Submarines:

Marking the 50th anniversary of Avalon Hill, Wizards of the Coast published this very special version of A&A. I hope you enjoy it.
eggsaladsandwich

Re: Submarines:

Post by eggsaladsandwich » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:31 pm

adlertag wrote:
Larry wrote:Submarines: At the same time your ships can pass through (ignore) an enemy sea zone containing only enemy submarines.
the impression I got, was that the big idea of subs was to hunt lonely trannies......... and now subs even cant sink lonely trannies. Geeeez.
The operative word here is "Hunt" ie..the sub has to hunt them lone trannies (as in "on the subs combat movement"). Even wolves sleep sometimes so you could sneak a flock thru its den if YOU are picking the time. :lol:
War is hell, Peace is hells waiting room.

The_Doetzel

Post by The_Doetzel » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:21 am

Subs get the surprise attack even when getting attacked(unless attacker has a destroyer) so instead of using the surprise attack could the sub choose to submerge? thus only getting fired at by other subs (with Surprise Strike ability) and not cruisers, battleships or aircraft.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:10 am

Subs on either side can submerge before anything fires, even other subs, if there is no enemy destroyer (see the FAQ).
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

The_Doetzel

Post by The_Doetzel » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:18 am

Thanks Krieghund we can always count on you.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:50 pm

Krieghund wrote:Subs on either side can submerge before anything fires, even other subs, if there is no enemy destroyer (see the FAQ).
Why is this not in the rule book ? Were we drinking too much beer during playtest, Kev ? Anyway, too late now since this game is a limited edition already out of print. Great.

Anyway, it have been some evolution from MB 2 ed in 1984 to Anniversary ed 2008. The MB rule book was not easy to understand. After that the Europe and Pacific rulebooks was great improvements. Revised rulebook sucked, same with D-day. BotB was better, Guad rulebook even more improving, and Ann rulebook is the best rulebook so far in this line of games. But still even this latest rulebook has room for improvements.

I strongly advise the chimps at WOTC to ditch Revised and make more prints of Ann, and let second print come with an upgradet rulebook including the present FAQ and fat tanks, and maybe Italian navy.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:10 pm

adlertag wrote:
Krieghund wrote:Subs on either side can submerge before anything fires, even other subs, if there is no enemy destroyer (see the FAQ).
Why is this not in the rule book ? Were we drinking too much beer during playtest, Kev ?
Ask the guys at Avalon Hill. You seem to ascribe a lot more influence to playtesters than we actually have. All we can do is make suggestions. It's up to others to make decisions.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:05 pm

Krieghund wrote: Ask the guys at Avalon Hill. You seem to ascribe a lot more influence to playtesters than we actually have. All we can do is make suggestions. It's up to others to make decisions.
Yes I see, but my copy come with 2 Italian cruisers and 4 Russian cruisers, so I was wondering about your playing style and strategy. As playtester, you never purchased any Italian cruisers ? And at same time build a large Russian fleet ? Or did you perhaps suggest the game come with 6 Italian cruisers, but Hasbro said this game is just another toy, so Italy get 2 cruisers and Russia get 4 ? Do understand my confusion.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:30 pm

I can say that I never purchased any cruisers for either Italy or the USSR, but I can't say how the final piece numbers were calculated, since I wasn't involved in that process.