if they're doing that, but of course you can always play your own variants. If the pieces are anything like the units in the module, they'll lend themselves to a lot of possibilities for that era.
simply4est

08-27-2003, 09:54 AM #55
pellulo
Briefly in the previous discussion, we talk about Diplomacy, yesterday at a big chain store I saw it for sale for $40.00. Except for a few years back at a hobby store in NYC (where I saw the new Axis and Allies games of Europe & Pacific), has anybody ever seen the other new AH games in their local stores?

08-28-2003, 07:46 AM #56
msjells

Quite a few stores (relatively - not that many stores carry adult games at all any more) in Chicago's western suburbs still have most of Hasbro/Avalon Hill's titles in stock. One mall store I visited recently even had an end counter display of them.
John
msjells

09-19-2003, 06:34 PM #57
pellulo

I guess I'll expand on the above question, my experience is that regular hobby game shops, with the accessories for war gamming also (sans the viedo games).

For example the complete strategist has gone from 3 to 1 stores in a city with an average working population of 15 million (on an average NYC working day, more people come into the city, than out of it). So on your(s) experience, has hobby game shops gone the way of the dinosaurs? (yes this shop still sells plenty of AV products, picked up old A.H. UF0 & Shakespeare games for about $5 & $8 each ), thanks, Pellulo

09-23-2003, 01:07 PM #58
The Rat King
I live in Ottawa which has a population of about 1 million and there are at least 3 stores that I know of that carry the new Avalon Hill games all year round. At christmas time Toys'R'Us carries them at their 3 stores as well although its a limited stock and once they are all sold they will not restock until the next christmas shopping season. There is also a kiosk that sells games in the Bay Shore mall at christmas time and they carry most of the Avalon Hill games. In any case, the games are very easy to come by in Ottawa.
The Rat King

09-23-2003, 09:41 PM #59
pellulo
Thanks for the information, it seems your city is a "Mecca" for war gamming stores and supplies. The closes thing I saw in NYS second largest city, The "Queen" City of Buffalo, was at the local Gallaria. The store was more for Warhammer type figures and war gamming, with some Lords...Rings thrown in also, thanks, Pellulo

12-21-2003, 12:39 AM #60
pellulo
Truly one could think the Axis and Allies family of games: regular, any advance ones made outside the original Milton Bradley family, Europe and Pacific, the New Basic A&A game, the soon to be released post type game after D-Day, Bulge, and, Guadalcanal.

Much less what else in the future (El-Alamin, Battle of Atlantic, Midway, Stalingrad, Operation Torch, Kursh Offensive, Bomber
War over Germany, Battle of Berlin, etc.) , A basic A&A game of WWI shouldn't be an impossibility, thanks, Pellulo
Pellulo

01-11-2004, 12:15 PM #61
pellulo
Thanks for the information, I'll keep my eyes out for that particular game system, thanks, Pellulo

01-11-2004, 01:01 PM #62
Maestro
I've done it. I have a full list of rules to be used on the A&A: Europe map for WWI, requires another A&A set so you can use the pieces to represent 6 armies; 3 Centrals and 3 Allies, though extra players for US and Italy are also allowed. It's very easy, inspired by A&A and Guild of Blades stuff, but adapted to be very easy to run and play. Stalemates and trenches make for long games though; 8-12 hours.
Maestro

01-14-2004, 08:15 AM #63
Darksideknight
maestro, Would you be willing to post the rules for the WW1game you were talking about for use with the AA Europe board?
Please?
-Jason
01-14-2004, 11:47 AM #64
Stimpy
If people really are interested in a WWI game that is based on A&A, they really should look into Imp Games' The Great War(TGW). While I do know some of you are looking for a "board game" testing out the rules via MapView is a great way to go. The module registration is inexpensive. And we all know when a game such as this hits the stand--which it will--they generally run $50. After spending that kind of loot, if you find the game is a bust, you are out of the cash.

Stop on by the Imp boards and join the disucssion. Most of all the information that I gleaned from this string is covered in TGW. Entrenchments, naval combat, tanks, storm troops, diplomacy, neutral nations (major and minor). All very simple to assimilate, more so if you are familiar with A&A mechanics.
Stimp
[ January 15, 2004, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Moderator John ]

Stimpy
02-12-2004, 09:27 PM #65
Maestro
Yes. I will certainly post the rules, except for one problem: the entire text is in a word file and includes tables etc, so it may not post over correctly. Also included are several Excel sheets detailing exactly the placement of the units on the A&A Europe map. I'd need an email address in order to send them to you unless there was someone willing to host my rules on the internet.

Edit: I'm of course making no claim to ownership of Axis & Allies, and I believe that anyone interested in my scenario will find it both professionally done and rewarding as a gameplay experience. This does however work best if you own all three Axis & Allies games or have some other way to field six armies.

[ February 17, 2004, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Maestro ]

02-29-2004, 06:06 PM #66
Maestro
I recently gave out my scenario to a fellow gamer, this one from Germany. Please contact me if you'd like a copy of the rules and setup information, folks. A note: you will need Microsoft Word and Excel in order to view all associated setup files. Thanks.

Maestro

02-29-2004, 08:52 PM #67
pellulo
Would you buy a W.W.I game, if it had the Magic Words in front of it, Axis and Allies (the more correct but less familiar title could be Central Powers and Entente/Allies).

Especially if it followed the basic format of Axis and Allies gaming. Thanks, Pellulo
03-01-2004, 05:27 PM #68
Maestro
I'd certainly purchase a WWI game if it were made by Avalon Hill - I have played several versions of A&A "adaptions" for the first world war and I consider mine to be the best - all respect given. I borrowed some ideas from scenarios and made them functional - that is, they work on the A&A Europe board with little difficulty.

But yes, if Avalon Hill made a WWI game you can bet I would buy it. For now, I have fun with my scenario and I'd like to share it with others who are interested - at no charge, of course. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Maestro

03-09-2004, 12:34 PM #69
pellulo

As previously talked about, would you buy a World War One game , if made by Axis and Allies, here's a unofficial cover art of such a game:

unofficial cover art Axis and Allies WW1

03-10-2004, 02:32 PM #70
Maestro
Custom Scenario Designer
Copy it into your browser, I saw it.

Not bad, but it needs some color, if only in text format. Actually there were color pictures in the WWI period, done by carefully painting still images. They actually don't all look to bad.

Maestro

03-11-2004, 08:10 AM #71
pellulo
In order to avoid copyright problems, I had to removed the A&A game logo that ran across the pictures. Also some of the pics. are illustrations/posters that were in color, like the the USAAF recruitment poster of France, thanks, Pellulo.

It has been suggested if AH came out with a WWI Game, what should it be called (especially if it is "Axis & Allies " variation style game).

The thoughts are: Allies & Central Powers, or, Entente & Central Powers(also sadly allot people do not know who the Entente/Cental Powers were). How about Axis & Allies present "The Great War", what title would you come up with?, thanks, Pellulo

04-08-2004, 10:09 AM #73
xxstefanx
Quote:
Originally posted by pellulo:
It has been suggested if AH came out with a WWI Game, what should it be called(especially if it is "Axis & Allies " variation style game).

The thoughts are: Allies & Central Powers, or, Entente & Central Powers(also sadly allot people do not know who the Entente/Cental Powers were). How about Axis & Allies present "The Great War", what title would you come up with?, thanks,

Hi, yes if A&A people made a WWI game, I buy it, so far they have a track record of great games, it'll probably be a winner. Also I chose the Great War (already got a T-shirt made up on that theme, see picture), thanks, Pellulo
PS Pic. does not show anymore.
pellulo

07-13-2004, 10:55 PM #75
guildofblades
Hi Everyone,

Yes, the Guild of Blades Publishing Group does indeed publishing a WWI period game. Strictly speaking its not an A&A expansion, but rather a stand alone game. That being said, it is territorial based with a unit mix, game play, and combat rules meant to capture a similar game play experience.

The core game is called The War to End All Wars. The 2.5 Edition was just released a few months back. It upgrades the previous edition away from card stock figures to plastic game tokens (but sadly, not little figurines....having those would likely make the game cost $80 +, rather the $35 is presently does). But for those willing to "pretend" their tanks are artillery and such, your current figures will likely work for you if you don't want to the use the plastic tokens.

Anyway, there are actually 4 games in our WWI game line. They can be played seperately or all groupled together for an ubber WWI game. The games are:

The War to End All Wars (the core game)
The Great War in Africa
North American Ugrade Set
Rise of the Red Army

I'll be happy to answer any question people might have. Or you can visit our Empires of History game series pages at the URL below for more info:

http://www.guildofblades.com/empires.html

Oh, and yeah, I too hope Avalon Hill some day tackles WWI, if only for the WWI era plastic figures...

Thanks,
Ryan S. Johnson
guildofblades

07-15-2004, 02:33 PM #76
DocD
I've had a couple of WWI games, including the Guns of August...my only question is why would you want to play a WWI game? There is no sweeping movement of armies after the intial clash and the trench warfare is murderously boring.
DocD

07-19-2004, 08:27 AM #77
pellulo
Why Play?
Until the USA kicks in, can the Allies win by themselves?, the Central Powers (especially Imperial Germany) could have better A.&D. stats than the Allies. Also the use of new weapons, planes & tanks & gas warfare, with better use of troops (like shock troops, D-Day type landings, Arab Tribesmen in the Desert of Arabia, the Germans attacking in E. Africa, Japanese attacking Germanic outposts, etc.), can color the play.

Along with the threat of collapsing economies, due to blockade/submarine warfare, revolution, terror bombing from the sky, etc., maybe calmaity cards like in the old Civilization Game, could be used. Economies would have to be mobilized & armies/fleets/weapons paid for their use.

It would take more imagination to play a A.&A. WWI game, than the basic WWII game.

Much what you play in basic A.&A. was tried out or learn in the first war. So the game would not be just two big trench lines, with just barb wire & machine guns pointed at each other, thanks, Pellulo

P.S. Enjoyed The Battle of Jutland Blades game, used also house rules, thanks, Pellulo
pellulo

07-19-2004, 10:55 AM #78
DocD
Sorry Pellulo, but if the game is modeled after WWI and has just an inkling of historical accuracy, then it would be machine guns pointed at each other across the trenches. Have you read the book an Idiot's Guide to WWI. If not I highly recommend it.
DocD

07-19-2004, 11:37 AM #79
Clausewitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD
Have you read the book an Idiot's Guide to WWI. If not I highly recommend it.

I haven't read the said book, Doc, though it sounds like the sort of book you'd read.
Actually, I agree about WW1 and Axis and Allies, but have you played Memoir '44 yet?
It seems to me that this game system would be much more suitable for a WW1 game. Just add some trench tiles, reduce the power of tanks a little, add some authentic units and DocZ's your uncle!
Clausewitz

07-19-2004, 01:49 PM #80
DocD
Spectreman
Very funny Clausey..lol...
No, I haven't played Memoir and I hardly see how a game system set for WWII could accurately reflect WWI.
Anyway, Strategic Trenches are bad things in any game OK.
DocD
Page 2 of 11 <1> Last »
Last edited by pellulo on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Pellulo

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:34 pm

pellulo;

I already made your game and you can find everything here:

ok here you go:

use these rules, maps, and player aids and cards, play tested 60 times at least by different groups over the last 2-3 years.

I also have a map extension that includes the campaign in Africa.

I finally release this to the general public in its glory...

Rules:
http://www.mediafire.com/?9ymptd0nlen

Map:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1r0fmrxmoyz

Extended map for Africa:
http://www.mediafire.com/?0nmmwbgjeyw

rules for Africa map:
http://www.mediafire.com/?6nxishhcjd9

Unit force pool (player aid):
http://www.mediafire.com/?5jxjjxpmifn

set ups:
http://www.mediafire.com/?0wnk9dm2ytp

Central Powers Cards:
http://www.mediafire.com/?dvw1ckxcw2n
http://www.mediafire.com/?0cbw3mdolpb
http://www.mediafire.com/?0lsn1mmjm7v

Allied Cards:
http://www.mediafire.com/?70mcntz2jx0
http://www.mediafire.com/?5vod4nb0m4y
http://www.mediafire.com/?edjnjk1ld4x

General cards:
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php? ... vhviglf2sb&...
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php? ... moytn37430&...
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php? ... tmgs2vzxm4&...

Battleboard:
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php? ... xjdwdt4emk&...
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

pellulo

WOW!, this is great...

Post by pellulo » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:08 am

...I cannot believe this will not somehow, be produce en mass, for gamers, great job!, thanks, Pellulo
Last edited by pellulo on Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pellulo

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:17 am

you forgot the : ",Thanks Pellulo part"

elbowmaster

Post by elbowmaster » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:46 pm

Nice job Il, but it would be nice if you would post in the appropriate location....