Italian Power:

Marking the 50th anniversary of Avalon Hill, Wizards of the Coast published this very special version of A&A. I hope you enjoy it.
elbowmaster

Italian Power:

Post by elbowmaster » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:51 pm

Larry wrote:Italian Power: This is a big deal! Italy is now the 3rd Axis power. It is suddenly a very big fish in a very small pond. Protected from the North by German, the Italian player can concentrate on the Mediterranean region, Africa, the Middle East and even contribute to the war in Russia. Don’t make the mistake of under estimating this new Axis power.

Blackhat

Post by Blackhat » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:29 am

Does anyone find that instead of an expeditionary force generator, Italy (with its bush league IPC) becomes an infantry mill for garrisoning Europe?

quebec128

Re: Italian Power:

Post by quebec128 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:39 pm

So far in the several games we've played... Italy has done some interesting things... Definatly garrissoning Europe, but in one game Italy was used to help take down russia faster... It seems to play out like Germany gets 2 turns per round. Usually though it depened on if National Objectives were in play... with them in Italy usually has way more money and can then go after Africa better or even harass the British Navy.

Make_It_Round

Post by Make_It_Round » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:19 pm

Yeah, we call Italy 'The Russian Can-Opener' in my parts.

If the USSR player leaves only 1-3 infantry in front of a factory or their capitol, then usually the Italians have just enough power to clear these out, to make room for a German tank breakthrough. It's a real one-two punch combo!

The first time it happened to me as the USSR I was completely gob-smacked... I was so used to being able to 'block' with only 1 inf that it took me completely off guard. Never again :!:

Blackhat

Post by Blackhat » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:45 pm

Make_It_Round wrote:Yeah, we call Italy 'The Russian Can-Opener' in my parts.
sorry what? there's a can-opener in your parts!?!?

:shock:

timerover51

Post by timerover51 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:53 am

Are these six player games with a separate Italian player, or five player games with the German player controlling Italy as well?

Builder_Chris

Post by Builder_Chris » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:14 pm

Most of the games my group plays are 4 or 5 player games with Germany and Italy almost always being played by the same player. We have played a few games with 6 players and it works fine if you have an Italian player willing to wait 45+ minutes to take his 3 minute turn.

When I first saw them I thought what a joke they would prove to be as an Axis “offensive force”. I was quickly proved wrong. If they work on keeping their national objectives, don’t push too far into Africa, and concentrate the first couple of rounds getting units in position to “can open Russia”…they can be a great addition to the Axis war effort.

However, if the allies concentrate their bombing efforts against them instead of Germany and keeping their national objective bonuses from them by invading Africa ASAP they can quickly become “the soft underbelly” of Europe.

If they are played by a separate player instead of being controlled by the German player, they can also become very frustrating for the Axis players if they decide to go for more IPC in Africa instead of helping to bolster the eastern front.

I think they are a great addition to the game and (although I haven’t purchased it yet) I was disappointed to see them removed from the newest Axis and Allies 1942 game.
Construimus, Batuimus -- "We Build, We Fight.".....we party all night!

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:42 pm

Italy wasn't removed from the 1942 Edition. It just wasn't added. :wink:

The scale of the 1942 Edition made it difficult to add Italy as an effective power. However, you may certainly look forward to seeing it in the upcoming Europe 1940 game.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok