Clarification of amphibious assault rule

This game, measuring 35”x32” is compatible with the yet to be released Axis & Allies Europe 1940 game (coming in August 2010). This game includes newly introduced units such as mechanized infantry and tactical bombers.
Post Reply
Blaze_1942
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:27 am

Clarification of amphibious assault rule

Post by Blaze_1942 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:34 am

Hi,

In a scenario where the sea combat of an amphibious assault has failed (preventing any land units being offloaded from the attacking transports) the rules state that 'any other units that were designated to participate in the land attack (including air units) must still conduct one round of land combat in a regular attack on the intended hostile territory before they can retreat.' Does this mean that the other designated units can continue attacking for as many turns as they want or do the rules mean that they are only allowed to conduct one round of combat before they MUST retreat?

In my game I am currently playing I am doing an amphibious assault on Hawaii and obviously no overland units can participate in this battle since it is an island, so the only land units I could send to attack where by transport. However because I lost the sea combat my transports couldn't land so the only thing I have left attacking Hawaii are air units. As we play the game that no air combat can take place unless at least one attacking ground unit is involved surely it follows that all attacking air units MUST retreat once the first round of combat is completed i.e. they can't continue attacking on their own for as many rounds of combat as they want. This is because A) All naval units have already retreated so surely the air units must retreat with them and B) because if not this makes mockery of the amphibious assault rule as the attacking player can exploit this situation to destroy all defending units despite the fact that the main amphibious assault itself has failed and no land units are attacking. If the naval units retreat surely the air units committed to the land battle MUST also retreat after one round of combat.

User avatar
Krieghund
Posts: 2664
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:18 am
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: Clarification of amphibious assault rule

Post by Krieghund » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:02 am

Blaze_1942 wrote:Hi,
Welcome, Blaze_1942!
Blaze_1942 wrote:In a scenario where the sea combat of an amphibious assault has failed (preventing any land units being offloaded from the attacking transports) the rules state that 'any other units that were designated to participate in the land attack (including air units) must still conduct one round of land combat in a regular attack on the intended hostile territory before they can retreat.' Does this mean that the other designated units can continue attacking for as many turns as they want or do the rules mean that they are only allowed to conduct one round of combat before they MUST retreat?
They may continue attacking if you wish.
Blaze_1942 wrote:In my game I am currently playing I am doing an amphibious assault on Hawaii and obviously no overland units can participate in this battle since it is an island, so the only land units I could send to attack where by transport. However because I lost the sea combat my transports couldn't land so the only thing I have left attacking Hawaii are air units. As we play the game that no air combat can take place unless at least one attacking ground unit is involved surely it follows that all attacking air units MUST retreat once the first round of combat is completed i.e. they can't continue attacking on their own for as many rounds of combat as they want.
If that's your house rule, it should be consistently applied. However, no such rule exists in the official rules.
Blaze_1942 wrote:This is because A) All naval units have already retreated so surely the air units must retreat with them
Again, not in the official rules.
Blaze_1942 wrote:and B) because if not this makes mockery of the amphibious assault rule as the attacking player can exploit this situation to destroy all defending units despite the fact that the main amphibious assault itself has failed and no land units are attacking.
This is possible, but in most cases the expensive air units involved are at risk, since there are no land units present to absorb any hits the defender may score.
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests