What do you add to the game (atmosphere, not rules)?

This is the new classic game of Axis & Allies. Designed for 2-5 players, the game is set in 1942 – the historical high-water mark of Axis expansion.
mngoatjoe

What do you add to the game (atmosphere, not rules)?

Post by mngoatjoe » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:08 pm

Hey, just curious what you guys do to add atmosphere to the game?

My cousin had a HUGE map printed, and that has not only made playing easier (space wise), but it's just incredible to play on a board that takes up a whole table.

Some of the other things we've added:
- Flight stands for fighters and bombers. These are really cool.
- Big fishing tackle trays for the units. I don't know why, but it adds a seriousness to the game.
- Magnets. Two types: flat flexible sheet magnets, and little round rare earth magnets. The flat magnets go on the decks of the carriers, and the little round ones go in a whole drilled on the bottoms of the fighters and bombers. They also go on the tip of the flight stands. The planes sit on the carriers and flight stands really well and (especially with the carriers) don't fall off nearly as easily.
- I have a spreadsheet that calculates IPCs for each country. My buddies doesn't seem to like it very much (I don't think they trust my cell calculation skills). It also tracks victory cities. I think I'll try it one more time, but if they don't warm to it, then I'll drop the subject.

So, what do you guys do?

keredrex

Re: What do you add to the game (atmosphere, not rules)?

Post by keredrex » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:01 pm

Cool... I like the flight stand idea.. gonna use it. at the moment we are magnetizing the carriers and planes. I created a log sheet that keeps track of IPC's, Purchases, advantages/ Technology (if used), it has space for game notes where we like to write in amazing combat results (like 4 1's for AA Fire wiping out a bombing run..Crazy). and it keeps track per round. we also made a Save Game Page so we can continue games another day. other than that we have are house rules.

robdunbar69

Post by robdunbar69 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:24 am

On the subject of maps is one to get ahold of,-not for playing on but in 1991,dec.edition of national geographic it has pacificww2 campaine on other side europe A&A gamers should chk it out its loaded w info! & it will shed light on the#of soles lost.!
Use it up,or wear it out,make it do,or do without

turner

Post by turner » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:44 am

I use different chips for the Axis and the Allies.

Axis- black 5 units/ grey 1 unit
Allies - red 5 units/ white 1 unit

For activated minors I use -

Grey German infantry from AA-revised to represent Axis.
Ugly Yellow-green UK infantry from AA-revised to represent Allies.

I also put neutral units on the board at start-up with the infantry unit laying on its side. When activated stand it up. That way you can easily see which countries are axis/allied leaning and how many units they have.

Where I play I have track lighting shining on the board kind of lighting it up, it is pretty cool looking.

skinny1

Post by skinny1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:24 am

I use copies of the damage markers from AA50 for the ICs that get hit by SBRs and Germany's V2 rocket technology. I played against my brother the other night and his UK IC had a stack of 12 damage markers under it: 6 from the rocket in Western Europe and 6 from the bomber used in the SBR. It was sweet seeing the stack of damage markers under the IC.

Coldwarrior1984

Post by Coldwarrior1984 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:31 pm

I printed out IPC certificates and laminated them.

I have little pieces for the Capitols - a white house for washington, a square gray fort for London, a round gray tower turret for Berlin, a Golden Dome for Moscow, and a beige pagoda for Tokyo. All the other victory cities have a little red house on them.

I bought a set of US Marine pieces for use in the Pacific.

I have a dice tower with the A&A map and roundels on it.

I bought a giant map to play on.

I plan to eventually get special dice.

aNjaSqurl

Post by aNjaSqurl » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:44 pm

To begin...AWESOME idea with the magnetic flight deck/stands for the fighters and bombers. I have to begin looking into this as soon as I'm finished typing this....

The only thing I can think of is "official" correspondence between the various powers. One of the banes of game such as Axis and Allies and Risk (for me anyway) is confidential communication between different players. Lets face it. there is only so much that can be said in front of ones enemies and have a prayer of keeping things going in your favor. (Don't believe me...grab a time machine and ask the Nazis how the felt with the Brits reading their mail...) In this modern age I have done everything form have computers for everyone (they brought their own) or text message.

The computers I have found to be distracting. It can be hard enough to remain involved and emerged when turns can take a while to progress. Park a laptop with internet connection in front of everyone and pretty soon no one is paying attention to anything on the board.

Cell phone have their own set of issues. Not the least of which is i I have received messages from an ally not less than three hours after it was sent.

I also don't like losing the atmosphere of the game. The only two options I have found are pretty basic. Passing notes and holding separate meetings.

You can make the notes anything from scraps of paper and a pen to full sheets of paper. They are then passed to allies and messages returned.

The meeting I set up as set "war conferences" after the check for victory phase of a round. The Axis powers go to one room and the Allies to another. Tactics and plans are discussed and then the game resumes.

I'll admit, both of these options slow down the game as it can take a while to pass notes around and to get up and leave the table to chat. They also add to the atmosphere of the game because Churchill and Stalin didn't text and Hitler couldn't hop of Facebook and send off a quick chat to his generals.....I'd like to think that if the real war could be won with what would be seen as technology that would almost be considered to be rudimentary at best I can do the same in my living room.

SithlordRPGA

Post by SithlordRPGA » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:34 pm

I like the idea of different buildings for the major capitals.
a white monopoly house for DC, Gold for Russia, I love the pagoda for Japan I could see a tower for london, castle or clock tower for UK, a large white dome for sydney. I like these ideas