Larger Game Board

This is the new classic game of Axis & Allies. Designed for 2-5 players, the game is set in 1942 – the historical high-water mark of Axis expansion.
aNjaSqurl

Larger Game Board

Post by aNjaSqurl » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:22 pm

Hello there to my fellow Axis and Allies enthusiasts. I first played Axis and Allies what feel like a very long time ago (for reference...I know I'm only 24 years old...but Jr. High to me is a "long" time ago) and absolutely LOVED it. I recently had the opportunity to purchase my very own copy of this edition of the game (at least I think it is...) and have had a chance to play it a few times.

My only complaint is the size of the game board and pieces. It is VERY hard for me to see what is going on in some areas (mostly Europe) because it looks to me that there are just piles of little plastic implements of war all over the place. I have been kicking around ideas of a way to create my own, larger board and I stumbled onto this site.

Several questions.

1. I don't want to step into any legal issues moving forward with this project. I have no intent to distribute the finished board. I just want to make a larger game board for my friends and I to use when we get together.

2. Are there any current projects that have already accomplished this goal and can be used as reference? I have no desire to reinvent the wheel here but also want to make the board something I make. That is part of the appeal to me. Playing a game I love on a board I was involved in would only enhance the experience for me.

Krieghund

Re: Larger Game Board

Post by Krieghund » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:28 am

Welcome, aNjaSqurl! We're glad you're enjoying the game.

There are no legal issues with making your own board for your own use. It's only when you start distributing it to others that you can run into problems. I'm sure that some folks who have done this before will reply with tips and suggestions.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Most Holy

Post by Most Holy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:42 am

I don't know where you live, but I live in Canada and I took my 1942 board to Staples which is large office depot. They do photocopying and poster/sign making. They blew my map up to poster size for me for $60 Canadian. I've heard that Kinko's in the USA might have a copyright issue with doing this but check it out. I know spending $60 extra on a $30 game might seem foolish but I've gotten well over $90 worth of enjoyment from my game.
Alternatively you could do what I did for my Anniversary Edition and just draw your own. I have some pictures on my blog. Check them out if you want by using the link in my signature below.
My A&A blog: Home of the Dicetruction Podcast and other A&A related nonsense
http://www.dicetruction.blogspot.com

aNjaSqurl

Post by aNjaSqurl » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:56 am

Well, hopefully the printing won't be to much of an issue. I have a friend that works for a GIS company (they make maps and such). He is hoping his boss will let him print it out there and pay for the supplies. If that doesn't work I'd like to try scanning it myself somewhere but all the scanners I've check on in the last few days have a scanning surface that is much to small, even with the board folded up.