A&A 2Ed - Too easy for Axis?

This is the new classic game of Axis & Allies. Designed for 2-5 players, the game is set in 1942 – the historical high-water mark of Axis expansion.
mib515

A&A 2Ed - Too easy for Axis?

Post by mib515 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:06 pm

Just got 1942 second edition and find it way too skewed in favour for the Axis. Anyone else experiencing that? For example, too easy for Japan to push through China. Our players easily wiped out all Chinese forces in first turn which means there is nothing left to stop or slow Japan advance towards Moscow. We also found it too easy for Germany to wipe out British Navy and maintain control of sea zones around British Isles. Also, Germany puts immediate pressure on Russia, and we were able to capture both Leningrad and Stalingrad early in the game, making it almost impossible for Russia to hold out till rest of Allies get in the game. Makes me wonder how play testing went. Been gaming A&A since 1985 so plenty of experience with this.

Thoughts anyone?

Imperious leader

Re: A&A 2Ed - Too easy for Axis?

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:15 pm

have the Brits take out the Japanese fleet near India using both fighters and fleet off India and Australia.

Have the Americans hit back at Hawaii if Japan goes for it, if not rebuild the US fleet and bring the cruiser from Panama over and US will be in better position to KJF since Japan cant grow that fast ( in terms of IPC's)
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

mib515

Post by mib515 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:27 pm

Attacking Jap fleet with Brits is risky but doable if lucky. However doesn't stop Jap's largely unimpeded push through China. We added Guerrilla units to harrass and slow Jap pace.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:38 pm

It's not that risky, the Brits got more units for soak and looking at the total naval for UK/USA vs. Japan after this attack, Japan is forced to by naval when she should be buying factories and land units.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

XRJohn

Post by XRJohn » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:52 am

Imperious leader wrote:have the Brits take out the Japanese fleet near India using both fighters and fleet off India and Australia.
Imperious leader, I noticed this move before my first game as the Axis. So, I attacked Egypt with the Germans on their first turn with 2 Infantry, 2 Tanks, and 1 Bomber. When the Egypt attack kills the United Kingdom Fighter, the UK attack on the Japanese SZ 37 (East Indies) fleet is crippled.

Here are the odds of:

--UK attack w/ Egypt F on Jpn SZ 37 clears Jpn fleet -- about 57%
--Ger attack on Egypt kills UK F -- about 81%
--UK attack w/out Egypt F on Japanese SZ 37 clears Japanese fleet -- about 24%
--Net odds (81% * 24% + 19% * 57%) -- about 30%

NOTE -- The "net odds" line is the odds the Jpn SZ 37 fleet will be cleared, when Ger attacks Egypt and UK attacks the Jpn fleet with or without the Egypt F.

I think the value of the SZ 37 fleet is important enough to justify Ger committing to the Egypt attack.

raneern99

Post by raneern99 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:30 pm

What if you fly a Russian fighter to Egypt?
Same odds with the fighter (57%)
UK has about a 60% chance of winning the German attack on egypt w/ russian fighter (Germany has ~31% chance)
The net odds (31%*24%+60%*57) -- about 41%. While this still isn't great, if Egypt does survive, the UK has the option of the SZ 37 attack.

raneern99

Post by raneern99 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:30 pm

Same odds with the fighter (57%)
UK has about a 60% chance of winning the German attack on egypt w/ russian fighter (Germany has ~31% chance)
The net odds (31%*24%+60%*57) -- about 41%. While this still isn't great, if Egypt does survive, the UK has the option of the SZ 37 attack.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:01 pm

Great idea!!