Possible counters to a broken(...?) strategy?

This game, measuring 35”x32” is compatible with the yet to be released Axis & Allies Europe 1940 game (coming in August 2010). This game includes newly introduced units such as mechanized infantry and tactical bombers.
Swishtail

Re: Possible counters to a broken(...?) strategy?

Post by Swishtail » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:06 pm

Posting both concerns and a recommended fix is much appreciated.

jwingram

Post by jwingram » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:42 am

Swishtail wrote:Posting both concerns and a recommended fix is much appreciated.
Your consideration is appreciated. Here are four solutions which I feel are simpler:

1. Give the US bonus infantry, exact amount to be determined, if Japan attacks any territory in North America. I'm sure there are readers of this forum who can suggest an appropriate number.
2. Start the US with more anti-aircraft and infantry. You can prevent these from being used in the war in the Pacific by requiring a minimum number of them to be kept on the mainland. This still helps the Allies, but in a much less flexible way than 30 free IPCs.
3. Ditch the 30 IPC rule and add a new rule prohibiting Japan from attacking any territory in North America before turn 4. There is ample precedent for a blanket rule like this already in the rules.
4. Modify the new 30 IPC rule so that only an unprovoked declaration of war by Japan that coincides with an attack on a territory in North America gives the US the IPCs. This would allow Japan to declare war on the UK and ANZAC so long as Japan did not attack Canada.

Of the items on this list, #3 and #4 are probably the simplest to implement.

Jonathan
Last edited by jwingram on Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jwingram

Post by jwingram » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:46 am

I should add that in the event of an early DoW by Japan at least one player I know prefers the US to spend the 30 IPCs on submarines, which lets his navy out there to challenge Japan's a whole turn earlier.

He would only spend the IPCs on ground forces if Japan landed in North America.

Jonathan

jwingram

Post by jwingram » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:11 pm

Swishtail wrote:Posting both concerns and a recommended fix is much appreciated.
Option #5: Give the US 10 IPCs instead of 30 IPCs. It still weakens the Japan attack on the US, but doesn't get America's fleet out there a whole turn earlier.

I think AndrewAAGamer first suggested the 10 IPC amount.

Jonathan

jwingram

Post by jwingram » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:08 pm

Option #6: Implement a rule specifically disallowing Japan from entering sea zone 14 before being at war with the US. There is ample precedent for movement restrictions in the rules.

Jonathan