More House rules..

Apparently The Axis & Allies site over at Avalon Hill is going to be phased out soon. A new one will replace it. If you have something over there that you don’t want to be evaporated into thin air then cut and paste it, and bring it over here so that it is not lost forever.

More House rules..

Post by pellulo » Tue May 13, 2008 8:36 am

...enjoy, Pellulo

Don't foget Pellulo, AH/HAsbro/Wizards are running the show- not MB! I remember my first A&A game was off the shelf of a Toys R us! Ahhhh....the Good Ol' Days!

-Nick- [img]smile.gif[/img]

05-17-2004, 07:57 AM #42
The original Hasbro plan was to distribute the Avalon Hill line through hobby stores only and not through general toy stores or mass merchandisers. I don't know if that's ever changed or not.
Moderator John msjells

05-17-2004, 09:13 PM #43
Long ago I got my first copy of Axis and Allies from Toys R Us, along with some other Game Master titles. Back when one entire wall, floor to ceiling, was devoted to boardgames.

Can't blame AH/Wiz for 'shunning' TRU for these particular titles, since it seems to have turned into an infant/toddlers/clothier/diaper store rather than a toy and game store.
A. Autarch

05-26-2004, 03:02 PM #44
Hi, if Toys R Us can sell copoious amount of various viedo games, that cover many types of games, like wargamming (it could be historical or sci-fi or fantasy). What's the big deal, about pushing some consitant wargames on the shelves (have you seem the die cast material, e.g. WWII armour & stuff, mostly brought by adult males, I figure it would be a good tie in), thanks, Pellulo

05-27-2004, 08:10 AM #45
GROGnads, you crack me up. I wish you lived closer to the midwest - I'd like to see you. I have this vision of this bare-footed, long-haired guy who started a simple commune for people who were unhappy with the world's injustices and ended up building a Sgt. Pepper-like fantasy land where all problems can be banished with a good joke. Please don't tell me that you're a 9 to 5 suit guy that has to come up with this stuff in order to keep sane in a high-pressure environment...

Best Regards,

05-27-2004, 10:27 AM #46
9-5 guy- That is way funny! (lol)

(Ok- I can't stop laughing....ok- I am trying...9-5 )

OK- I am ok- now (I think)- (lol)

-nick- [img]smile.gif[/img]

06-06-2004, 09:47 PM #47
For a variant for the D-Day game for armour, keep the German stats for Attack/Defense/Movement the same.

As for the Allies, the Britsh tanks go down by one for their tanks, for attack purposes, except for one quarter who are the modified Sherman Fireflies (the same for US forces as some of their Shermans had a better cupola & the new 76mm gun).

I'm sure of the Canadian Tanks, used three regular Shermans to one modified Firefly (by war's end, they had mostly modified tanks).

If you really want to make it tought for the Allies, give them no Armour, for Omaha beach, as the great majority of the Duplex Swimming Shermans were sunk by cross currents.

Not much for Air/Sea forces, as Germany did't make much of a show of them, that first day, thanks, Pellulo

06-30-2004, 10:36 PM #48
pellulo Varations
Allright let's hear your favorite varation/house rule that has change a particular game for you, anybody has one for:

Old American Heritage Games like Skirmish, Broadsides, Cry Battle, DogFight, &, Hit the Beach,

BattleMaster Games like Conquest of the Empire, Shogun/Samurai Swords, Broadsides & Boarding Parties, Axis & Allies (including Xeno), Fortress America,

Miscellaneous History Games like Mid-East Combat (it uses A.&A. & Fortress America Units to play it), Empire, Weapons & Warriors, 1861 by Asten, Zeveda Battle of Marathon,

Avalon Hill Games like Risk 2210, History of the World, Wizard's Quest, Feudal, U.F.O., Luffwaffe, Shakespeare Game, Civilzation, Axis and Allies Europe & Pacific, Cry Battle,

Sci.-Fi/Fantasy Games like HeroQuest & Quest Packs, BattleMasters, Buck Rodgers in the 25th. Century, or, whatever your favorite game is currently...thanks, Pellulo

07-02-2004, 02:50 AM #49
Speaking of TSR....Buck Rogers was Cool and don't forget Dragon Lance too (pretty neat)

07-02-2004, 02:25 PM #50
Dragon Lance was O.K., but, it kinda ended for that time, when TSR was getting into different kinds of boardgames. The problem was, you went from a rich 3-D enviorment of the Buck game, to the anemic rich 2-D token units of Dragon Lance (all for the same price!). What a difference a pound or so of plastic figures will do for a game!

07-07-2004, 10:26 PM #51
I thought the Buck game was great for simple innovation - I think it would have been more widespread with a more popular theme. The Buck Rogers name tended to turn a lot away by sounding too kiddish, when actually the product was a good game with some new twists.

The one I've messed with the longest would be Broadsides - since I was a kid, a thousand years ago, lol - tried different things like naval formations, movement allowances that could be spent on turning and sailing. I'm even in a long term (whenever I can pry out time) of making a board where each player's TWO ports are across (so their trade routes directly cross each other) - have to make some red merchants - and they score by either/and/or how many successful deliveries across of merchant loads/ how many kills - or sails - haven't decided yet. As they go, they can opt to spend profits from trade to refit or build new ships.

I also hope to take the old Screa min maneuvers and weapons for WWI and WWII planes

07-09-2004, 12:18 AM #52
That would be a great idea actually! I remember Skirmish, I had that one when I was young but lost track of it. I'm also hoping to make an Am Rev game, I hope to use the old BMC plastic Am Rev soldiers if I can gather enough. But yeah, I remember the Skirmish troops and little stacking cylinders, but I had forgotten all about the ships.

07-10-2004, 07:40 AM #53
Also, a dirt cheapo solution is just use Risk pieces, although they're a bit small, lolol.

Am Continental army and/or French regulars - Blue
Am Rebel Militia - Green
Brit reg - Red
Tory Militia - Yellow
Hessian Mercenaries - Black
and I had an idea for the other color and forgot, lol!

07-12-2004, 09:32 AM #54
D-Day Historical Variant
Even thought many who play, do not know much about Historical D-Day(except for seeing Saving...Ryan), one interesting variant, is, if Rommel had his armour down by the beaches already (like he orginally wanted), for the start of the game (of course the Allies would know, especially the Air Force & Navy).

Another is keeping combine Arms for the Axis, let a majority be e.g. Armour, and, the troops & some sort of symbolic air(one fighter), be the minority. This can be rotated, trying the troops the majority, or, the German Air Force is the majority (get the fighters from that old A.&A. game), keeping the troopers & armour, as some sort of front line tripwire/bait (an old habit the powers use to practice in WWI trench warfare).

Of course same can be said for the Allies (round robining the troopers, armour, &, air setup).

Finally how about the German Navy using the new coastal subs,&, the new type XXI Subs(super-super subs), along with their last destroyers & pocket battleship , &, regular BattleWagon. To make a last ditch stand, to stop the invasion (troops & armor & air would not be used for the Germans, except around the cities ,&, in a minority role).

Oh yes, do not forget that Nazi Aircraft Carrier with the ME-109s, thanks, Pellulo

09-28-2006, 08:03 AM #55
pellulo An Empire of History Game, Battle of Jutland
These mini boxed games, come stock full of units made of cardboard, (it helps if you clear contact the maps & diecut counters).

One varation I found useful is having High Fleet cross the "T" of the British Fleet (visa versa). The victim gets hafe their normal shots & if you want, the other fleet gets a extra defensive advantage just for one turn. Also for turn two the roles reverse as the victim fleet (any survivors) nows gets to cross the other fleets "T".

Also I throw in subs from an old A&A game and make up A/D & movement rules for them, and, sea scouts to help find out where the real oppenents fleet is, on the board.

To speed a game up, you can give firepower to these ships, using A&A & Xeno rules, thanks, Pellulo

09-29-2006, 08:02 PM #56
Imperious leader
Sorry chap but that game is horrible. It has no value at all. I own it and played it and its very boring. The print copy for everything is a horrible quality and its not very well researched. They must have made this game from concept to completion in 15 minutes.Thanks, Pellulo
Imperious leader

09-30-2006, 03:31 PM #57
Jutland-Battle of Trafalgar
The orginal Jutland game is a bit on the slow side, but, house rules help kick it up a notch.

Another game, great for youngesters learning about wargamming, is Battle of Trafalgar, by P and S games. Basically it is played allot like simplfied rooks pieces from a Chess set. You can go up or sideways, but, no diagonal moves, landing on a die throw, onto a enemy Man Of War sinks it. Also until you get to enemy home waters, you cannot turn around.

Along the way, we allowed diagonal moves, going backwards, and, using Battleship rules from Axis and Allies, of a four needed to strike a hit on the enemy British ship. Oh, yes we did a crossing a T game also, quite fun.

The 24 ships are quite handy for the American Heritage Game of Broadsides about the War of 1812, or, BattleMasters Broadsides and Boarding Parties. Or whatever nautical game needing old style sailing ships in it. Thanks, Pellulo

Page 2 of 2