Color Blindness

Marking the 50th anniversary of Avalon Hill, Wizards of the Coast published this very special version of A&A. I hope you enjoy it.
timerover51

Color Blindness

Post by timerover51 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:19 am

On Sunday, January 11, we started up our first ever session of our winter gaming class, with 37 students, each of whom parents is paying $180 for the five week session. I had an interesting experience at the end of the class, when one of the Dad's came in to pick up his two sons, who are in my Axis and Allies Classic group. He looked at the board, and then asked why what he thought was Russia had so much territory. Turns out he is brown-green color blind and could not distinguish between Russian, British, China, and Japanese areas, and was having a tough time with the units. He could pick up the bright red Japanese units from my older Pacific game.

I showed him the Russian, Japanese, and Italian units of the Anniversary edition, and he could not distinguish between them at all. The board was the same way, and most of the borders he could not pick up at all. He was a bit disappointed as he thought that it looked like a good game for him to play with his two sons. Has any one else run into this problem? I do know several friends of mine that are color-blind, and had not really thought of it before.

Craig A Yope

Post by Craig A Yope » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:19 am

My friend Dan Kersey (one of the credited playtesters) is red-green colorblind and was constantly pointing out the need for the territory borders to be more prominent.

He too was having trouble with the borders in USSR. Now the map we worked with in playtesting was a bit different than the final one that is now in the box, but the issue was brought forth.

He deals with it so well that I forget about it most of the time. It is a bigger issue than I think most people/companies know.

Here is a theory I have about this topic. I think that there are proportionally more people, who are color blind, playing wargames than there are in the general population as a whole. I think that they gravitate to games like these because of their analytical nature.

Dan is a CAD guy. I think that his leaning towards this kind of job and an analytical analysis of the game (he is one of those guys that really does the math on all of the battles) comes from a more "black and white" view of the world around him.

It also ties into my theory about the personality types one typically finds populating the wargaming genre.

Craig

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:16 am

I am sorry that your friends are colorblind, also I am sorry for all the palestinian kids getting killed in Gaza today, and I am sorry for all the kids starving in Africa. Now I can't help the starving or killed kids, but I can ask your colorblind friends to buy some paint,and paint the units in neon orange, bright red, purple and pink.

Craig A Yope

Post by Craig A Yope » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:06 am

adlertag wrote:I am sorry that your friends are colorblind, also I am sorry for all the palestinian kids getting killed in Gaza today, and I am sorry for all the kids starving in Africa. Now I can't help the starving or killed kids, but I can ask your colorblind friends to buy some paint,and paint the units in neon orange, bright red, purple and pink.
This is irrelevant to the discussion. :roll:

Craig

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:23 pm

Craig A Yope wrote:
This is irrelevant to the discussion. :roll:

Craig
But I think its not. I guess 999 out of 1000 customers are satisfied with this product. But suddenly you got a friend who is colorblind, and now you want Hasbro to make the pieces in the same noob colors as Risk. So I tell you its better that this one dude paint his pieces, rather then the 999 others that have no problem with colors. I am sick and tired of you left-wing commies who want the strong ones to be considerate to the poor ones. Now my eyes work the way the lord intendet, and I am happy with the Anniversary colors. So tell you friend to buy paint.

Builder_Chris

Post by Builder_Chris » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:34 pm

I work in construction and it is just mind numbing how many codes are out there that dictate how things are to be built to accommodate the few people that need/want it compared to the many that don’t. (and the fines that you can get hit with for NOT building it that way).

I’m all for humanitarian causes; peace, love helping out your fellow man and helping little old ladies cross the street 8) but…as long as it does not endanger someone’s life…What ever happened to majority rules? :shock: Or...He who is in charge makes the rules/decisions. :shock:

I think the colors selected for the game are fine, but than again I’m not color blind. :wink: And I will agree that boundary lines of territories might be a little hard to see, but I’m not entirely certain yet that the reason I cant “see” them is due to color and not more to the fact that I don’t have the board "memorized" like I do with AAR. :roll:

:P You know though, I do have a left handed friend that plays tons of dice games, and I have yet to see anyone that makes “dice for lefties”. I wonder if Avalon Hill could change the way dice are made to accommodate him/them. :lol:

OK…seriously…granted, things can always been done "better", and maybe the colors could have been a little different to “fix” some of the things that had been noted in play testing…like colors.

But, all and all I think the majority of people would agree that the board and piece colors are nicely done.

How ever, I also agree with aldertag. If the colors are truly THAT bad for you and if you are the type of person to spend extra cash on this game just to get “extra Italian pieces”. PAINT THEM. Heck, better yet, why don’t you just spend MORE money and take the board to a custom printer and have it modified/colored to your hearts content and paint all of your pieces to match?

I guess I must be getting old. But I just don’t see the issue with the colors.

Their not THAT bad!?

And timerover51, like I’ve said before, I often enjoy your “historical comments”, but I just can’t help but wondering “WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU EVEN PLAYING A&A FOR!!!???” I know I have not read ALL of your posts, but the umpteen that I have read, it sounds like you hate this game more than you love it. :cry: Maybe you would be happier just playing/designing your own games. :? I’m sure if nothing else you might be happier with the exacting historical detail(s) you would put in the game. And you might like the colors you pick better than what someone else has picked.

Good luck. :)
Construimus, Batuimus -- "We Build, We Fight.".....we party all night!

adlertag

Post by adlertag » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:55 am

A&A Europe and A&A Pacific had the best colors, both on pieces and on map. Except Japan should be MB 2.ed yellow, and Italy should be light grey. But I dont whine and nag, I just paint them.

timerover51

Post by timerover51 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:02 am

Builder_Chris wrote:I work in construction and it is just mind numbing how many codes are out there that dictate how things are to be built to accommodate the few people that need/want it compared to the many that don’t. (and the fines that you can get hit with for NOT building it that way).

I’m all for humanitarian causes; peace, love helping out your fellow man and helping little old ladies cross the street 8) but…as long as it does not endanger someone’s life…What ever happened to majority rules? :shock: Or...He who is in charge makes the rules/decisions. :shock:

I think the colors selected for the game are fine, but than again I’m not color blind. :wink: And I will agree that boundary lines of territories might be a little hard to see, but I’m not entirely certain yet that the reason I cant “see” them is due to color and not more to the fact that I don’t have the board "memorized" like I do with AAR. :roll:

:P You know though, I do have a left handed friend that plays tons of dice games, and I have yet to see anyone that makes “dice for lefties”. I wonder if Avalon Hill could change the way dice are made to accommodate him/them. :lol:

OK…seriously…granted, things can always been done "better", and maybe the colors could have been a little different to “fix” some of the things that had been noted in play testing…like colors.

But, all and all I think the majority of people would agree that the board and piece colors are nicely done.

How ever, I also agree with aldertag. If the colors are truly THAT bad for you and if you are the type of person to spend extra cash on this game just to get “extra Italian pieces”. PAINT THEM. Heck, better yet, why don’t you just spend MORE money and take the board to a custom printer and have it modified/colored to your hearts content and paint all of your pieces to match?

I guess I must be getting old. But I just don’t see the issue with the colors.

Their not THAT bad!?

And timerover51, like I’ve said before, I often enjoy your “historical comments”, but I just can’t help but wondering “WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU EVEN PLAYING A&A FOR!!!???” I know I have not read ALL of your posts, but the umpteen that I have read, it sounds like you hate this game more than you love it. :cry: Maybe you would be happier just playing/designing your own games. :? I’m sure if nothing else you might be happier with the exacting historical detail(s) you would put in the game. And you might like the colors you pick better than what someone else has picked.

Good luck. :)
I am not the one colorblind. The one that is colorblind is the father of two of my students. He was simply expressing his disappointment with respect to the game. Most people expect to be able to play a game right out of the box, without having to modify pieces, boards, or anything of that nature. If that is what is required, they will pass the game by. I simply had not encountered the problem of colorblindness before with respect to a game.

I did have a friend in ROTC who was not aware that he was red-green colorblind until he took his army physical. That eliminated him from his hope of flying helicopters. If I remember correctly, he was finally assigned to the infantry, where colorblindness was not that much of an issue.