A&A 2Ed - Too easy for Axis?

This is the new classic game of Axis & Allies. Designed for 2-5 players, the game is set in 1942 – the historical high-water mark of Axis expansion.
XRJohn

Re: A&A 2Ed - Too easy for Axis?

Post by XRJohn » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:06 am

raneern99 wrote:What if you fly a Russian fighter to Egypt?
I'm glad you mentioned this move. I have been thinking about it for a couple days now, and I haven't been able to decide if it's worth sacrificing the Ukraine attack to send the FTR to Egypt.

From other forum posts, which I don't have up to quote, I get the impression that Imperious leader prefers a W. Russia & Finland R1 attack to the W. Russia & Ukraine attack that I prefer at this point.

If you're taking the IL line, then I think you can should send the fighter from Moscow to Egypt.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:16 pm

Ukraine attack does not give good prospects for Soviets. To make two attacks the Soviets need to leave Karelia for a turn or they will be too weak in other areas.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Hobbes77

Post by Hobbes77 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:30 pm

Imperious leader wrote:Ukraine attack does not give good prospects for Soviets. To make two attacks the Soviets need to leave Karelia for a turn or they will be too weak in other areas.
Have you tried making only 1 attack and holding Karelia with the Soviets during the initial round? I wouldn't advise it...

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:37 pm

They must make two. If they make one they lose two spaces themselves. Finland makes sense because typically, the Soviet player would like to get Norway to cover loses to Germany. Not attacking West Russia means Moscow is under direct threat, since Germany could land her air force in it on her turn and threaten basically everywhere with one pile.
Last edited by Imperious leader on Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

XRJohn

Post by XRJohn » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:04 pm

Imperious leader wrote:Germany could land her air force in it on her turn and threaten basically everywhere with one pile.
Why do you call the Vaterland (that's German for Fatherland for those of you who aren't foreign language buffs) by the female pronoun "her"?

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:37 am

I deal with females in my household, so it carry's in type and speech.

Aran55633

Post by Aran55633 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:28 am

raneern99 wrote:What if you fly a Russian fighter to Egypt?
Same odds with the fighter (57%)
UK has about a 60% chance of winning the German attack on egypt w/ russian fighter (Germany has ~31% chance)
The net odds (31%*24%+60%*57) -- about 41%. While this still isn't great, if Egypt does survive, the UK has the option of the SZ 37 attack.
I do not know if this was taken into account, but Germany could, theoretically, devote the bomber on Germany to attack on Egypt...

Personally, I find that the Jap fleet is VERY important... If Germany can prevent the fighter in Egypt from joining the battle, the tide seems to lean in Japan's favor in the battle, and definitely helps Japan throughout the entirety of the game. If the bomber changes anything, it's worth the sacrifice/risk...

Maybe there's something I haven't seen, though.

Wittman

Post by Wittman » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:10 pm

I am just not happy unless I overkill the UK Home fleet, so I have to use the Bomber there. I am also happy to wait and take Egypt on G2. I believe I cannot fail then.
I do, however, see your point about weakening UK's preemptive strike on Japan by taking out its Egyptian Ft. Nice dilemma, thank you.