Cost changes:

Marking the 50th anniversary of Avalon Hill, Wizards of the Coast published this very special version of A&A. I hope you enjoy it.
elbowmaster

Cost changes:

Post by elbowmaster » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:11 pm

Larry wrote:Cost changes: Hey, destroyers now cost 8 and they attack/defend at 2/2. There are other such changes as well… Bombers now cost 12, they used to be 15. Antiaircraft guns now cost 6 instead of 5. By the way, AA guns can only fire at aircraft that attack the territory they are on. There are no longer any taking pop shots at over flying aircraft. Battleships now cost 20, down from 24. Carriers are now down too. They cost 14. They used to cost 16. Transports have been reduced as well. They now cost 7, one less than before. Their attack/numbers have changed from 0/1 to 0/0. There is a big change in subs as far as cost. They went from 8 to 6. Their attack/defense numbers have changed from 2/2 to 2/1.

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:39 pm

I think subs should attack/defend on 2/2 even if they cost 6 IPC, since the sub stalling is history.
Destroyer att/def on 2/2 and cost 8 IPC, but they can do a lot of other stuff too, like stall enemy fleets, abort subs surprise strike, and let aircrafts attack subs.

questioneer

Post by questioneer » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:40 pm

Why do AAguns cost 6 IPCs now??? They lose their "pop-shot" ability yet they cost more? What was the thinking on this one? Has anyone got an answer from Larry on this one yet??

Thanks
Questioneer
:?:

Craig A Yope

Post by Craig A Yope » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:28 am

questioneer wrote:Why do AAguns cost 6 IPCs now??? They lose their "pop-shot" ability yet they cost more? What was the thinking on this one? Has anyone got an answer from Larry on this one yet??

Thanks
Questioneer
Just be happy that the ICs aren't 20 IPCs like we playtested with! :shock:

Craig

Staghound

Post by Staghound » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:28 pm

adlertag wrote:I think subs should attack/defend on 2/2 even if they cost 6 IPC, since the sub stalling is history.
Better make subs A3D2C8

Works great.

AA C6 is a mystery to me as well.

Battleships at C20 is much better (we play with C18, though).

8)

questioneer

Post by questioneer » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:43 am

questioneer wrote:Why do AAguns cost 6 IPCs now??? They lose their "pop-shot" ability yet they cost more? What was the thinking on this one? Has anyone got an answer from Larry on this one yet??

Thanks
Questioneer
I think I figured out why. The secret is in the Research and Development- ROCKETS. If attained, rockets can be powerful in this game. The country that has it will buy more AAguns because in this game (just like Revised) you can have more than one AAgun in a territory AND you can fire from EACH one in this game also. You still can't do that for SBRs or combat but you CAN fire from each AAgun- even if you have more than one in a territory- for the ROCKET advantage. AA50 gives you a better chance, if almost guaranteed, that someone will get a R&D during the game at some point and therefore better chances to get ROCKETS. This would explain the slight increase in cost for AAguns from 5 to 6.- well at least I think.

questioneer

Post by questioneer » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:29 am

Thanks
Questioneer
Would still like to get an answer from the man himself on this one. Was it a production misprint or what? :?:

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:13 am

I can tell you this much - it's not a misprint.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok