Cost changes:

Marking the 50th anniversary of Avalon Hill, Wizards of the Coast published this very special version of A&A. I hope you enjoy it.
Larry

Re: Cost changes:

Post by Larry » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:26 am

I so enjoyed reading all these comments... Great thoughts and I must tell you, I already have had most of them. I agree with so much of what has been stated here.
I for one am very thankful that Larry has made the IPC the only tool for representing this otherwise very complex real world system of global production.
Thank you, I appreciate that.

If it helps... ICs in Eur/Pac1940 have two prices. A major IC cost 30, while a minor cost 12. By the way... With the exception of England and Japan an IC cannot be built on an island. Hey, what are ya gonna do... If ICs are too expensive, nobody buys em. If I make em too cheap, well... they lose their personality.

Why the hell did I ever come up with ICs other than the originals placed on the board at the set up? What was I thinking... From a game mechanic point of view it quickly became evident that without the possibility of additional ICs, that could be purchased, the game would slow down considerably. It would simply take longer (move turns) to get units around the board. But hold on a minute, this ain't just some totally abstract game trickery. These 2nd wave ICs represent an investment in a power's infrastructure. Time, money and people have been dedicated to an effort that permits the existence of certain types of hardware. With the purchase of such a facility the player (power) is recognized as being able to introduce, to a strategically located part of the world, that which would be required to support such military hardware. The newly purchased and placed IC represents all that which is required to maintain these various unit types. Think about it. From a game mechanic point of view the game needed something that could introduce new units closer to the front lines of the games. We all know what it’s like to be fighting some guy that has his IC's one territory away while we have to move all those infantry through 3 or 4 territories before we get to the front... I know you know all this. The point I'm trying to make is that these newly purchased ICs are probably not ICs at all. They probably should be considered to be staging areas, or major storage facilities. Something along that line. You might think of it this way... A guy buys and places an IC in Anglo-Egyptian Sudan (using the Anniversary game as an example). Next turn he builds a Battleship there. Wow... I haven't been to Sudan but I doubt that they have a lot people running around that know how to build a row-boat much less a battleship. Calling this newly purchased THING an industrial complex is not too far off the mark, but admittedly it is not this factory with its miles of assembly lines and thousands of workers and tons of steel or oil. It's something a bit less than that. As to what exactly it is - I leave that to you. It all depends on how you look at it. It’s not this sprawling shipyard like you’d find in Liverpool, England, but probably more like this huge facility that provides all the infrastructure necessary to support and store all things required to maintain a battleship or even tanks for that matter. Hey, one of the interesting aspects of Axis & Allies is how it intentionally leaves some ambiguities. Ambiguities that can only be addressed or answered in the players imagination. I’m often asked how many men an infantry unit represents. There is no specific number. There is however a comparative value. In other words … If I have one and you have two, you have twice as many as I do.
Sorry. I'm just going on here.
Love your comments.

axis_roll

Post by axis_roll » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:38 am

I am really sorry to side track this thread, but these were the thoughts that came to mind as I read your thought processes behind a key aspect of the game (Industrial Complexes, specifically newly purchased ones)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Larry,

What is it like living a dream?

I am not talking about from monetary perspective (although living comfortably is important), I am talking about designing different games (being creative) that people play for enjoyment. You took something you love (WWII history), and turned it into a franchise of fun. You must enjoy waking up each morning looking forwards to working on the next variation of Axis & Allies.

I've heard this about life:
If you take something you enjoy doing, and do that for a living, you'll be happy.

Does this hold true? Or does your 'work' ever become a 'JOB'?

Oh I am sure you have some rough days, but to me, it seems I would love to do what you do.

Thanks for your wonderful creation(s)!

Sincerely and hopelessly addicted,
axis_roll
a.k.a. Bill
Team AR
Germany
Give Enhanced a try, Revised best variant rule set
http://boards.avalonhill.com/showthread.php?t=15339

Larry

Post by Larry » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:35 pm

I don't know really. I must add, however, that I do do what I do with passion and great interest. I do have rough days but they help keep everything in perspective . Hey, let your passions show you the way. I am pretty fortunate and I do love what I do.

Craig A Yope

Post by Craig A Yope » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:34 am

Larry wrote:I do have rough days.....
Would those be the days that I send along my concerns about the latest playtest? :wink: :D

Larry

Post by Larry » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:11 pm

Of course not... You and your group have only been a source of great joy and inspiration to me.

Craig A Yope

Post by Craig A Yope » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:38 pm

Larry wrote:Of course not... You and your group have only been a source of great joy and inspiration to me.
You just like Dan's funny commentaries. :wink: :D