National Advantages

This is the new classic game of Axis & Allies. Designed for 2-5 players, the game is set in 1942 – the historical high-water mark of Axis expansion.
reeper612

National Advantages

Post by reeper612 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:20 pm

Hello there. I have been a huge fan of the revised edition which was given to me by a friend last year. I have been playing it a lot, and only recently learned that there was a newer edition, so I immediately ordered 1942 and finally recieved it today! I have been really excited to play with the new rules, but I was quite surprised to find that the new rules do not contain any national advantages! The national advantages had been one of my favorite aspects of A&A and I was just wondering:

1. if there is an official list of advantages that has been released for 1942 online somewhere

2. If we should just use the same advantages from the revised edition

3. Why were national advantages not included in 1942?

If anyone could help me out with this I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Krieghund

Re: National Advantages

Post by Krieghund » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:44 pm

Welcome, reeper612!

There are no National Advantages in the 1942 Edition. They were removed, along with Research and Development, to streamline the game. I suppose you could use the ones from Revised if you like.

We're glad you're enjoying the games! If you haven't already done so, check out the FAQs for both games here on this website.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

reeper612

Post by reeper612 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:40 pm

I'm really quite sad to hear that, as national advantages are the only things that really differentiate the teams from each other. I am actually quite disappointed because the main reason I bought the 1942 edition was because I really loved the revised edition, but wanted to try the new rules (which I thought would also include new national advantages). As it turns out, I really didn't need to buy the new version because I could have just used the revised board and pieces with the new naval unit rules (the only major difference between the two). I'm now actually considering returning it. :cry:

Is there any chance that there might be an official or semi-official list of national advantages released (even just here on this forum) for the 1942 edition? I hate to drive this point into the ground, but it really was my group's favorite part of the game. I know there is an unofficial list floating around by B. Andersson, but some of the ones on that list seem a bit overpowered, and in any case, we would like to play with a list that is as "official" as possible.

Thanks for the response and sorry to be a downer! I really do love the game! :mrgreen:

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:49 pm

I doubt there will ever be official National Advantages for this game. However, there's nothing stopping you from using the ones from Revised or fan-made ones (BoardGameGeek is an excellent source for these), or even making up your own.

I have to disagree with you about the National Advantages being the only thing that differentiates the powers from each other. Each power's circumstances and geography make for a unique play experience.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

adpac740

Post by adpac740 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:20 am

Son and I tried these recently and liked them. Definitely enhances gameplay. Some are better than others and can get daunting when utilizing all of them.

Will be using again this evening with our gaming group for the first time.
We'll see how it goes. Might have to roll for number of NAs each for the interest of time.

Larry

Post by Larry » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:32 pm

Krieghund... You must be some kind of saint!

Yavid

Post by Yavid » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:36 pm

Larry wrote:Krieghund... You must be some kind of saint!
Saint Knows the Right Answers and Shares Them Quickly or is that more of an Indian name?
Behold the Power of Yavid